“Partial Luxury” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Wellington, New Zealand
“Partial Luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Last weekend, including Anzac Day we stayed at the Langham Auckland for 3 nights.
Whilst this is billed as a luxury hotel I would say this is stretching the truth really.
the public areas of the hotel are nice and well maintained. However the furniture and decor of our room was dated and tired. The furniture was scratched and the wallpaper very drab. The size was good. Bathroom included shower over bath. For me this is not luxurious and for some folk quite dangerous. There was no non-slip mat. The bed was comfortable. Airconditioning worked well and we were comfortable at all times. The restaurant 8 was very busy Sunday morning. We had to wait in line for a seat and there did not seem to be enough staff to handle a full restaurant. The food selection was impressive. However I did not like seeing a spoon swimming in dirty water that was used to serve the scrambled egg! I do realise this was to make serving easier as the egg would "slip" off the spoon and not stick.
I was less than impressed in the Lunch Menu. Not inspiring to me.
We didn't eat dinner here.
We also tried the bar where High Tea and light lunches are served. The club sandwich was average but not outstanding. I became quite ill after this meal.
Location is such that a complimentary van takes guests to town. Used this and very satisfactory especially when I told the driver I was unwell.
Staff throughout the hotel were very helpful and polite. Good welcome on arrival and speedy check in. Women dressed in "pink channel like suits"-pretty.
Overall it is pleasant and will appeal to those who like traditional.
However I feel the room we stayed in could be updated to make it more appealing.
I did not love the room it was just ok.
Black soap to me is unappealing. The other products were also in black plastic and were very average looking.

Room Tip: A higher floor and most probably an executive room may be more luxurious if that's what you'...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry you were disappointed with the décor of your room. Our entry level Classic Rooms are of a more basic standard but our Executive and Club Rooms offer a higher standard of decor if you prefer something more luxurious. Thank you for your positive words about our helpful staff. The women in pink are our Langham Service Stylists and they are always stationed in the lobby to provide assistance for our guests and help with any queries.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed for two nights in one of the Langham Club rooms. on the 10th floor of the Langham in Auckland. This was after staying at two other 4 star plus hotels in Auckland. The whole Langham experience was delightful, excellent service, friendly & helpful staff, great room, and the use of the Club facilities made the whole stay very good. It certainly showed up the lower level of standard of alternative hotels in Auckland. Although more expensive, the cost is quickly forgotten when comparing value for money. I would recommend using the Club.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Thank you for your warm feedback about our staff and hotel – and good to know you enjoyed the luxurious facilities on our Langham Club level. Our Club Rooms offer guests a range of exclusive Club privileges, including butler service and complimentary drinks and canapés. They are perfect for guests who enjoy that added touch of luxury and we agree, they do offer excellent value if you like to be spoiled!
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My room was average, however the service was superb, and very clean. In understand that once I stay more frequently I will likely be upgraded as I've joined the 1865 club.
Having said that, my room was adequate for what I required, just a little smaller than I'm used to.
I will definitely be staying again as the location to where my head office is situated is perfect.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I didnt get to spend much time in the hotel as was there on business but was impressed with what i saw. The housekeeping service was impeccable and the staff knew exactly how i liked my room. Brillaint service in that regard. The gymnasium was decent but could definately use more weights. The equipment available was of a good standard though. Reception and Concierge were superb as were the breakfast staff and chefs. Always provided service with a smile. The service at the lobby bar/restaurant (I cant recall the name) seemed a bit hit and miss but that was probably due to a massive rush that seemed to materialise out of nowhere on the Sunday evening. Nothing to complain about. All in all a great experience and I would definately stay and reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Was an awesome place to stay. We felt very welcome from the time we arrived until we left. Staff were excellent and made sure we had everything we needed. Room was lovely and bed was extremely comfortable. Dinner at the Eight restaurant is something I can recommend. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 42nd wedding anniversary and wanted something special to begin our adventures in New Zealand. The Langham was just the ticket. We were so exhausted from the long flight to Auckland that even when we were confused about when our arrival really was (crossing the international date line), the front desk staff helped us out beautifully. We loved our room, really quiet and spaced well. The breakfasts were amazing, great food choices and friendly and ever so helpful staff. The concierge crew were fabulous! Helped us find places to eat nearby, things to do and explore, and a final send off of an itinerary for the rest of our time in New Zealand. Everyone is so well trained and welcoming! Even the valet guys gave us big smiles and encouragement when we returned from our adventures. We were there for five nights. The location was perfect for walking downtown for shops, restaurants, museums, etc. There were two restaurants across the street that we loved; DaVinci's and Number Five. We didn't use the spa because there was just too much more to do. Would return in a heartbeat especially because of the great staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

if you are looking for a true 5 star experience then the Langham is the place for you to stay, from the presentation of the room to the warm welcoming from the staff, the food is tasty and enjoyable. Whilst you certainly pay for the experience, it is an experience that is worth paying for, the simple pleasure of nothing is too much trouble by everybody was great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Langham, Auckland? Share your experiences!