“Old hostel but lovely staff and epic atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of YHA Auckland City

Save Saved
You added YHA Auckland City to your Saves list
YHA Auckland City
4.0 of 5 Hostel   |   cnr City Rd and Liverpool St, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Limerick, Ireland
“Old hostel but lovely staff and epic atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed in City during the last week of June this year. First impressions of the hostel were that it was quite old and basic...there is no central heating and the building is totally uninsulated (Though this seems to be a flaw inherent in all but the most recent buildings here). I'm not sure if I would like to stay here in a particularly cold winter but it was fine while we were here.

While the kitchen could definitely do with a makeover, it is well equipped in general. Similarly the bathrooms on some floors were slightly run-down but adequate. As mentioned before, there are only 2 bathrooms on each floor and this may be a problem during the summer but not so for us, we never had to queue once during our stay. There was also work being done on bathrooms on the 3rd and 4th floors so they look like they'll be pretty swell when finished

The bedroom was perfect. We were in a twin dorm room and while it certainly wasn't a hotel room the bed was comfy and we had more than enough space.

The dining area has to be the biggest draw for us though and it is the one thing that made our stay here one of the best at any hostel I've ever been to. It is a large open area with plenty of tables available. We met up with some great guys from all around the world and had some brilliant nights here (we are students but there were people from all walks of life here) The staff are mostly fellow backpackers or very friendly locals who will generally go out of their way just to help you and make sure you enjoy your stay

All in all, I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to meet loads of great people and have a generally epic time. Older couples or "party animals" may want to stay somewhere closer to town though

Room Tip: Twin dorms definitely provide the most space but otherwise, try to get dorms based on the 3rd/4th fl...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

For some reason, my girlfriend and I could not sleep at YHA either of our two nights, however I don't think that is really the hostel's fault. We had a private double with shared bath on the 7th floor. The place is extremely clean, and although there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of bathrooms on each floor, we never had a problem.

I will say that not having centralized air or heat is a major concern and downfall of this hostel. Our room was very cold the first night, and there were no more heaters available at the desk, so we just soldiered through with extra blankets. The next night, ironically, it was so hot in the room that our windows steamed up just from sleeping. The temperature outside both nights was the same....fortunately the windows opened (but the street below is noisy late at night)

Overall I don't really recommend this hostel, based on quality of sleep. The staff was helpful, the place was spotless (except the kitchen), and the location is great (I really don't understand the huge complaints about the hill...not that bad), and the bed was comfy (except the poor excuse for a pillow). If you are low maintenance or just concerned about cleanliness, you will be just fine staying here.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

YHA City wasa nice hostel to stay at in Auckland. Both times I stayed I was put in a smaller sized dorm than booked. The both rooms had no bunk beds and the bed were comfy. This place isn't a great part hostel, so it might not be the best place to meet new people, but it is quite. The kitchen is big and well stocked. As stated in pervious reviews, the hostel doesn't have a ton of showers. I never had to wait for my turn to take a shower though. ***Tip* Book this hostel online through hostel world and not through YHA website. I don't know why, but it is amost 1/3 cheaper on hostel world. I got a bed in a 3 bed dorm for $13 a night... steal for the quality of the place.

Room Tip: Book on hostel world! Its cheaper
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Haarlem, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

This hostel is ok, except that there are not enough showers on each floor. It is quite old but clean so the oldness of it didn't bother me. I stayed in a 3 bed dorm and there was enough room to put our luggage down etc.

A friend of mine was put in a 2 bed "dorm" with a stranger which was really awkward.

Location is good, the street is steep but normally you only walk up it once or twice a day.

Reception was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I know that i am a tall person, but there is no need for the shower head to be down by my shoulders.
The kitchen was equipped better than some hostels that I stayed in during this trip, but some of the staff were decidedly unhelpful and the building was cookie cutter YHA.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

We stayed four nights in a double room, and I thought I should counter some of the statements others have been making.

Location: yes, this hostel is at the top of a steep road (depending on how you approach it) and is about 20 minutes' walk from the waterfront. But that is Auckland - it's full of hills and you can't really avoid them if you're going to explore the city. But the hostel is also just around the corner from "K Road" - the rather funky/bohemian end of the city, which has loads of op shops, bars and cafes. The food in the area is amazing - loads of japanese, korean, lebanese, turkish and even a very nice french cafe just down the road. There are also lots of bars, both Japanese (karaoke and sake bars) and more traditional pubs

Rooms: We had a double room without ensuite on the fifth floor. There was one shower on the floor, two separate toilets with sinks, and a large laundry-like sink, between approximately 8 rooms. At no time was this a problem. The windows in our room opened just fine, and we had a very nice view of the Auckland tower. The bed was just a double (not a queen) so if you're big this might be a problem. There was plenty of hanging space in the room. We were staying towards the end of Summer and didn't find any problem with the climate, but I did notice there was no heater in the room, or air conditioning, so these might be problematic depending on when you go.

We had no problem with noise and overall our stay was very comfortable. As it happened, we had to extend our stay by one night because our flights were changed. Based on the negative reviews I read here, we booked our final night at the International YHA down the road - but ended up regretting it. We were given a double room with no view and a very noisy air conditioner right outside the window.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Our experience at this hostel was, in one word, inadequate.

The rooms were too hot with windows that hardly opened (health and safety I'm sure!). One shower per floor. But the biggest complaint was the total lack of working fridges, and consequently the poor hygiene. we were booked in for 5 nights and moved to YHA International on day 3. Our food went off overnight. 3 fridges for 135+ guests and to top it all, only 1 fridge closed properly. i made a complaint and was told that there was too much stuff in the fridge! Well, yes... there is going to be when there are inadequate fridges!

having said all that, the room was clean and the bathrooms clean. TV room was ok. Location at top of hill isn't great, but it does you good to walk!

I would not stay here unless you don't need to set foot in the kitchen.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to YHA Auckland City? Share your experiences!