“Good, but nothing exceptional” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Auckland

You added Rydges Auckland to your Saves list
Rydges Auckland
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   59 Federal Street, Cnr Kingston Street | Central City, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #21 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Good, but nothing exceptional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at Rydges for 1 night only. I'd say that we weren't disappointed, but we also didn't love it. The room was fine, clean, comfortable, typical 5*. Customer service is also at a good level. But we didn't like the food there at all. The breakfast was very simple, the juices were just terrible, for the dinner there was no fish at all (come on, guys, the fish market is a 3-minute drive away ;-)), the only good food there was the dessert. Apart from that I'd say that the hotel doesn't have a spirit, a special feature, just an average 5* star, nothing exceptional at all. You expect to be surprised in a good way when you check in, but there is nothing at Rydges to be surprised about.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you found your room to be clean and comfortable and typical of a 5* hotel, as a 4.5* hotel we do constantly strive for excellence so I am pleased we succeeded in this instance with you. I do apologise that you did not enjoy your meals in our STK Restaurant though, we usually recieve rave reviews for our fabulous steaks but you are absolutely right about the fish - I will be discussing with the Food and Beverage team when creating our new menu to include a mouth watering fish dish. I love getting helpful suggestions from our guests so thank you for your honest feedback.
With kindest regards,
Quenton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Rydges is one of a number of central Auckland hotels that my employer uses when staff are working in Auckland. This is the first time I have stayed here and I will return. The hotel takes up a whole block between Federal and Hobson Streets with the newer section being at the Hobson Street end. My room was on a corner with windows overlooking both Hobson and Kingston Streets. It was a bit disconcerting walking into the room for the first time as the TV and lights were on and I thought I was in someone else's room - but that's just how things are done here. The room was not big but nevertheless quite well designed. I liked the option of the overhead shower but it there wasn't much room for your legs when sitting on the toilet. The bed was one of the best I've found in a hotel - I think they called it the Rydges Dream Bed. The hotel is well located, close to several cafes that I frequent and doesn't suffer from traffic noise. One evening after returning from work there was a note under the door inviting me to drinks with the manager at 6pm the following evening - I availed of this which provided the opportunity to meet some other guests - a nice touch. The only real negative is the building directly opposite in Kingston St - it is full of tiny apartments that you look directly into where half of the occupants at any one time have their laundry drying outside.

Room Tip: The rooms at the Hobson Street end are in the newer section so may be a little nicer to stay in
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and prefer our hotel for your business accommodation needs when in town. The beds are Rydges Dream Beds made specifically for our hotels and resorts and they are absolutely wonderful, they are  constantly raved about by our guests so I am pleased you loved them too.
Looking forward to your next business trip and I hope we meet again for an after work drink at the bar.
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I booked a deluxe room with king size bed on line. Pictures looked good and it said view would be harbour or city.What we really got was a standard room with a queen bed and a view of an apartment building with laundry on every balcony. I voiced a complaint. Nothing was changed and I was still billed for a deluxe. I don't like being lied to.

Pat Smith
Canada.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you pay for.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you had a wonderful time visiting Auckland and were able to see and do as much as possible in your short time with us. I do apologies that your stay was not as you expected it would be and we would love the chance to change your view to a wonderful one the next time you come stay with us.
Hoping that's not too far away,
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We went to Auckland for a wedding plus some R&R. We stayed 4 nights in a standard twin room and got a discount rate by using our Entertainment Book. The hotel is well located within easy walking distant of the waterfront, Sky City, restaurants and shopping. We also walked to the hotel easily from the nearest Airport Bus stop on Queen Street. The hotel staff was very helpful whenever we spoke with them. Our room was more than adequate and housekeeping staff quickly supplied extra coat hangers when I asked for them. Body lotion, shower gel, shampoo & conditioner were supplied, as well as yummy treats on the bed at night. Fresh milk was supplied in the room for tea & coffee, however the tea selection was poor, and the coffee was instant - a plunger with decent coffee is badly needed. We had breakfast from the breakfast buffet in the hotel one morning - a good selection but very costly. They charged us $49 for two continental breakfasts - outrageous!

Room Tip: If you want a room with a harbour view you need to ask for one; these cost extra.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope the wedding was just beautiful and the weather held out for the special day. I am so pleased you enjoyed your room for your relaxing days away and I will certainly take into account your suggestions on the tea and coffee offerings in our rooms, it's great hearing the thoughts and suggestions from our guests as many times ideas are bought to our attention we may never have thought of ourselves.
Thank you again for your review and I look forward to your next R&R weekend away.
Warm regards,
Asia, Peru
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

LOCATION: Excellent location. Easily accessible by car. A short walk to all restaurants and Auckland’s main streets. Excellent valet parking service, NZD 30 per day.

HOTEL: Very friendly, fast check-in. Bright, clean room. Good beds and pillows. Good shower. A bit noisy at night. We ordered food to our room one evening, but after a thirty-minute wait, we made another call to follow up our order. We were informed that our order had never been passed on to the kitchen, hence there would be another thirty-minute wait before our food could be delivered to the room. They offered the food free of charge, but we declined. We had lost our appetite that evening.

CONCLUSION: Courteous, efficient valet staff. Poor room service.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I would firstly like to apologies for your room service experience, this is certainly unacceptable. There is no excuse for not passing on an order and I feel terrible that you did not get to enjoy a lovely meal during your evening, please be assured that this will be discussed with staff to ensure this remains an isolated incident.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, the beds and pillows are just wonderful and constantly raved about by our guests.
I hope the next time you come stay with us you get to enjoy our fantastic food from our STK restaurant, the food is wonderful and I'm sorry you missed out on your last visit.
With warm regards,
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed two nights in a deluxe room. It was not great. The King Bed was not American standard. The shower was poor with only one towel hook. There were no towel bars or hooks in the sink area. The windows were very poor: one up about height level that would have a bit of a view and the other full length one facing into another wing. The location was quite central, but since Aukland is very hilly, it was some real exercise going to the waterfront or shopping.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you had a wonderful time exploring the city, as you mentioned the hotel is very central and so close to some great shopping and the beautiful waterfront. I do apologies that your stay with us was not as great as your were expecting but I hope we can have the chance to change your view the next time we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland.
Nelson, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We come up for our 20 th wedding Ann so we went all out & paid big bucks we had 3 nights & got a huge room well 3 rooms lounge/ bed room huge bathroom 2 basins very nice 2 shower heads & very nice treats in bath room exfoliating scrub facial wash body lotion shower gel & soap from body shop I was in bathroom bliss (; modern as !!! huge wardrobe 2 big flat screen tv s stress less chair lounge suit desk wee treats on the bed every night we were really impressed only let down was the view but we got over that very quickly as the room made up for it & we were out & about . Only other thing that wouldnt go a miss would be more tea & coffee selection eg plunger would top it off . We had breakfast every morning nice good start to your day (;

• Stayed February 2013
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland and congratulations on your 20th wedding anniversary! I am so pleased we could be a part of your celebrations and help make it just that little bit more special for your trip away. I hope your 3 night city retreat was just fabulous for you and I hope we can be part of more fun trips away.
Regards,
Quenton

Been to Rydges Auckland? Share your experiences!