Usually when I write a review I try to list everything good about the place including all the things I would want to know. With this place there is only one good thing. Location. If you want to stay here and I would advise you not to, then read all of the below first.
When stayed here for 2 nights during our 2008 world tour. Everywhere we had stayed in New Zealand had been better than expected so it was a real let down at the end of our trip to suffer the ACB! I stress the suffer!
The only thing going for this place is it's location on Queen Street in Down Town Auckland. We read some of the reviews before booking and decided to take a gamble. I wish we had stayed else where.
We booked a double ensuite room which was very shabby and unclean. It's not a nice feeling to find other peoples toe nail clippings all over the carpet or about 1cm of dust pilled up on top of things. The bed spread was dirty, stank of smoke and had lots of hairs on it.
The windows were all locked and the only air coming into the room was from the air cond. Well it was air cond once! Instead it pumps into the hostel, dirty warm cigerette smoke from top floor so that you and everything you own smells like an ash tray!
The ACB dont seem to employe cleaners. They get residents to "Clean" rooms for them in return for a free stay. The job just does not get done and it shows everywhere you go!
The place stinks of weed! In fact people were smoking it in their rooms, bathrooms, lifts and hall ways. Tell the staff? Yeah Right, they don't care!
The kitchen is appalling! It gets a quick clean by staff overnight but come 10am it's a hole and thats the way it stays! By the time you come round to cook an evening meal its like the entrance to hell! If it was a comercial kitchen it would be shut instantly and the owners prosecuted! Upto 500 residents can stay at this place so look at the below and think to your self, is this acceptable?
3 X microwaves - none worked
3 X fridges - 2 broken
Gas stoves with no ignition, go to reception who give you 1 match
2 X tin openners - both broken and unuseable
1 X saucepan with a handle. No other to be found!
100 X saucepan/frying pan with no handle causing people to burn themselves, me included!!
Flithy, dirty drying towels. No clean ones available at reception
sinks blocked with food and pilled up with dishes.
broken chairs in dinning room
stained table tops
The reception staff were less than helpfull. 1 member in particular! It was disgracefull, how she dealt with an elderly couple staying there who for them hostelling was clearly a first time experience. She was rude and insulting! So much so that I had to tell her so, but she did not really seem bothered!
Will I be back? Yeah, if they decide to tear the place down or only if someone else takes it over and puts some money into the place. If it's still ACB? Not a hope in hell!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award-winning Base Backpacker Auckland is located in the heart of Auckland city, less than 5 minutes walk to everywhere. We have fun working here so we know you'll have fun staying in our hostel. Former ACB, Base Auckland hostel is located in the heart of the city - central to shops, cafes, museums, Sky tower and only a few minutes walk to train, bus and ferry terminals and Vector Arena. The airport bus (Airbus) stops right outside our door! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, HostelWorld, Agoda, Travelocity, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Base Auckland Central Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Base Auckland Central Backpackers Hotel Auckland Central
- Base Auckland Central Backpackers New Zealand