We stayed in City during the last week of June this year. First impressions of the hostel were that it was quite old and basic...there is no central heating and the building is totally uninsulated (Though this seems to be a flaw inherent in all but the most recent buildings here). I'm not sure if I would like to stay here in a particularly cold winter but it was fine while we were here.
While the kitchen could definitely do with a makeover, it is well equipped in general. Similarly the bathrooms on some floors were slightly run-down but adequate. As mentioned before, there are only 2 bathrooms on each floor and this may be a problem during the summer but not so for us, we never had to queue once during our stay. There was also work being done on bathrooms on the 3rd and 4th floors so they look like they'll be pretty swell when finished
The bedroom was perfect. We were in a twin dorm room and while it certainly wasn't a hotel room the bed was comfy and we had more than enough space.
The dining area has to be the biggest draw for us though and it is the one thing that made our stay here one of the best at any hostel I've ever been to. It is a large open area with plenty of tables available. We met up with some great guys from all around the world and had some brilliant nights here (we are students but there were people from all walks of life here) The staff are mostly fellow backpackers or very friendly locals who will generally go out of their way just to help you and make sure you enjoy your stay
All in all, I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to meet loads of great people and have a generally epic time. Older couples or "party animals" may want to stay somewhere closer to town though
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- YHA Auckland City is the ideal backpacker hostel to start or finish your New Zealand adventure. The hostel combines the excitement of the city with a safe and secure environment. Located at the top of Auckland’s Queen Street, this former hotel has backpacker accommodation comprising mainly twin and double rooms with some multi-share rooms and some of our rooms have views over Auckland city. There is a sun deck on the 3rd floor with a BBQ. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Tingo, HostelBookers, HostelWorld, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your YHA Auckland City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland City Yha Hotel Auckland Central
- YHA Auckland City New Zealand