“Great Short Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Auckland

Save Saved
You added Rydges Auckland to your Saves list
Rydges Auckland
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   59 Federal Street, Cnr Kingston Street | Central City, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #20 of 76 hotels in Auckland
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great Short Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here for one night on 23 March 2013. We ordered a double twin room. We had a nice view of the Sky Tower out our window. We were on level 12 so it was nice and faraway from the noise of the street. Had a great sleep the bed as it was comfortable. The bathroom was nice - a tad small but it served its purpose. I felt the details in the room were attended to properly. I understand why people wouldn't like this property as other rooms are right opposite an apartment complex and you can see right into them...not all that attractive to see.

We had the buffet breakfast. It was delicious. However it was kind of spoiled when a child vomitted on the ground. The staff were apologetic about this. I felt the staff were friendly and accommodating. Check-in process was quick, think this was because there were many people checking in so they were rushing just to get people checked in to their rooms.

It would have been nice to find out about the free drink on arrival as I had joined to be a priority member online before we stayed there. I felt that we weren't informed about this on check-in. I also didn't know I was entitled to a late check out or discounted internet useage.

We checked out at approx 10:20am and we hadn't eaten breakfast yet but because of the hotel price I got the buffet breakfast included and this charge couldn't be taken off so the staff member at the counter called the place where the breakfast was at and asked them to wait for us to get our food. I thought this was a nice gesture. The staff at the desk were nice to guests.

We did not have a car so we walked around the city. The hotel was in a great location for people who want to walk around and see some sights.

There was also A/C in the room which was good to have as it was quite hot and stuffy during the day. Also another feature I like was the iPod doc so I could charge my phone. The dimming of the lights helped when I tried to sleep and when my brother needed the lights on to see.

I would stay here again and recommend it to friends and family. Pros: food and location.

Room Tip: Try get a room higher up and on the side that faces the Sky Tower. Try and ask for a room that does...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you and your brother had a great stay with us and were able to explore Auckland easily by foot.
The view of the Sky Tower is pretty unique and great, especially at night when it is lit in all sorts of colours. The view from the back of the hotel is pretty magnificent too as it looks directly out to the harbour bridge which is just lovely at sunset.
I do apologise for the way your breakfast was interrupted, while unwell children are of course beyond our control I hope the clean up was fast and efficient.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your brother back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Best regards,

898 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Wellington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel was a real mixed bag for me. On the plus side the location was fantastic, room and decor was nice and of a good size, the bed very comfortable. It had a large shower and bathroom and the room service dinner of a good quality and price.

On the down side the hotel appeared to be hosting some large groups at the time I was there and service lacked somewhat as a result. Check-in was a little clumsy, due to young inexperienced staff, information given on the benefit entitlements of the Priority Guest programme a little sketchy (was told about the free drink and given a voucher but nothing about internet and meal discounts). I had to ring for my bags when they didn't turn up, the aircon in the room wouldn't let me alter it, it was either freezing or had to be turned off.

On the cleanliness side, I found a clump of someone else's hair in the shower and hairs on the floor of the bathroom as well - pretty gross.

I was unfortunate enough to also be on the top floor with a full-on party going on above me the 1st night. It went on very loudly until 12pm on a weeknight when I had to be up early for meetings the next day. I complained twice and still nothing was done.

Breakfast on the last day there was gross - I ordered waffles expecting that they would be homemade in a hotel such as this - instead they were clearly supermarket made and were stale and tasted like cardboard. I could have got a far nicer meal in any cafe downtown for the same price or less.

Even though very handy to town I am not sure if I would stay again given the long list of issues!

Room Tip: Be sure to check if there are functions on and choose your room accordingly!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am pleased you found our location fantastic and your room and bed very comfortable – we get so many great comments on our beds so I am glad you liked them too. Your housekeeping and breakfast experiences are very concerning to me and I am grateful you have bought them to my attention, I will most definitely be discussing with housekeeping to ensure our very high standards do not slip and with the restaurant about sourcing high quality products for our restaurant.
Your comments on our Rooftop function are also concerning, it is a great area on level 10 of the hotel that has fantastic views over towards the harbour. It holds all sorts of different functions ranging from birthdays and weddings to conferences and parties; every effort is made to limit the amount of noise that may come from a music function and no guest rooms are directly below it. I do apologise that during your visit you were disturbed by the music and you felt your complaints were not taken seriously.
I thank you again for your review and I sincerely hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland again to give us the chance to totally change your perspective on our service.
With kindest regards,
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Good location, price a bit steep. One wake up call which was not requested, but all in all really good. Stayed for 4 nights two for a conference and then the price jumped by $60. Quiet clean need coffee machine at that price.

• Stayed March 2013
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, we love receiving feedback from our guests and we take all reviews and suggestions very seriously so I thank you for yours.
I hope you had a great conference and I hope we can welcome you back very soon.
Warm regards,
Tauranga, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I recently stayed at Rydges in Auckland for a Veterinary conference, the rooms were average to small with limited views, from mine all you saw was the washing put out on the balconies of the apartment block opposite.On one occasion Housekeeping failed to make up my room by 4.00pm, the excuse given they could not get into the room,which I find an amazing excuse for sloppy service.There is no parking and if they had not messed up with housekeeping I would have been charged for the use of a credit card to settle my account. Very average more like a 3 star Hotel than the 4 star claimed.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view over the city.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I would like to apologise for your experience with housekeeping and I am so pleased you bought it to my attention, please be assured this will be discussed with the appropriate people to ensure it will not happen again.
I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel was in the ideal location, next to Sky Tower and only a few minutes walk to the main shopping area. The room was a good size, and was clean. The staff seemed friendly and helpful. Would defiantly stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, the hotel is in a fantastic position in the city and I am pleased you found this beneficial to easily get to some great shopping. The staff here are great and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Ripon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We had two nights here - room only and very much enjoyed it. Hotel is beautifully clean and the staff and just so so helpful. A perfect central location for exploring Auckland. Food at the hotel looked ok but we chose to eat out as we had a car hired and there were so many places to explore nearby. A brilliant view of the Sky Tower from our window

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and loved the view of the Sky Tower from your room, it’s entertaining watching people plummet to earth doing the SkyJump from the tower!
I hope we get to welcome you back again very soon.
Best regards,
Gold Coast, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Rydges is in a terrific position in CBD of Auckland. It is a good 3/4 star hotel with not too many frills but suited out needs. We arrived around 5.00pm and our room wasn't ready which I find disappointing at this time of the day. The rooms were clean, modern and the staff were attentive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you were able to enjoy a relaxing drink in our STK Restaurant Bar and Lounge while your room was being allocated. As you mentioned the hotel is in a terrific position in the city and so close to the many attractions you would want to experience while visiting Auckland. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.
Quenton

Been to Rydges Auckland? Share your experiences!