“The place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Lafayette, La.
“The place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I used the airport car pickup and when we arrived the day manager greeted me personally, brought our bags and showed us around including offering to sign us up for the 1865 club giving us free wi-fi for the three nights. She was so personable I thought she must have thought we were important! Everyday I saw her was similar and we found all of the service, quality of the room, bar and restaurant to be excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Lyttelton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We first stayed at The Langham in November this year, for two
nights. On arrival I immediately knew that I had made a good choice. The reception staff were very welcoming and pleasant and had the balance of friendliness, mixed with professionalism just right. The offer to take our bags to our room was declined – we only had two small 'flight bags'.

The room we had was large and had the most comfortable King bed I have ever slept in. The pillows were perfect and the linen crisp and fresh. A fridge contained a mini bar and fresh milk. The room had a large writing desk; large flat screen TV; comfortable chairs, two bedside lights; ample storage space; excellent lighting and air-conditioning.

The bathroom was spotless with a very good shower over the bath and an de-misting mirror and an ample supply of fresh bath, face and hand towels.

At night, a lovely touch was the complimentary spring water and chocolate on the pillow.

Our deal included a full buffet breakfast with an incredible selection to choose from: the usual favourites and fresh fruit, cheeses and yoghurts.

Nothing in this hotel is too much trouble and the staff are attentive without being intrusive. It's apparent that all staff undergo extensive customer care training and without exception are friendly, helpful and very pleasant.

This was my first stay at The Langham and I did worry that I might not be 'rich or famous' enough to stay there. I was SO wrong and I felt totally at ease. Me as the customer was the staff's first concern, regardless of the 'level' of room one was in.

I have just visited Auckland again this month, December 2013 and after one horrendous night at another establishment, I hurriedly went on line and booked my remaining two nights at The Langham.

This time, the deal didn't unfortunately include breakfast so I took the opportunity to dine out.

The Langham has an Airport Express bus stop very near (ideal for traveling from and to the airport) and other bus routes pass outside. Taxis are available too of course.

I have decided that next time I visit Auckland I won't bother to look for anywhere else to stay, I'll simply stay there again. I'm not sure if they have a 'frequent stayer' card, but I'll stay anyway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for your warm words and we are delighted to hear that you enjoy staying with us. It’s always our pleasure to ensure every guest feels welcome and at ease when they make The Langham their home away from home. You are correct, we do have staff training programmes in place and this a vital part of our commitment to providing exceptional service for our guests. We also offer a loyalty programme which you can find on our website under the 1865 tab (https://1865.langhamhotels.com/) or you can ask to be enrolled when you next check in. It offers some great benefits for our frequent stayers including express check-in/out and complimentary internet. We shall look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager
Dunedin, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Just spent the night at Stamford Plaza Auckland. Valet parking $20. Very reasonable. Came to the Langham to meet friends for breakfast. $40 valet parking on the forecourt for an hour. Certainly won't be back to either stay or visit. Totally out of proportion.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
USA-OHIO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

My only reason for not giving it an excellent rating is that it is far from the harbor area. It felt like we were away from the center of things. Staff was great as were the rooms. Wonderful amenities and beautiful lobby with afternoon tea served in the midst.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed here in November for one night en-route to Shanghai. We landed at the airport and were greeted by the hotel chauffeur. A relaxing ride to the hotel, which was followed by being greeted at the hotel and then taken straight to our room to check in. Room was lovely, really spacious, loads of amenities. We ate in the lobby bar for lunch...so glad we did. It was really good and the portions were huge....and not a rip off like a lot of 5* hotels. We used the hotel free shuttle service as it was heavy rain. Perfect...dropped us off near the harbour and then picked us up again. Breakfast was great....a buffet style with the usual hot/cold selections. Eggs benedict, yoghurt fountain, pancakes etc.
As we were on another long flight that evening we decided to try the afternoon tea. Brilliant! Well worth the money....and again....large portion! The staff were so helpful...nothing was a problem. Even while we were waiting to leave for the airport the staff were asking if we needed anything...drinks, magazines etc. The Langham chain is definitely one we will be using in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Great time I felt like a princess the staff are fantastic. Stayed for High tea and it was amazing.
the restaurant eight had so much food to choose from it was a great experience.
I would recommend The Langham to couples and spoil your selves

Room Tip: up grade your stay and enjoy the Langham club experience.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is what I call an old world luxury. Marble bathrooms with a little leather box that has immaculately presented travel amenities in a pink package: comb, dental and even talcum powder! Plush robes and deep tub to take a nice bath. My room is furnished with oriental wardrobe, has flat screen TV, mini fridge, adapters !!!, French coffee press and great selection of teas. The view is uneventful (653) but the room is very comfortable. The hotel has a great pool and spa on the second floor and complementary fitness center and spa facility usage. I went for a swim and used sauna and herbal steam room. What I missed were brushes, mouth rinse and other little things that we are so spooled when staying in luxury hotels in USA. The hotel desk clerk was going through training and was not very helpful, but friendly. The hotel is about 25 min from the ocean front.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Langham, Auckland? Share your experiences!