“SIMPLY THE BEST” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Auckland

Save Saved
You added Rydges Auckland to your Saves list
Rydges Auckland
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   59 Federal Street, Cnr Kingston Street | Central City, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #20 of 76 hotels in Auckland
“SIMPLY THE BEST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed 6 nights July 18 – 24 great hotel best location very clean, the staff, are the best we have ever experienced. A very BIG thank you to the staff at STK who went above and beyond to make my husband’s 40th birthday special on Friday the 19th and Terrence, the concierge there are many staff in many hotels around the world that should take a leaf out of his book. He really knows the true meaning of customer service. He was so helpful when our son arrived helping him track down his luggage that Air New Zealand had managed to loose. We will be recommending this hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
I love your title! Here at Rydges Auckland we all strive to do our very best for all our guests and be ‘Simply the Best’ hotel in Auckland, I am so pleased you thought we nailed it! It was such a great pleasure to host your husband’s 40th birthday party and it’s great to read everyone had such a fabulous time. I will pass on all your wonderful words to all stk Lounge Bar and Restaurant staff and of course Terrance.
Looking forward to another great visit with you which hopefully is not too far away.
With kindest regards,

898 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Centrally Located In Auckland CBD
Walking distance to Casino and Restaurants.
Overall service was top notch and the rooms are well maintained.
Restaurant offers Gluten Free options for breakfast.
The complex is beautifully presented

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's located in the middle of the complex! as the hotel is located in the midd...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your lovely review, I am so pleased you found our service to be first class and top notch; I will most definitely pass your kind words onto all the staff at the hotel. I hope your next stay with us is not too far away as we would love to welcome you back.
Warm regards,
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed for 8 nights whilst in Auckland for business. I'm a regular visitor to Auckland but this was the first time that I had stayed at Rydges Auckland. I booked a harbour view room as many other TA reviewers had commented on the terrible view from some of the other rooms. Good move. View from my room was fine and not blocked by buildings, so it let in lots of light during the day.

The room was fresh and comfortable. Typical of most other Rydges rooms across Australia. The AC worked well and could be switched off if needed (always a good feature). There was also an opening window to let in some fresh air, which is a rare commodity in hotel these days. Although I was on the top floor (14th), the windows are not very sound proof, and night time traffic (people and cars) was noticeable, but not to the point of disturbing my sleep. I would expect that the lower floors may suffer more from this issue. Best advice is to book or request a room on the highest floors. Shower was hot and strong, and the bathroom was big enough to not be pokey. There is a desk that is big enough to actually work from and the couch was comfortable and practical. The bed was comfortable and the room was well serviced each day.

Staff were helpful and friendly. As a general rule, hotel food in Australia / NZ is overpriced and poor quality. Rydges Auckland is no exception. I broke my cardinal rule of eating in the hotel and was disappointed. $36 for buffet scrambled eggs and a coffee....fail. There was a steak meal including a glass of wine advertised within the hotel, and at $24 I thought I'd give it a try on one of the nights that I couldn't be bothered leaving the hotel. Firstly, this is only available in the bar area and not the restaurant. Secondly, the steak was the smallest I have ever seen and was a very low grade (no taste & full of gristle). Thirdly, not much else on the plate except a couple of fries (3 in total) and a scrap of spinach.....another fail. I ended up heading out to find something else to eat as I was still hungry.

Although all this sounds bad, it's not a reflection of the hotel itself and didn't distract from the actual accommodation. My advise in any hotel is to get out for food. Auckland is full of great & affordable eating! For breakfast try Depot (next to SkyCity Grand Hotel) or Grassy Knoll (next to the Hotel de Brett). Both of these are a 5 min walk from Rydges. For dinner try, Bellota (opposite SkyCity Grand), Cafe Hanoi (Brittomart), or the FANTASTIC new Blue Breeze in Ponsenby road....... to name just a few :-).

Although the actual street location of the hotel is not that attractive, it's a very good central location for the city and taxis are nearly always waiting out the front.

All in all, Rydges Auckland is a good reliable hotel that would suit most business travellers.

Room Tip: Take a harbour view room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your extensive review on your 8 night stay with us, it was great to have you here and I sincerely appreciate all your comments and suggestions. The hotel is in a great spot in town to so many of the wonderful attractions in the city including some great restaurants. It does concern me though that you were less than satisfied with your experience in our stk Lounge Bar and Restaurant as we usually receive such wonderful glowing comments on both the staff and the excellent food. I hope on your next stay with us we can get the chance to wow you with our fantastic food; I hope this is not too far away.
Kindest regards,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed 1 night in a Superior King room on the 9th floor. Arrived around 3pm, drove into the entrance as I had valet parking as part of a package...except there was no staff outside. Could see any valet staff inside so sat for a couple of minutes in the car waiting. Eventually left the car in the entrance and went to reception counter. Only 1 staff member there, who was talking to a couple in front of us, although sounded like they were the friends of the staff - not a good impression when there are customers waiting.

Checked in and being the first time as a priority guest rewards member (Rydges loyalty service) I would've expected reception staff to explain what benefits came with it - no explanation at all, had to double-check that we got late check out. Also when checking in on a package deal I would expect staff would confirm what you get - had to prompt the lady to check everything was actually included.

Other than that service was nothing special, seemed like they were understaffed and also had a couple of trainee staff on a weekend, which is surprising given it would be the busiest time of the week.

Room was nice enough, probably one of the more modern hotels in the lower price range in Auckland central.

Like other reviews if you're just after a decent room to sleep in then Rydges will do the job, just don't expect good service to accompany it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review, it concerns me though that you had a less than satisfactory experience with the hotel staff; Rydges Auckland usually prides itself on our staff delivering fantastic guest service so your experience will be discussed on all levels to ensure this remains a one off, though unfortunate, experience.
I do hope the rest of your time in town was fantastic and I look forward to having you back for much more welcoming staff experience.
Best regards,
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Generally no trouble with the staff - mostly pleasant and helpful, but the check-out guy (Clement?) didn't seem to care when I told him I had a few issues. (I think he was just expecting the regular "fine, thanks" when he asked how my stay was. Was checked in by the manager Graeme who was extremely welcoming and gave me a complimentary upgrade to a Deluxe room, which was quite nice. Two issues however: Housekeepers failed to fully make up my room, even after 2 attempts to contact them (line rang out). Worse still, 2 requests made at reception were also ignored, with staff simply jotting down my room number on a piece of scrap paper. No surprise that it was forgotten about!
During my stay, room access cards were also disabled due to some technical error, so the poor manager had to let everyone in individually. Fair enough these things happen, but was still quite inconvenient, especially when the problem still wasn't fixed by next morning. Overall though, a good stay and in a good location right next to Sky Tower.

Room Tip: Go for a Deluxe room - slightly larger and more natural light
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
It can be quite frustrating when technical issues interrupt your hotel experience but great staff service and communication can really help you to enjoy the rest of your stay, I am pleased you found most of the staff pleasant and helpful.
I am sorry that your housekeeping requests went unanswered and please be assured I will be following this up to see where the communication broke down.
I hope you had a great time in Auckland while staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Warm regards,
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel itself is in a great location and an easy walk down to the Waterfront and the main shopping areas. Lobby, bar and restaurant areas are very nice but bedrooms could do with a refurb and are looking tired. The best asset this hotel has is the staff, and every department I dealt with from restaurant, front desk, concierge and housekeeping made me feel welcome....however, you know when people say the first and last impression sticks in your mind, well I will now remember the Rydges hotel for the fact that when I checked out and paid a bill for over $1,000, they added on 2% credit card charge!!!! I stay in 100 different hotels per year in over 50 countries and I have never been charged this...are they related to Ryanair??? I feel this could be explained on check in and not when they have the card in their hand.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
The staff at Rydges Auckland truly are great and I am so pleased you found this with all the staff you encountered during your stay with us. I am sure with your extensive travelling you can appreciate the difference of how a great staff experience can really enhance your hotel stay and holiday. I do apologise you were not informed of the surcharge when checking out using credit card, this is very much the norm in most hotels, airlines, some restaurants and other industries when using credit cards in Australia and New Zealand and many other parts of the world.
I hope you have a great time in all your travels and I sincerely hope we get to welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Kindest regards,
Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Good hotel in a very central location. Good options for food in walking distance. Hotel restaurant exceptionally good. Order the steak! No on site parking which is a downside, adds another NZ$20 to the daily bill for 'valet parking' in parking garage just across the road.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Yes, order the steak! Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland and your recommendation to our stk Lounge Bar and Restaurant, the food is superb and we are very well known for our fantastic steak meals; very much worth a visit whether staying in house or just looking for a great meal out in town.
I am glad you found the hotels location to be very central for your business needs while in Auckland and I sincerely I hope your next stay with us is not too far away.
Regards,
Quenton

Been to Rydges Auckland? Share your experiences!