Mixed feelings about this place. Stayed with my wife and our two kids for 6 nights. First the positives
1. Excellent location - good base to explore Auckland.
2. Rooms although a little dated quite comfortable, serviced daily and clean.
3. Most staff (apart from one) friendly and helpful
Negatives unfortunately outweigh the positives:
1. Outrageous Internet fees. I travel extensively and reluctantly except Internet fees in better properties. I am usually fine with paying up to $30 a night as this will be used for all devices (laptop, iPads, mobiles). However, the Quay West Auckland charges $25 per device per day! For a business person this is just not acceptable. This is a just a rip off! Additionally the Internet is very slow. The property will try to say free Internet is available in the foyer but this just does not cut if. Also the speed in the foyer was barely above old dial up speeds!
Internet cost is the reason only given 1 star for value.
2. Very noisy. Rooms are not well insulated and street noise is a constant problem when sleeping even on the higher floors.
3. Fire Alarm malfunctioned a number of times during our stay. No apology to guests.
4. Attempted to charge us for items we did not consume.
5. The night before our departure reception called to advise we should have checked out in the morning and if we wanted to stay an extra night fees would apply. Reception was in the wrong. We prepaid room and had to argue we were in the right. Finally it was accepted we were correct. No apology provided.
Good location but there other some excellent hotels in just as good locations. Explore your options. I will not be returning to the Quay West Auckland.