“Great Location & Service” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 - 26 Albert Street, Auckland 1041, New Zealand   |
Ranked #19 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne
“Great Location & Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed in a Superior Room which was roomy and comfortable. The king size bed was comfortable and the bathroom was a good size. The shower was seperate and was one of the best I have had in a long time. The shower heads were strong, water pressure great and temperature nice and hot. The bathroom also had a double vanity and seperate bath. Towels were also good. Our room faced the street which had some traffice noise, but not too bad. Breakfast was of a good variety to suit all tastes with eggs made to order eg: omelettes to your liking. Had drinks at the bar/lounge one night before having dinner at the Grass Hopper restaurant which was beautiful. The hotel is in a great location, approximatley a 10 minute walk to the main street of shopping & many restaurants. Check in and out was easy and fast. NOTE: upon checkin the hotel policy is they take an imprint of your credit card in case of damages, mini bar etc. This money is held, ie: it comes off the balance of your funds unitl released. Make sure upon check out, the funds are released, if not, it can take upto 5-7 business days. This happens alot in America, so be careful!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheryln G, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Hi Jenny0401,

We are delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us! In particular, we are very glad to hear that you enjoyed the space in our Superior Rooms, especially in our large bathroom, and that you had a comfortable, quiet overnight stay.

It's also very encouraging to hear that you appreciated the selection that is available on our breakfast buffet and that you also liked the atmosphere in our Knights Lobby Bar where you had pre-dinner drinks before heading to dinner at our Grasshopper Thai Restaurant.

Thank you for sharing your positive comments with us and we hope to welcome you back to stay with us again sometime soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Greek first
Adelaide, Sth Aust
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My first stop on a recent trip to New Zealand. On arrival a friendly greeting and my bags were handled through to reception. Seemless checkin process and up to the room. The room was appointed according to expectations, and clean and well ordered. Note: I booked a kingsize bed, but this is actually two king singles together. Internet cost is extortionate - NZ$24.95 per day. Room was quiet, no traffic noise, or from fellow guests. If you're a tea drinker, then I recommend asking for your own pot of tea with breakfast - saves waiting for a refill, and it tastes much better. Also, ask the kitchen staff for a cooked breakfast to order, much better than the pre-cooked. Was convenient to the centre of Auckland and I was able to walk everywhere I needed to go. The folio in the room contained useful information relating to the hotel, but also to travelling in and around Auckland.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hi Big_Davo27,

We are very pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your most recent stay with us.

Your recommendations about ordering a pot of tea and a cooked breakfast to order are great tips that we are certain other travellers will appreciate.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we hope that you will stay with us again soon when you return to visit Auckland.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Great location, impressive foyer and entrance, room was very basic and noisy. The entrance to the room was the worst feature with a 'notice board' on the wall. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels, I would not stay here again unless I have no alternative available.

• Stayed December 2012
Cheryln G, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Hi Kyriakos S,

Thank you for your feedback.

We're glad that your first impressions of our hotel were impressive and that you enjoyed our convenient location.

Unfortunately, we are disappointed to hear that you have had such a strong negative reaction to the noticeboards in our rooms. It is an easy visual way of giving our guests more information about the services and promotions that we offer in our hotel and we feel that the placement of the board is unobtrusive when relaxing in the room itself.

We are undergoing a refurbishment of our accommodation rooms currently so your comments will definitely be taken into consideration.

Thank you again.

Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

got a great deal on "wotif" mystery hotel for $159 hotel is gorgeous rooms pretty average, well the one we had was just a normal clean tidy hotel room, nothing special to be honest.Comfy bed....nice black out curtains was quiet and relaxing.Unfortuately being on a tight budget we couldnt afford to dine in any of the restaurants btu the menu's looked lovely just a bit pricey.We found a dodgy but cut corner pub with happy hour drinks and a cheap but yummy pub meal so we were happy.We kind felt like the poor people staying at this place....but it was a lovely night and i would go back again, but maybe when we cana afford to dine in :)
close to town and close to waterfront as well which was a bonus.Two nights required next time one isn't enough to wind down :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi bossyb43,

We're delighted to hear that we were able to host a special couple night away for you and your partner!

Our hotel is always running various promotions on food and beverage in our Knights Lobby Bar, Knights On Albert Restaurant and Kabuki Teppanyaki Restaurant that are very affordable. Next time, please feel free to ask Front Desk what specials we have in house when you are staying and we will be able to create a special evening for you.

We look forward to hosting you and your partner for two nights sometime very soon!

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I've really got to learn to stop staying in 5 star hotels as it seems every time I've been disappointed in the return on my investment. I find that when I spend over $120 USD on a place I tend to get really nitpicky. But in the case of the Stamford Plaza hotel, there was a lot to nit pick about.

The first bad sign came when I discovered that due to a rescheduling of my flights beyond my control, I was going to arrive a day later than I planned. I had gotten the hotel special deal where if you stay for more than 4 nights, you get a discount and free internet. I was planning on staying for 5 nights so I thought that it would be no issue to reduce this by a day. Unfortunately, after contacting the hotel, they informed me that the rate I got also did not allow for any adjustments to my stay, even though I would still be staying for the time needed for the deal and I was notifying them well in advance of my arrival. I was quite disappointed with this and knocked a star off for it.

When I arrived at the hotel itself, the staff were pleasant and helpful, apologizing profusely for the issue with the booking. They found out about this as I was listed as already being checked in. From what I can tell, I was automatically checked in on the day previously as I had sent them an email letting them know of my change in plans.

The big selling point for this hotel is its location and I will admit, it is in a great spot. Easy walking distance to the port, the viaduct harbor and Queen St so you don't have to take a cab back to the hotel when stumbling drunk. Makes it less likely that they will rip you off. Unfortunately, while I do agree that it is in a central location, anyone familiar with Auckland will tell you that that's not exactly a big deal. All hotels in downtown are central as the city itself is quite small. The most you may have to walk is about 15 minutes to get to anything from a central hotel.

Unlike my previous 5 star hotel visit, the Stamford did have something unique about the rooms that I have never come across before and that is that there is a choice of pillow types to have in your room. I'm a side sleeper and often have difficulty with hotel pillows as they are usually too small for me to sleep on one and too big to sleep on two comfortably. I requested two high profile pillows for side sleepers and, combined with the relatively firm mattress, had one of the best nights sleep in a long time.

The hotel also has an innovation in the bathroom which didn't do as well. Instead of a normal light switch, the bathroom uses a motion sensor to detect your presence in the room to turn on the lights. Unfortunately, it doesn't detect you while you are in the shower and one of my guilty pleasures is long showers. Also, the toilet is located behind its own door so if you are performing an extended prayer to the porcelain god, it will also shut the lights off. Made for a few three stooges-esque moments trying to find the door again.

On the subject of the bathroom, I found a small leak under the sink. I originally thought I spilled some water while shaving so I didn't worry about it at first. But after the puddle stayed for a day, I determined the water was coming from the sink itself. It wasn't significant but it still seems like something that should have been noticed by the staff, especially before I arrived in my room.

Along with the leak, the lack of paint on the nails in the roof of the bathroom also bugged me. I know, nitpicky, but it still seemed out of place for a hotel that claims to be 5 star. It all just didn't seem to be really worth the amount of money that I spent for it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hi mr_cardholder,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your detailed feedback on your most recent stay with us.

Although your stay with us was not regarded as perfect, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed certain aspects of it, like our pleasant and helpful staff members who assisted you when you arrived, our convenient hotel location and our exclusive Pillow Menu to allow you a better night's sleep.

We have already passed your comments regarding room maintenance onto our Chief Engineer and all the issues that you have raised have been rectified.

As we have previously stated, our accommodation rooms are undergoing a refurbishment process and we hope that the next time you stay with us, you will find your entire stay much more enjoyable on the whole.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Highly reccommended to return to in future and very good value for money. Absolutely no complaints on my stay from the room to the service and price.
Only one complaint and that was that the tea served at breakfast was beyond awful and by the third day went without. My longing to return home was hastened by the need for a good pot of tea. Hopefully by my next visit this can be fixed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cheryln G, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Hi RJ0hn,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your most recent stay with us.

We are very pleased to hear that on the whole, you enjoyed your stay and found our product, price and service to be of the highest standard.

Thank you for giving us your honest feedback about the tea that we serve at breakfast. Your comments have already been passed on to our Knights On Albert Restaurant Manager and she has already taken steps to ensure that the tea is made properly with each pot. We hope that when you return to stay with us again, you will find it a most satisfying cuppa.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed here before and found it great hotel, a good sized room, bathroom with bath and walkin shower, self control on the aircondition, hotel set volume on the TV which is set a bit to low, good breakfast, and friendly staff.No restaurant menus in room only room service menu.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Michael T,

We're very pleased to hear that you returned to stay with us again!

Thank you for your feedback on how to improve the information we provide our guests inside our rooms and we will definitely look into this for the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Stamford Plaza Auckland? Share your experiences!