“Great location to start trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour

You added The Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour to your Saves list
The Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   85 - 89 Customs St W | Viaduct Harbor, Auckland 1001, New Zealand   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
BEST PRICE GUARANTEE
Ranked #18 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Worcs. England
“Great location to start trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2007

Had two nights here having arrived from the 24 hour flight from England and could not have had better accommodation. We had a studio; it was very comfortable, clean and spacious. The kitchen facilities were excellent, although our prep in it was limited to drinks, meals could have been cooked with ease, and if we had done so the dish washer was there for that job. Our main use was of washing machine and dryer, a boon for travellers. Bathroom had walk in shower, always appreciated, with plenty water, towels etc. The bed was huge and very comfy (as are most in NZ) and there were casual chairs was well as dining chairs to choose from. Our view was of Sky Tower and City, and the location was ideal. Lots of flat walks, bars and restaurants to choose from; ideal place to recover from jet lag. There was access to leisure facilities at a nearby centre and had we been there longer I would have used the pool. Would stop here again, if lucky enough to make another trip, and no hesitation in recommending the hotel.

Stayed November 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2007

Two business partners and I stayed at The Sebel Suites for five nights in January 2007. The rooms were modern and clean and the inclusion of a washer and dryer and kitchenette were nice additions. One of our rooms, a Marina Deluxe Suite, had a very nice few of the Viaduct Harbour (in my limited opinion, the best place to stay in Auckland) while the others, Studio Suites, had "city" views, which were less interesting, but at around $108 a night, still great bargains. If you're going for a city view room, I recommend requesting one that ends in 24, as these are on corners and have additional windows and better views. As for negatives, not too many, but I'd avoid the limited room service breakfast, the menu is quite limited and the food not the best.

If you need a small meeting space while in Auckland, as we did, a Marina Deluxe Suite is a good location with abundant sitting room, a full kitchen and large table, plus the great views I mentioned above.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room service
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2007

Stayed here for two nights. This hotel has a great location right on the Viaduct Harbour. In fact, I didn't even realize that when I booked the room, so this was a pleasant surprise.
The one-bedroom suites are a pretty decent size, with a separate bedroom and living/dining area. There's also a kitchen, with frig, dishwasher, stove, etc. This is great if you are staying long-term. There is even a small washer and dryer right in the room, which can save you lots of money. (Hotel laundry services are usually ridiculously overpriced.)

There are a ton of restaurants right outside the hotel's back door, on Viaduct Harbour.

This hotel has no fitness center, but there is a fitness facility nearby that the guests may use. (I didn't use the facility, but I believe there is an additional cost for this.) Also, I don't think there is a concierge in this hotel. If that is important, you may want to look elsewhere.

I would definitely stay here again.

Happy travels.

• Liked — The size of the room and the separate bedroom
  • Disliked — Lack of a concierge and lack of an on-site fitness center
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Emsworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

We stayed at the Sebel for 4 nights from the 27th December for the first part of our Honeymoon.
After almost 24 hours of flying we were not disappointed by the first impression of the Sebel, even though it was the middle of the night our luggage was taken from our cab and delivered promptly to our room.
We stayed in a studio suite overlooking Viaduct Harbour and what a fantastic view greeted us.
The location is brilliant, everything we could have asked for right on our doorstep, a good choice of bars, restuarants etc...the noise wasn't an issue for us and in any case with the balcony doors shut it was barely audible anyway. I really don't understand why anyone would complain about the noise of a city centre hotel, surely some noise is to be expected?

The suite itself was comfortable, furnished to a good standard and offers a superb base to explore Auckland from, especially if you don't fancy venturing into the city for dinner as many good restuarants are right there in the harbour.

All in all a pleasant stay and a fantastic beggining to our Honeymoon, if we ever visit New Zealand again then the Sebel will certainly be on our list of places to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

I got a fantastic rate from wotif and booked a marina view room for about $NZ 215. This was a proper suite ie with a seperate bedroom from the kitchen/ bar/ dining room / lounge. The suite was very large (bigger than my flat), was modern clean & very stylishly furnished. And the suite & balcony had a fantastic view over the marina & harbour. Perfect location. Nice and quiet in the room even with bars below open. Mini bar prices very reasonable too.

I have stayed in top end hotels around the world. If you need 5 star services like proper conciege, bell desk then don't stay here. There is no pool either. But the suites are super comfortable and if you get a good rate, unbeatable value.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
Kauai, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2006

I stayed at the Sebel for 2 nights starting Oct 20-22. It was the perfect place for me. I had 1 bedroom Suite overlooking the city. From the moment I opened the door to my room, I knew it was a special place. The Suite was tastefully decorated. The living room couch was on the small side and the Queen bed was very comfortable. The views was just outstanding. The Auckland Tower was just hard to miss as it stared me from every angle of my living room.
Since it was the weekend, the evening is a party atmosphere downstairs along the water. If you open your windows and the sliding door, it can become distracting. As I kept it shut, there was no noise. If you can reserve a room higher up, I dont think the noise will be a problem.
Queen street was a 5 minute walk. All the souvenier shops sell the same things and I realize if you purchase gifts such as postcards, t shirts, mugs, etc., the shops along Custom Street and the first souvenier shops on Queen street is a preview of what youll find further up towards the tower.

• Liked — rhe room
  • Disliked — the front staff...snooty
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Belfast, United Kingdom
1,246 helpful votes 1,246 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for three nights in August of 2006 as part of a round the world trip, and found the Sebel Suites to be very good.

The location is right on the waterfront and there are a few very good bars and restaurants on the door step.

The suites were clean and tidy, and had a moderately sized double bedroom, good bathroom with separate shower, kitchenette, laundry facilities and a small living area. They were perfect for us as a couple for our short stay. Each day the rooms were fully serviced and dishes done for us. From our small balcony we could see the Sky Tower (when it wasn’t completely obscured by cloud and fog).

The concierge was helpful in arranging a day trip to Waitomo Caves and Rotorua in advance of us arriving in NZ, and provided us with our booking receipts and information the evening we arrived.

The couple of small complaints which we had were that one of the roller blinds in the bedroom was broken and actually fell off when I went to shut it. I phoned reception and they assured us that we wouldn’t be charged as they already knew of the problem. I actually fixed this myself as I wasn’t keen on having a maintenance man working in our room late at night. It was however inspected the next day. The second thing which I noticed was that the hotel was being refurbished. During our time the corridor we were staying in was covered in newspaper and masking tape, and the walls and doors were extremely dusty from sanding. No doubt this is only temporary and will look good once it is finished, but it is something to be aware of at the present time.

Auckland itself wasn’t as good as we had hoped. Unfortunately it poured for the whole of the three days we were there which certainly had an impact, and meant that we did not get to enjoy the outdoors and waterfront. But beyond that, it is not very traditionally ‘Kiwi’ and there are a lot of cultures competing with each other. In my opinion it certainly does not compare to Christchurch or Wellington, and it is nothing like Sydney.

If we were ever to return to Auckland, which would only be for a short stopover, then it is likely that we would return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour? Share your experiences!