“Nine fabulous nights” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CityLife Auckland

You added CityLife Auckland to your Saves list
CityLife Auckland
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   171 Queen St | P.O. Box 105-360, Auckland 1001, New Zealand   |
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Australia
“Nine fabulous nights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hotel offers great value and is centrally located in the Auckland CBD, close to some great bars and also only a short walk to the Wynyard Quarter - there is also a City Link bus stop right outside if you are not inclined to walk. The staff are very cheerful and helpful especially the concierge, Jacky who went out of his way to help us. The room, a one bedroom apartment, had everything needed for an extended stay and was very spacious and immacuately serviced every day. We were there over New year and had a great view of the Sky City fireworks on New years Eve. ( we were on the 22nd floor). We found the WiFi access quite reasonable but there is also free access from the lobby as well as an iMac computer. Nearby is a very good supermarket (New World) as well as a convenience store right opposite. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom well stocked with various toiletries. Washing detergent for the dishwasher and clothes washer were regularly replenished. Overall, very happy with our stay and highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Booked through WotIf as a surprise hotel, didn't know where the hotel was until I had paid, but it worked out well. I paid $115NZ p/n for 2 nights - about $90AU a night, which was a great rate, booked the day before arriving,

Arrived at noon - I was offered a room on the 2nd floor if I wanted to check in then, or a room on the 20th floor would be available later. As I wasn't coming back until late at night I opted for the 20th floor room, and left my luggage with the concierge, who then delivered it to my room when it became available.

I ordered room service, which came promptly. Food was good quality and hot. My only gripe was that you couldn't order drinks from the room service menu after 11pm.

All staff were very friendly. One front desk member was very helpful in using the Internet and locating 6 nail salons for me, and marking them on a map of the area.

Room was nice. Bathroom was clean, shower was great and toiletries were nice.

Linens were great quality - bed came with 4 regular pillows, but there is a pillow menu with feather, aromatherapy, bio magnetic and tri-pillows available. I got a feather pillow delivered and it was nice and soft.

My only problem, which I let go and didnt ask to be moved, mainly because i arrived back to my room at 1am, was that I booked a room with a queen bed, and was given a king. Not usually a problem, except that the king bed was actually 2 singles zipped together, and it feels like it, so if you are traveling alone you can't sleep comfortably in the middle of the bed, and even a couple may find it uncomfortable to sleep together in the middle of the bed, as the zipper is very obvious in the middle, as the beds are a beautiful soft pillow top, which disappears in the middle where the zipper is - disappointing as I had read the reviews and follow ups from management on trip advisor before arriving and knew they had new beds, and was looking forward to sleeping in the middle of a big comfortable bed. That said, if you are sleeping alone and used to sleeping on one side (and not in the middle) or used to you and your partner keeping to your own sides of the bed this probably won't bother you.

That said, I'd definitely stay here again, especially if I could get it at the same price. I didn't use the gym or pool, but looked at both and they were both clean and well maintained.

The Restaurant 'Zest' is closed until January 26. I was not advised of this until I went into the restaurant at 4pm, and asked to see the dinner menu. After I sat and looked for 10 minutes, and then asked what time dinner started, it wasn't until then that the girl informed me that the restaurant was actually closed until late January.

Hotel location is great - right in the middle of Queen St, close to shopping, Britomart, the cinema, IMAX, casino etc.

Also as a bonus, there is a bus stop directly across the street that goes to the airport every 20-30 minutes, 24/7.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Saitama, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband, my son and I came back from this hotel yesterday. I spent a huge amount of time searching for a hotel suitable for us on the internet, and I'm REALLY happy I chose this one.

LOCATION -- One of my top priorities was being close to the main shopping area, which was just as I hoped. There were many fashionable stores around the neighborhood and also convenience stores and supermarkets in less than five-minute-walking area.
I saw several reviews regarding the noise on the street, and that was what I was worrying about most. However, partly because we were on the 10th floor and on a side NOT facing Queen Street, and partly because we were so tired and sleepy, we slept well all of the 4 nights we stayed. On the New Year's Eve, we heard a crowd of people screaming on the street as they watched the fireworks, but they were gone soon after the fireworks. It was an interesting experience for us and we were lucky to be able to see the fireworks from our suite.
It took a little more than ten minutes on foot to get to some of the restaurants in Viaduct Harbor, but it was fun walking and watching the shops and people on the street.

SERVICE -- In my opinion, this is the strongest point of this hotel. All of them were sincerely helpful. I asked for the concierge to look for a vineyard on Waiheki Island open on January 1, and he gave a call to many vineyards and found two. I appreciate his help so much.

ROOM -- I looked for an apartment or suite with two bedrooms, and I booked Two Bedroom Executive Suite at this hotel. It was incredibly spacious and easy to use. We stayed at 1002/1003, which meant the former was a superior room and the latter a 1 Bedroom Suite, and they were interconnected. I asked for two single beds in one bedroom and one queen bed in the other, which turned out to be just as we wanted.
The washer and the dryer in the suite are definitely handy if you travel with your children.
Regarding the quality of the beds, as the hotel manager says in return to the past reviews, the mattresses looked new and were actually super-comfortable. There were many pillows on the beds, but you can still ask for a different one if you don't like them, as it is said on the sign. It was obvious that they are trying hard to let the guests enjoy their sleeping time.
I agree that it would be quieter if the windows were double-glazed, but it was also nice for us to be able to open the windows easily and let the fresh air in. We were more annoyed by the noise of the children staying nextdoor running on the hallway rather than the noise of the streets.

In conclusion, CityLife Auckland is one of my favorite hotels overseas. I would like to thank them and I am writing this review before unpacking my suitcase!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and NOT facing Queen Street. It is quieter and has a view of Sky T...
c
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I am currently staying at this hotel and I am lying wide awake in my bed at 1am. I can hear every word of the music and partygoers screams echoing through my room thanks to the incredibly noisy nightclub nearby. The rooms are nice and beds comfortable, but how do you sleep? It is terribly noisy, easily the worst I've ever experienced in a 4.5 star hotel. We're on the 8th floor. Never again. I am supposed to be staying 2 nights but I am checking out after only 1 this is ridiculous for this amount of money. Bitterly disappointed.

Room Tip: Try and stay as high up as you can to minimise noise. The 8th floor is nowhere near high enough.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CAKL, Front Office Manager at CityLife Auckland, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear L W,

Thank you for your feedback and we do really appreciate it. Your comments regarding our rooms and bedding are most satisfying as we pride ourselves in having the best facilities available for our guests.

Our apologies for the inconvenience caused by the surrounding noise and I do assure you we are currently investigating options for double glazing so we can minimise some of the noise experianced being an inner city hotel. We are also working with the council and surrounding businesses with the aim of finding a workable solution for all.

If you have any further questions or further comments please do not hesitate to email me direct on davidl@heritagehotels.co.nz.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

David Latu
Front Office Manager
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night before flying home. Great city centre location, very nice room with space, opening sliding door for fresh air, and very nice bathroom. Very good non-fuss service, and we slept very well. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
South Isalnd
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough especially for the food in the restaurant. The Mary Poppins menu for dinner is great value for money and the cooked breakfasts are delicious. We stayed two nights and as we did not have a car the location of the hotel between the civic theatre and the water font was excellent. The sky tower is easy walking distance too. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay as the staff are friendly and helpful. Thanks CityLlife for making our stay in Auckland one to remember.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 11th floor overlooking an alley way which was O.K. as we were in the centre of the...
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Had the pleasure of staying at City Life Auckland for 3.5 weeks whilst working on a project for work. Shared a 2b/r, 2bath with a lounge, dining room & full kitchen with a colleague & the configuration (bedrooms on opposite sides of the lounge/dining etc) meant there was plenty of room to spread out without getting under each others feet. The first couple of nights were extremely noisy and we then asked for a quieter spot and were moved to the opposite side of the building with no further problems. Facilities well maintained & staff helpful & professional. Had to return for another 2 weeks & was disappointed(but not surprised) that they were booked out on several nights and it would have been just painful to move in/out & in again so chose another location. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the quiet side. They know the rooms!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to CityLife Auckland? Share your experiences!