“The Perfect Place to Place Your Weary Head” 5 of 5 stars

Unlimited Free Wi-Fi
Ranked #4 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Tauranga, New Zealand
“The Perfect Place to Place Your Weary Head”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Every time we go to Auckland we stay at the Grand. The hotel itself is located in a superb spot and within easy walking distance of the Viaduct and other attractions. Hotel and rooms are very very smart and clean with great facilites. All the staff are friendly and offer an efficient service with a smile - they go the extra mile to make you feel special!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear GFamily30

Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel.

I am delighted that we are your hotel of choice when staying in Auckland and that the team look after you on each occasion – we take real pride in offering great customer service.

We look forward to your next stay at The Grand. Remember to have a look at our website for details of our new rooms which can be booked now for stays from 18 November.

alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We picked this hotel for it's great location, amongst restaurants and bars. We went into the city for the weekend to watch the show "Wicked" and enjoy a weekend away. We dined at "The Grill" and "The Depot". The food and service at these restaurants was great. The hotel was everything we asked for and delivered on service, amenities and cleanliness. We have only ever stayed here as a crash pad for one night on other occasions, so haven't appreciated the services on offer. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear badpistol72

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel, it sounds like you had a wonderful night weekend in Auckland and pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I agree that we are in a fabulous location in the city with most attractions within walking distance and all that SKYCITY has to offer on our doorstep.

The team at The Grand look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This hotel stood out from the start when researching online for a hotel to stay at. Their web site provided the information I required. Where as others were very sparing in their information and previously I have found buying without full information to be very disappointing.
The hotel is centrally located and was ideal for me to do a little business and a variety of social entertainment.
On arrival, and throughout my stay, the staff all stood out for their friendly and hospitable service.
We stayed in a King Suite and the room was very neat clean and meet the expectations I had from visiting their web site.
There is the facilities of the Casino across the street and the surrounding streets have a number of small and enjoyable restaurants and eateries.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cedric C

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our website informative and helpful when booking.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights on a business trip... a last minute decision as there had been a mix-up with a booking at another hotel and I needed to find a room fast. I literally booked and turned up 10 minutes later. I found the reception staff to be very welcoming and helpful and they upgraded me to a harbour view room. The driveway staff - doormen, valets and concierge are execptional. Kevin the doorman is an absolute treasure. He made me smile every morning. My room was large - the sofa was a welcome change from having to sit on a bed to watch TV. I really appreciated having a separate bath and shower - and contrary to another reviewer, did not find the floor slippery. Yes, there is not a lot of choice of TV channels, but the picture quality was fine. If you want to go the movies, the cinemas are only 500m away.
I had a room right at the end of the hallway, and it was probably one of the quietest rooms I have ever had. I heard no noise from outside at all. I turned the fan on the air-con right down and it was not an issue either. The free wi-fi is one of the best I have encountered in a Kiwi hotel. I believe they are renovating the lobby soon and will install a new bar.
The gym and pool are also of good quality, and well equipped.
The hotel is in a great location with plenty of choice for restaurants and cafes nearby. I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Auckland, and I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: The view from the "harbour view rooms" is really worth it. They face west so you get spec...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Becca3189

Thank you for reviewing The Grand Hotel on Tripadvisor.

What a pleasure to read your review – I am delighted the team looked after you. We take a real pride in delivering excellent customer and I look forward to sharing your comments with them and in particular with Kevin our Commissionaire.

We are in the final planning stages and will be opening an all day dining area in the lobby where guests can relax. We are also due to commence our room refurbishment with our new rooms available from 18th November. This will certainly take The Grand Hotel to a new level and we look forward to welcoming back in the near future to experience the new look.

Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I booked SkyCity Grand online back in February 2013 for a 4 night stay Sep 26-30. The website was very good at describing room options, and available services. We also used their Limo services to have a town car to pick us up at Auckland airport (following a lengthy 20 hr trip from Atlanta, GA, USA.) Driver met us, gave us some friendly tips on way to property. We had an easy, pleasant check-in. We had reserved a Harbor View room - and they even upgraded it. As we arrived quite early, about noon, the room was still being cleaned. So we had a delicious lunch in the adjacent Grill restaurant.

The room was large, well-appointed and had a GORGEOUS view! Internet was easy to access and free (big plus for us, as we used it to stay in touch with work and home).

Hotel location is terrific, as you can walk all around the main shopping areas on/off Queen Street and down along the Harbor. If you like casinos - they have one.

As we were in town for a family wedding, we made good use of the Limo service to take us to further locations on North Shore. The hotel was so nice, comfortable - we recommended it to another relative who changed hotels and was very glad they did.

And when we missed our flight to Tahiti due to bad weather out of Queenstown, we returned to the Grand for an additional, unscheduled night on Oct 3rd, because we enjoyed it so much. Had another fantastic meal at The Grill. Same excellent service.

The only 'CON' I can mention: Room service was not exceptional. They were rather slow and the food was average. We ate later in the Terrace for the buffet, and it was a little better.

Recommend this property and would return again!

Room Tip: The view of the Auckland Harbor is so lovely, it's worth the little extra, in my opinion. On our...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DMLehman6

Thank you for reviewing The Grand Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read your feedback following your stay with us and will certainly pass your feedback, both positive and constructive onto all of the teams.

Our Limo service is a really great option for our guests and I am pleased the team looked after you.

I do hope you enjoyed your visit to New Zealand and we look forward to welcoming you back should you have to the opportunity to return.

Dunedin, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Ok so firstly the staff were on the whole 5* the door staff in particular were very helpfull. However the room we stayed in, Luxury City View rooms I think are closer to 3-4* at best. Why. Well tv reception was grainy and lacked any real choice of channels.1 sky movie, normal T.V. offerings and several sports channels. Not even a full choice of freeview options! For 5* I think a few more free channels should be included and expecting $15 for a movie is ok if the set is up to displaying a decent picture. Our room despite our 'please clean' sign being on from 9am was only got to at 3pm which as we were just arriving back was not great. The noise level from the aircon/heat system was constant like a constant wind noise and not great to use as regardless of adjustment the temprature remained the same (we had 4 rooms in total all the same). Light switches are random in their operation with no clear what turns which light on where. Bathroom floor was very slippery and required a towel on floor to negate a slip from the bath and the water reaches very high temp which I would say is above what is safe.Ok positives. Bed was comftable, bathroom despite floor was decent and well appointed, free WiFi worked well. Breakfast at the Terrace was fantastic and well worth the inclusion. Terrace staff were fantastic, very polite and made breakfast a pleasure to go to. The lobby needs a sitting section with chairs and coffe/tea on offer and is as it stands very cold and un-inviting as if they want you in and up stairs asap. I might sound picky but I have stayed in 5* accomodation in Europe and this does not compare had it been sold as 4* then the above negatives would not even be on here but to elevate yourself to 5* you need to match others. Our 4 rooms were $299 for the first night each $249 each for the second including breakfast. In summary not a bad hotel but for the money probably will look around for our next trip in a few months dont be put off by this review the location is great as are the staff, its the rating I have issue with maybe we are at the lower scale of the customer rating but our money is just as good as a more wealthy client and while the staff made us feel welcome the accomodation was where the 5* fell down on our expectations.

Room Tip: get bed and breakfast!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear EMTgeorge

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

Firstly thank you for your positive feedback about the staff and The Terrace which I will pass onto the teams at our next meeting.

Following your comments, I am pleased to let you know that we are due to commence our refurbishment of our rooms which will include changes in the lighting, bathroom and the inclusion of a 55” wall mounted plasma in each of the new rooms. We are also due to upgrade the television service we provide. I am really looking forward to these changes taking place and bookings for these rooms can be taken now for stays from 18th November onwards.

We understand the inconvenience of not having a lobby bar. However we are also in the final planning stages and will be opening a new all day dining area in the lobby where our guests can relax throughout the day.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future to experience the new look of The Grand Hotel.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is a standard hotel. Upon check-in, I felt the staff could be a little bit more friendly toward me. The room is big enough for me. It is just like other hotels, the room have all the necessary things, but nothing really stood out for me. The bottom line, I got good sleep and I have no complaints. The hotel is in a good location, it is closed to shopping, food and transports.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Sunnydelight82

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

Thank you for your feedback, I was disappointed to read your comments about your arrival and this will be addressed with the team as clear training tool.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and I welcome you to contact me prior to your stay.

alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Been to SKYCITY Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!