“Rooms Okay - Breakfast Excellant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Auckland

You added Rydges Auckland to your Saves list
Rydges Auckland
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   59 Federal Street, Cnr Kingston Street | Central City, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
UK
“Rooms Okay - Breakfast Excellant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

As many reviewers have stated the rooms are rather small by New Zealand standards, but the room was clean. We booked a standard superior king room with breakfast making use of the discount offered by joining the Rydges Priority Guest Membership (free to join online).
We apparently received an upgrade with our room booking to a Deluxe King Room - I can only assume we did not receive this upgrade as the bed was only queen size, the view was of an apartment block and there was no bath - we did not complain as the room was clean and comfortable and the reception staff appeared a little pre-occupied with their own conversation!!!
The restaurant, was a pleasant surprise - the girls (particularly the German girl) were very friendly & helpful - we enjoyed the Signature dish which was cooked excellently. The breakfast was very good value and quite delicious, definitely worth adding to your booking!
We would stay again, but would probably double-check the features of the room we were booking. The lack of opening windows with the apartment block opposite only a few meters away made the room quite claustrophobic.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, May 15, 2011
Hello,

Like so many guests at Rydges Auckland it’s fantastic to see that you have also joined the Rydges Priority guest program and yes, gained so many benefits immediately when you stay and its free to join!

I can advise that all rooms at Rydges Auckland have either one King size bed or two Queen beds in our twin rooms. Because there was only one bed in your room I can confirm that it is actually a King size bed. I can appreciate that sizing of beds varies depending on the country but for New Zealand the beds in all our rooms, where there is one bed, a King size bed has been installed.

It concerns me to read of the comments related to the reception staff only interested in their own conversation, this is unacceptable behaviour and will be discussed in more detail with that department. Our guests are our primary and only focus to hear that this behaviour has occurred genuinely concerns me.

Yes our STK restaurant is truly out of this world, the food is amazing and the service offered matches it. I’m so pleased that you agree with what we have strived for and now achieve and hear so often about from our diners that have experienced it.

As a central city hotel often our views are restricted, however on your next visit be sure to book one of our Deluxe Harbourview rooms, these rooms have magical views of the Harbour that is just as stunning at both day and night; a feature of Rydges Auckland that we are extremely fortunate and proud to boast about.

It would be great to show these views off to you, be sure to let us know when you are returning.

Quenton.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Korean first
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

We stayed here on the 28th of Dec. Booked and received a Deluxe Harbourview King located on an upper floor with a great view and yes we paid a premium rate for it. It was a great room and no complaints at all. We checked out the next morning with plans to be back on the 31st for NYE and Jan 1. Booked the same type of room - Deluxe Harbourview King. What we got was a shoe box with nothing close to a harbour view and a queen size bed. When we spoke to Elizabeth on the front desk she assured us that was a harbour view room - judge for yourself - take a look at the picture. But what was most incredulous was that Elizabeth said, and I quote "the bed was one of the new size kings". Wow - I didn't know that Rydges had the clout to dictate international standards on mattress sizing. Or perhaps the plan was to insult our intelligence and we would settle for that. As there were no other rooms available we were obliged to accept the bait and switch tactics of this hotel and keep this over priced, fraudulently advertized room. And yes we paid the inflated price as the room had been pre-booked over the internet.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review on your recent experience at Rydges Auckland Hotel, despite the nature of such a review it is beneficial for the hotel to be aware of our guests and their opinions, and improve on where possible; something that I’m committed to achieving.
In relation to your concern over the second room you booked not appearing to have the same view of the harbour as the first room is concerning for me as rooms that have Harbourview in their name obviously must have views of the Harbour otherwise we would be guilty of false representation. From the photo’s you provided I think you would agree that we have not falsely represented what our rooms offer.

Your comment on Elizabeth stating that the bed is a King size is actually correct. Obviously Rydges do not set the standards of bed size, an unusual comment or assumption of yours; however the supplier that manufactures the beds along with actual measurements of the beds that match international standards, I think you agree will be enough to determine that they are king size beds.

All rooms at Rydges Auckland recently underwent a review of the two points you raised, that being view of the Harbour and size of the bed. I’m pleased to inform that this has been completed.

I don’t believe there was ever any intention to question ones intellect, but I do apologise if you felt this way.

It would be great to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland where I’m confident your previous misconceptions of the views and size of bedding would be clarified.

Worcestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

Booked Harbour View King room on booking.com well in advance & got a good price. We had a lovely room with double aspect - harbour on one side & view of Sky Tower on other. Unnerving the first time someone bungee jumps from it.
Good location, quiet yet convenient & very helpful reception staff. Housekeeping a bit iffy, clean enough but only one towel, no shower gel or shampoo so had to call for them. Minor stuff but shouldn't happen in a hotel of this quality. Great little coffee bar on ground (excuse the pun) floor. Would recommend to all.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for your review. May I suggest for your future bookings that you book directly via Rydges Auckland’s own website, this will ensure that you get the very best price and deals on offer.

I’m pleased that you managed to capture both a harbour and Sky Tower view from your room, it’s also pleasing to hear that you experienced firsthand the quality service that we provide to all our guests at Rydges Auckland. This is something that we do with immense pride, as we understand this is the core ingredient of the industry we operate in and we will continue to focus on enhancing this for an even better experience.

Your comment on the replenishing of room amenities will be made aware to our housekeeping department – as we need to ensure that we get this right for every guest.

It’s great that you experienced our ‘Barista on the Corner’ coffee bar, this is very popular with all guests and many many locals; it’s a fine compliment to our STK restaurant and bar which if you never utilised on this visit be sure to experience them both on your next visit.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Clemons, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

We stayed here the first night of our 2 week honeymoon. We were immediately impressed with this hotel as we entered it. It was very clean and the receptionist was very kind and helpful! When we got to our room, much to our surprise there was a nice card congratulating us on our recent wedding and a complementary bottle of wine, VERY WELCOMING! We would definitely stay here again if we are ever in the area! The only downfall we felt was the price of parking.....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Yes, Congratulation! and thank you for sharing your very memorable occasion and very satisfying experience of Rydges Auckland with everyone.

It’s a delight to hear that all the little extra touches that Rydges Auckland continues to provide does actually make a difference, doing these little extras is what we are all about at Rydges Auckland. This is something that we genuinely pride ourselves on, as we know the very positive and surprising difference it can make to anyone's stay.

Be sure to return on your anniversary where we can again host you to a wonderful experience, which we hope you would include our signature restaurant ‘STK’ - I’m confident you will be impressed – thank you again and be sure to let us know when you return.

Once again CONGRATULATIONS and wishing you both all the very best!

South Korea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

What a disgusting feeling I had when I realized the bedhead, windows and other furniture hand jelly-like handmarks all over them - particularly the headboards of both beds! I shudder to think what had happened in this room the night before.

After pointing this out to staff they kindly upgraded us to a better room - and rightfully so.
Nevertheless my family and I shall never return here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

It is extremely disappointing to read of your experience with the state of your room. This is very concerning for myself and I can assure you that this incident will be addressed with the appropriate teams and personnel within the hotel. It is completely inexcusable to be provided with a room that has not been fully cleaned and I am deeply apologetic for this.

At Rydges Auckland we strive to maintain the highest levels of cleanliness and service and its disappointing that we did not level up to this standard on this occasion. I would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to Rydges Auckland but I understand your impression has been marred by this incident, I hope this can be reconsidered, which would give Rydges Auckland the opportunity to prove to you the level of cleanliness and service that we are proud of.

With sincere apologise

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

The hotel is in a good position, near the skytower.
Rooms are clean albeit small. Despite these good aspects, I purchased a room with harborview only to find myself on the 5th floor (out of 14) with basically no view whatsoever.
This is not all, since internet is not free in the room. You have to pay 30$ a day to get internet in the room or you can go downstairs in the lobby to use wifi (as I am doing right now) which is deadly slow.
And I paid 240 dollars a night for this... unbelievable...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear recent Guest,

The subject of your review is obviously very concerning for myself, a point that I find very alarming that warrants serious investigation.

With conducting such an investigation you will be pleased to know that the entire hotel has under gone an audit of all rooms to determine which rooms have harbour views and which rooms do not. I can understand that for you this investigation is too late but I feel it’s important to know that we take all our reviews very seriously.

The findings of such an audit has warranted a change in the naming and types of certain rooms at Rydges Auckland, this process has now been completed and I’m confident to say that what you experienced has been resolved and will not reoccur. Level 6 is now the first level at Rydges Auckland that has designated harbour view rooms and the names of the rooms and the website have been amended to reflect this.

In relation to your internet concerns, in the southern hemisphere it is standard for hotels to charge for in-room internet services, however I’m aware that in Boston, America, where you’re from, this service is often included as a free service in the rooms of many hotels. I believe this will change in the southern hemisphere but currently it is a standard service to charge. Rydges Auckland has taken the first step towards this free internet service by providing it free of charge from the hotel lobby, but I am sorry you found this free internet service slower than what you expected.

On your return please ensure you book on Rydges Auckland’s own website to ensure that you are provided with the very best prices on offer.

It would be great to see you back so you can see for yourself the changes that have been made.

Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

I stay in hotels nearly every week for business and work as a consultant to the hotel industry and could not fault this hotel. It was awesome (no it wasn't a freebie so i could rave about it for I am very much a hotel critic). The check-in staff were great, the rooms exceptionally good for a hotel of this star rating with fantastic decor and amenities. Dinner was great in the restaurant and I had the most delicious breakfast I've had in a while. It's in a great location too. I normally stay at a 5 star hotel that is so much more expensive than this one but won't be anymore. Well done Rydges Auckland!

• Stayed February 2011
Adrian,

Thank you very much for your professional and qualified review of Rydges Auckland. We believe we have a very unique and exceptional hotel in a perfect location that offers the highest standard in both product and service.

It’s always pleasing to read reviews from qualified sources, we understand that it requires a constant focus from all of the team to maintain and even raise these standards even further, which is what we will continue to focus on now and in the future.

Thank you again Adrian, it’s reassuring to know that we are getting it right. We look forward to seeing you back soon at Rydges Auckland.

Quenton

Been to Rydges Auckland? Share your experiences!