“Langham - Lovely!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Langham - Lovely!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I decide to stay here because of its location, away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Auckland. This was a great choice since the hotel is on major bus routes taking you just about anywhere you desire. Our room was grand and left nothing to be desired. Our bed was turned down nightly with a chocolate on our pillows. The staff of the hotel was very professional, to be expected in such a high end property. Now, the sticker shock! Breakfast cost $58 or "only" $29 for a cold breakfast. Dinner cost $80 and this was in the cafe, not the upper crust dining room. In addition the hotel had annoying extra charges for toll free calls and for use of the business centre. Give me a break! We chose this hotel as the climax of our 3 week trip to Australia and New Zealand. While it was grand, these petty charges spoiled an otherwise delighful experience. Before you stay here, check other properties that don't stick you with petty charges!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in late Nov 2012, through a wotif 'mystery' deal. Everything was pretty good.Check-in was a real surprise - we were standing happily waiting for the other couple of people in front of us to be finished with their check-in, when one of the staff on the floor came over to us and asked if we needed help. We replied we were just waiting to check in and quite happy to do so. But she said to accompany her to another desk just a few meters away, and she took complete ownership of our check-in, even enrolling us members of the hotel's club on the spot, which had the added bonus that our Internet access for the entire stay was free (even though we didn't really qualify). I was pretty knocked out by all of this. Room (#670) was very good, but only two comments I would make (because no-one at the hotel asked me): the power points in this room are scarce (only two outlets at the desk, and one of these was taken up by the desk light), plus they are rather hard to access (e.g. to plug in computer, or iron). My colleague (room #639) had a nice power-board next to his desk which was lacking in my room. Also, the big chest of drawers wobbled badly when ever I opened a drawer in it. But on the plus side, this is one of the few hotel rooms I have stayed in (and I've stayed in a lot) where (a) the chair at the desk was a sensible height for working at the desk (I often have to add a pillow or cushion to address this issue, and I am _not_ short or otherwise restricted) and (b) the desk lighting was also good. Both of these points are important to me, since I am usually having to work whilst staying in the room.

Room Tip: If you have to work while staying, make sure you ask for a room with adequate and accessible power p...
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My Husband and i stayed here on our wedding night. We were really impressed with the standard of service and the quality of the rooms. All the faclities are amazing including the restaurant and spa/pool area. Our room was on the road side, but we couldn't hear a thing. We had breakfast in the Eight restaurant the next morning, and it was one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. I can't fault this hotel at all, and it is worth every cent. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I love this hotel. From the minute I arrived in my car to the point I left, the customer service was stunning. I do not ever remember going to any hotel where the staff were just so consistantly fabulous. Who ever the manager is, and what ever training the staff are being given, both deserve very high praise. The roof top swimming pool and spa area is superb, the food is great, the atmosphere is great, the bed was really comfortable. Well done The Langham, keep up the excellent work and set this brilliant example for others. Just being there made me feel happy.

melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The hotel service and the rooms were excellent. We dined at 8 restaurant buffet and the selection and quality of food was marvellous - seafood to die for and fish cooked to your choice.
Slightly further to the CBD and waterfront than we prfer but they provide a free shuttle bus every hour. Great gym. Very helpful staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
tlakl, General Manager at The Langham, Auckland, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Good to hear you enjoyed you stay and your meal at Eight – we agree, it’s great to have your food cooked to order! We have a very talented team at Eight and they make the most of our wonderful fresh local ingredients. Our personal trainers at Chuan Health Club will be pleased to hear your feedback – they are very passionate about helping our guests stay fit and healthy.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We have stayed at the Langham quite a few times, but our last stay was marred by their credit card policy, I am used to presenting my credit card on arrival, and usually pay for any charges with cash. This time they deducted $150.00 for potential credit card spend, and when I paid in cash on departure, said that our credit card $150.00 would be held for five working days before being released back to us - this policy is very unfair, and will ensure we don't stay their again.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

A great hotel with good staff at a very good rate. I can't think of many places I've stayed where I've been so impressed by the value for money.

Beds are a touch soft, the tv picture is a bit mediocre, but that's all easily forgiven.

Not sure if location is optimal for tourism but it worked for me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Langham, Auckland? Share your experiences!