“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Auckland
Berwick, Victoria
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed here some time back and still just as good.

Bar and reception can get busy at times so be prepared to wait.

Location is ideal near the waterfront, my room was large with separate lounge and good quality furnishings and amenities.

Ideal for business.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
John M, Public Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear GriffinFamily4,

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read your feedback regarding your stay, your feedback regarding the speed of service during busy time has been taken on board and will be escalated through the correct channels.

johnmoffett@spak.stamford.com.au

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Greek first
Tacoma, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Had an enforced stopover at this hotel due to a delayed flight from Sydney missing our connecting flight to Apia. Hotel fully paid for by Air New Zealand including all meals for a family of 5. Beautiful rooms and wonderful dining experience for all meals. Lovely indoor pool and spa on the top floor. The concierge went out of his way to notify our hotel in Samoa that we would be late and to hold our reservations. We then decided to extend our stay in Samoa and he organised that with the hotel and also the airline. All the staff went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and well cared for. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the front. The rear facing rooms whilst having no view are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
John M, Public Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear HeatherN1607,

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read your fantastic feedback and that on a forced lay over what could've been a tiresome experience turned into something great. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stamford Plaza Auckland is very conveniently located in the CBD heart of Auckland, within minutes walk to nearby tourist spots eg. the Waterfront, Sky Tower or Auckland Town Hall. Auckland Domain is slightly further away but on a good cool day in winter, the walk is bearable. As such, for its prime location alone for visitors who have limited time in Auckland, I would highly recommend the hotel!

Hotel staff are mostly helpful and polite, especially the Concierge team, which really gives me a big help with early luggage storage since I was traveling to Rotorua before checking in to the hotel in Auckland! However, on the check out day, the queue is rather long at about 830AM and if there are more staff allocated, I'm sure the check out process will be much faster.

I had the breakfast included with the room package and the buffet breakfast is pretty good. Not as varied as other hotels I've stayed with around the world but the food served is fresh, well-prepared and delicious. There is even a fruit juicer and you can try your hands making your own fruit juice! Again, there are times that the restaurant is packed and there is a queue waiting to the table but all in all, the waiting time is acceptable.

My room is located in level 3, which is a little noisy since the noise from the ground and traffic could be vaguely heard. Furnishing in the room is a little dated but comparing my room to my colleague's, I can see that the hotel management is doing some upgrades with a new look to the hotel. With a fresh new look, I'm sure the hotel would attract more crowd. Security seems to be properly administered here since I need my key card to access the lift, then the level that I stay and finally my room.

Having said all, for its proximity to the Waterfront and the Sky Tower, the superb service skills from their staff, especially the Concierge, I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone coming to Auckland!

Room Tip: Higher floors for lesser noise from the traffic at ground
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Wil23low

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read your feedback and that you had a pleasant stay with us. You are indeed correct in regards to our upgrade which is currently taking place. We look forward to welcoming you back soon when you will come marked improvements in our decor.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I'm pretty sure this hotel was advertised as a five star hotel. Well it is a nice four star hotel, but not five (IMHO). In saying that, everything was good, apart from the breakfast, which was a bit disappointing. The french sounding lady at check in was lovely. I had made a mistake with my booking, and she was very polite. I would recommend this hotel to others for a good quality hotel with a very handy inner city location. Just one thing.....$25 for 24 hours of WIFI?.... Come on Stamford Plaza, free WIFI is expected these days.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear CR111

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to read your mostly positive feedback, yes Stamford Plaza is a 5 Star NZ property something we work very hard to retain. You will be happy to hear of our current refurbishment which might go a little further to backing this rating up in your mind next time we welcome you back.

In regards to the WiFi, this is a comment we are taking very seriously and are addressing this as the highest levels of the organisation.

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The first thing i noticed here were the staff - smiling and helpful. I was travelling alone and they made me feel really welcome. The second thing was the spaciousness of my room and bathroom. Separate toilet which i love, and plenty of storage, drawers and hanging space - so rare these days. Finally, the bed. So comfortable, I slept like a baby. My room was clean, quiet and well appointed. Location couldn't be better. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I was on the 9th floor, very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Talita R

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read your fantastic feedback and that you truly enjoyed you spacious rooms and amazing bathrooms....we are very proud of these, very rare indeed.

Tauranga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I've stayed a few times at the Stamford as part of a corporate group, every time has been fantastic, every time the service good, staff friendly and efficient.
First time I've stayed just this weekend as a private punter and it was awful to say the least. When we arrived at our room there were two single beds even though the box was ticked for a double and we waited patiently for a room change after two phone calls which in turn made us late for dinner. All that aside the night was ok, I slept well, my partner the same - Why the average rating you may ask? Stamford has a different treatment level depending on the booking type - staying with a corprate on business your needs are met easily and they're friendly - staying as a young couple without the suit and tie on and you're in for a different story.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MikeTauranga

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to read that you have in the past been looked after so well by the team here. However your comments regarding your latest stay are a little alarming, that any of our guests would feel they are treated differently based on the 'type' of stay is by no means appropriate.

Please be assured this has been escalated through all of the appropriate channels and will be dealt with accordingly.

If you have further feedback please feel free to contact me directly..

Ingelmunster, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

OK,

The Stamford Plaza...
This is a difficult one to review.
You really get what you pay for here. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rooms are good sized. same for the bathroom.
Rooms have anything that you could require.

so, the positive things:
Staff is friendly and efficient. helpful...
Room size
location
Breakfast is awesome

on the negative side:
Beds: not my first of choice of mattress. On the hard sided, with quite a 'bump' in the middle.
Sheets: The quilt is actually wrapped in an open sheet. never saw this before, but not a fan...
Minibar: although it has the very basic stuff, it would have been nice having more than one bottle of each product...
view: I assume you need to be (un)lucky on this one, but being so close to the harbour, and than having to stare to other concrete buildings (close) is always a bummer.
reco: ask for a good view when booking! ;)

Couldn't say much about the price, as this was my first in NZ, so not much to compare with.
I thought it was advertised (at least on booking.com) as being a 5 star hotel. I would give it four.

However,
overal, as you can see: you have to review details here, so that means everything else, the important stuff, is all good!

Enjoyed my stay. Would consider to stay again!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a good view. I'm sure there should be a great harbour view from the hotel...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear DBBBD

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read that their was little negative aspects to your stay to review. However I would like to inform you that on your next stay your bed will be much improved as we are currently undergoing a refurbishment of our rooms.

johnmmoffett@spak.stamford.com.au

Been to Stamford Plaza Auckland? Share your experiences!