“best hotel in AKL” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Auckland

You added Rydges Auckland to your Saves list
Rydges Auckland
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   59 Federal Street, Cnr Kingston Street | Central City, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney, Australia
“best hotel in AKL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I travel to Auckland few times a year and always stay at different hotels. Rydges Auckland is located in the center of CBD Auckland and only a minute walk to Skytower, Intercity coach stops, supermarket, shops, and restaurants but the inside of hotel/room was always quiet. The hotel is actually modern looking and my room had modern facilities as well. I felt comfortable to be staying at Rydges with friendly and professional staffs and modern room. I will stay at Rydges in Auckland again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
What a lovely review, we certainly appreciate you sharing your experience with us and others of your recent stay at Rydges Auckland. Our location is fantastic with everything like attractions, shops, restaurants and transport right on our doorstep.
Thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon. We especially love your review title..
Quenton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of nights and enjoyed the experience. Nice quiet room with good natural light. Clean and neat with good facilities either in the hotelier nearby.
Good sized room.
Llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your lovely review, I am so pleased you had a wonderful experience with us during your recent stay and I hope your next isn’t too far away.
Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Spent two nights after a long flight from the UK great rooms superb bathroom, and a great view off the Sky Tower next door , you could view folks sky jumping off the tower from the bedroom, food could not fault it , great place to get around the City.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a Sky tower view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
It certainly sounds like you had a great experience with us during your short stay in Auckland, did the view of the Sky Jumpers tempt you in trying it for yourself? It’s something I have been meaning to do but something always (conveniently) comes up...
Thank you so much for your wonderful review and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland again very soon.
Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed here for two nights pre cruise and were satisfied with the room and checkin and location. The problem arose when checking out, what looked like half the entire hotel wanted to check out at the same time. This was made worse by the arrival of the disembarking cruise passengers wanting to check in ! There did not appear to be any extra staff to deal with the masses of people all with luggage. Not well enough organised.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, I hope you had a wonderful time on your cruise. That’s something I would love to do with my wife sometime in the future. Thank you for your review, I apologise for the delay in your check out and I hope this did not hinder your arrival for your cruise.
Warm regards,
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

The check-in process was fast and easy. I was surprised that I wasn't offered the opportunity not to join their loyalty program though, as that seems to be standard when you don't already have that number on the booking.
I stayed in a Deluxe Harbour View Room, although the harbour view was minimal. Most of the view was of an apartment block that was on the opposite side of the road.
The linens are in desperate need of being replaced. The pillow covers are turning yellow, and the bed sheets, were in places, literally threadbare, and the bed sheets still had little black hairs on them. Not what I would have expected for this type of establishment.
If I can continue to be critical, for a deluxe room, the furnishing wasn't exactly great. There was mismatched furniture - most things were of a dark wood, but even then they didn't match, and then this odd, modern glass desk which didn't fit in at all. A single piece of artwork in the room, while other main walls remain bare. It doesn't affect the quality of the stay at all, but it goes to speak to the attention to detail (or lack thereof).
One of the main reasons for staying at this property was the great location in that it was quite central and within walking distance to most of my meetings. However, there was significant rain during my stay, which isn't totally out of the realms of possibility in Auckland, however there were no umbrellas in the hotel room, and none at reception - sorry sir, but we're all out. Seriously?? This was not just on one occasion, but on consecutive days. Simply amazing. I have serious reservations about staying there again, especially when there are other hotels for a comparable price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We love hearing from our guests as your thoughts and suggestions often bring to light what we may be missing and what you think would make your stay with us more enjoyable. And you are right, it may be time to order in some new umbrellas, you only notice just how many go missing on a rainy day when the next one comes and there now aren’t enough to go round – I do apologise for that.
I hope on your next stay with us you find some lovely improvements and have a much more enjoyable stay.
chch nz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Love staying here. Always convenient, staff are friendly, know what they are doing and are customer focused. Rooms are usually well appointed ( especially on higher floors) and clean. This time I had a smaller room on the 9th floor with a queen and a spare single bed. It was obvious the single had been added for the last customer and not taken out again. Which was a shame as it made moving around the room difficult. Breakfast is ok to good + but expensive if you haven't got an inclusive deal. Wait staff at breakfast are fabbo.

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floors if you can and if there is an extra bed in the room that is obviouly...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
We love having you here! Sorry we missed the removing of the extra bed in your room, we would have popped up straight away to get it if you had found it too much of a nuisance. It’s great to hear you thought the restaurant staff were ‘fabbo’, I will definitely pass on your kind words to them, it will make their day.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit very soon.
Warm regards,
Thirsk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I used this hotel three years ago, I wasn't too impressed at the time, but it is convenient for the city centre and especially the Intercity Coach station. The last visit had a fairly abysmal room with no view apart from an appartment block. On booking this time through 'lastminute.com' I requested a room with some sort of reasonable room, the booking was made two months prior to the visit, so there was no time based allocation problem. Got the same miserable block of appartments as my 'room with a view' once again.
Very basic accomodation for the price, fairly unhelpful and lethargic staff, when I wanted two envelopes (none of these supplied in bedroom, as in most reasonable hotels) it took an hour to find them.
It's handy for city centre but not to be recommended, when I found that I could get accommodation at a much better hotel below the Sky tower, for my outgoing visit in three weeks, for not much more money.

Room Tip: Avoid anything facing the appartment block!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
I am so sorry to read you did not enjoy your recent stay with us at Rydges Auckland, what mainly concerns me though is your experience with the staff members you encountered. At no point should you feel that you are not being heard or helped by the staff in the hotel and it upsets me that you found this during your stay with us. I do thank you for bringing it to my attention so I can immediately address the issue with the front line staff.
As you mentioned the hotel is located in a fantastic position in the city and is so close to many of the transport, attractions and necessities in town.
I do hope you change your mind about staying with us again as we would love to welcome you back.
Quenton

Been to Rydges Auckland? Share your experiences!