“NOT LIKE IT HAS BEEN IN THE PAST” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
Unlimited Free Wi-Fi
Ranked #5 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
nz
“NOT LIKE IT HAS BEEN IN THE PAST”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

Booked in to stay 1st night with Wotif and 2nd with a voucher that I had purchased through the hotel. My brother and his wife checked in before us and had put on their wotif form that they were travelling with us and could we be on the same floors...upon arrival before us he checked again and was told that that was fine and we were all on the same level. Upon OUR CHECK-IN I was told that it was impossible to be on the same floor although we could change levels the next day, which we opted not to. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEMS START..... we discovered that you could not use your key cards to get to the other families level and vice-versa. I went to reception and the lovely guy issued 4 new keys (2 for each family) that would work but they also would open each others room doors???? We had no problem respecting one anothers privacy but felt that it was not really an acceptable solutin to be able to walk into each others rooms.

The next day I was in south Auckland and got a call from my daughter saying that reception wanted to know 'when were we checking out?'. She explained to them that we were staying 2 nights and for the 2nd one I had given a voucher to the lady when I booked in. They had no record of the voucher and wanted me to show "PROOF" of the voucher when I got back. As I was in the middle of negotiating a car purchase when she rang my blood pressure was through the roof, and I was ready to give them what for!!! She then had to get another lot of keycards for our room as they had cancelled ours thinking that we should of been out of there. Luckily I had a covering letter in the room to verify the voucher purchase but as I said to them that was not the point, I had handed it over to the lady the day before and where on earth had it gone?
BACK TO THE ON GOING KEY SAGA.......we had to have a third set of keycards activated as we were back to the problem of not being able to get onto my brothers floor again. Not only did this inconvenience ourselves it also impacted on them, as we had to keep getting the keycards off them and swopping them!!!!

BREAKFAST THE FIRST MORNING COULD OF BEEN ALOT BETTER.... the terrace was fairly busy but we have seen it just as busy before and not had the problems encountered on this visit that the food kept running out. You might get your bacon, but no eggs and vice-versa, considering it was 9am I would not expect this on a Saturday morning and after 'raving on about the breakfasts' to my family and encouraging them to stay here, it was rather deflating. The 2nd morning we ate at 7.30 and everything was fine.

Yes the rooms are getting shabby, the carpets look like they need replacing and the bathrobes had lost their 'whiteness' and were a lovely shade of yellowing/pilled old robes that you might have at home.

This whole experience was not 5 star and as I told reception it was like a comedy of errors on their behalf that made our weekend 'memorable' in not the right kind of way. As I say we have stayed here before and found it ok, but not sure if we will be back or indeed the regulars that we have been.

Concierge / valet were fantastic.....helpful, friendly, effiecient!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start of our NZ trip. The room was great - big, comfortable with a fab view of the Sky Tower. The hotel pool & sauna were also good - useful when jetlag wakes you up at 5.30am! We also used the East Day Spa for a massage and this was seriously good, well worth it.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Pacific Northwest, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

This was a great hotel - clean, modern, roomy, helpful staff, great location - read more about our experience and travels in New Zealand at www.travelsketchwrite.com

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

This hotel is amazing I loved the time I spent here! The hotel is very central in Auckland and close to everything - cabs, buses, shopping malls, attractions (casino, Sky tower), banks, restaurants, bars and clubs, spas and even markets!

My friend and I flew with pacific blue from Australia to Auckland (loved it) and arrived at our hotel at 1am! The lobby was beautiful and reception/concierge are 24 hours. Considering it was a very early morning check in we understood our twin room was not ready, but the staff were most accomodating - they offered us a room on the 10th floor but we had to share a queen bed for the night. We were grateful to be able to check in at this time! The staff were so friendly and helpful/apologetic they even offered to bring up a rollaway bed from the other sky city hotel. We didn't need that though - the porters took all our luggage up to the room for us as well which was excellent.

Throughout our stay, all of the staff - concierge, reception and doormen were really friendly and welcoming - they made our stay amazing!

The initial room we had was smallish but very clean and had a very large and comfortable bed, huge bathroom, TV, fridge and mini bar.

The next night we got moved to our twin room we originally booked which was fantastic - level 10, very clean, great views of the sky tower and auckland, a tv, mini bar etc . The bathroom was gigantic and modern - separate bath and shower, a large mirror and bench area.

Both beds were really comfy and we slept well because there was very little outside noise if any at all, and the room was completely dark when we closed the thick curtains. Room service was avaiable, the menu looked delicious but had the usual room service price tag.

I absolutely loved staying here and would definetly return - My one and only complaint is that the internet provided by the hotel in room is not free wireless. Its $10 for 2 hours access and we were both able to access at the same time. We found the lack of free wifi consistent throughout Auckland and Wellington hotels that we visited. We used the internet alot from our room but because we could both connect at the same time, it was not very expensive to split the charges. An alternative is there are a couple of 24 hour internet cafes across the road which were much cheaper.

The hotel itself also has heaps of restaurants and bars and was directly connected by walkway to the the sky city casino. Inside there were even more restaurants and bars. From there You can even access the Sky tower.

The hotel has a great location and the staff were able to give us information and directions to lots of touristy activities - they also were able to organise airport/hotel transfers and reliable wake up calls. They also had a spa and a heated pool on the roof - unfortunately we just didn't have enough time to see it all!

I'll definetly be returning to show this hotel off to my family!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

Well where do i start ,this is not a grand hotel like the name would suggest ,I checked in and all looked good ,The room however was way off the mark ,the carpet was really dirty and stained ,hairs in the bathroom and in the sink ,the bathroom door had something sticky all over it ,the guest compendium had pages missing and a child had been let lose in it with a pen ,there were marks all over the luggage rack ,The attention to detail is just not there ,The executive housekeeper is in the wrong job !!! ,I had a friend with me and we decided to order room service ,we ordered the "Grand Burger " and the pattie seriously looked and tasted like it had been frozen

This hotel is a joke and the senior management need to travel to london and stay in a 5 star hotel there to see how its done !!!

To top the stay off the wake up call was 20 mins late, and not a phone call but a knock at the door !!!!! Bizzare ,Oh and a 21 inch CRT TV for a grand hotel ,I dont think so

Will never be back !!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

The hotel was quiet, clean comfortable, with very friendly and helpful staff. The best buffet breakfast in New Zealand (perhaps the world). Quality sausages, no greasy bacon, soft scrambled egg and portions held in individual dishes, ensuring all food was freshly prepared. Succulent small portions of medium rare steak, wide range of fruit and beautifully presented yoghurts. Eggs Benedict to die for. Recounting this makes me hungry.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

I was there for a seminar and stayed two nights at the hotel. First impression was that it was a very nice hotel. Room size was alright since i am staying alone. One of the drawbacks was that the information booklet they had was this tattered and torn cover folder holding them together, definitely does not go with the hotel's image at all.

The breakfast was good, though the selection was rather small. Another feedback was that getting into the hotel apart from the main entrance was difficult, it took us a while to realised that you can access the hotel from the spa facility at the basement and not take a large detour to the main entrance. There should be clearer indications or alternative entrances for guests.

Overall, given the location and the price of the hotel room, it is a worthwhile place to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to SKYCITY Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!