“Nice experience however you need to ask them” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rendezvous Hotel Auckland

You added Rendezvous Hotel Auckland to your Saves list
Rendezvous Hotel Auckland
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   71 Mayoral Drive | Cnr Vincent Street, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #12 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Nice experience however you need to ask them”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed for 3 (2 + 1) nights there in the month of Dec,2012. I made the reservation for King size single bed however when I reached there they gave me twin bed room.
I fought with them even at one point I was ready to move to some other hotel then only they gave me nice king size one bedroom.
Overall (apart from the fight I had while check-in) it was nice experience. Hotel has the good location with the city.
I will recommend but beware of the room type and check it before accepting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Paresh V,

Thank you for your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland and for your recommendation of the property. I agree with you the request for a King Bed should not have been so difficult, December certainly was a busy time, but we would expect that our team deal with your request without the need for you to “fight” at check in. This falls well below the minimum standards of service we expect and for this I would like to offer you my sincerest apologies.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the property in the very near future

Best regards Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Anacortes, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We blind booked the Rendezvous through Wotif.com for a recent pre-cruise stay. We were admittedly tired when we arrived and anxious to just settle in. The first room we were assigned was a handicap accessible room--not at our request--so I went back to the front desk to ask for another room. The second room might have been nice but when I opened the door, it was clear from the visible luggage and the surprised look on the occupant's face, that a quick retreat was in order. Back to the front desk, on to the third room. This room was very, very nice and made up for the two treks to the front desk. The room appeared to be recently renovated, and though the view was limited, it was nicely appointed, spacious, and very clean and comfortable. The hotel itself appears to be undergoing renovation so some parts of the hotel which look a bit tired should improve when the work is done. In sum, we were pleased with our stay once we got to our final room. And dinner in the downstairs restaurant was excellent. I'll do a separate review.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Anaco_Angler,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were pleased to read after some issues on check in you found the room that was to your liking and enjoyed the rest of your stay with us. I would like to extend to you my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience suffered, I would have expected that we get this right the first time, thank you however for patience.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Regards Paul
Mosman, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My partner and I had a very relaxing stay at the Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, staying for two nights in a deluxe room. The reception staff were very friendly, and although our room was not ready for check-in when we arrived they were very helpful in taking our bags and suggesting activities nearby while we waited.

The hotel architecture is great, the exterior and main atrium are very striking in a monument-to-concrete-and-glass kind of way. The rooms, however, have all been modernised, which is great to see in a hotel of this era. The room itself was very spacious and comfortable, lots of room to spread out and relax.

We didn't get a chance to try the hotel's restaurant, however did enjoy using the swimming pool and gym facilities; both of which were excellent. The only down side to this hotel was the location, being a solid walk from main shopping/restaurant area of Queen Street and the harbour. In saying this, it was very close to the Sky Tower and fairly easy to access from the Airbus.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mitchell R,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were very pleased to read your review and we will share this with the wider team, who will be delighted as I was to learn that you had a relaxing stay with us. We are centrally located to the main Shopping Street but as you and other reviewer’s state we are located away from the Waterfront in the more leafy part of town with many Theatres, Galleries located close by, we do have the advantage of being away from the noisy bars that can sometimes affect CBD Hotels.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Regards Paul
Meridian, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights in late November with a friend. We were able to check in quickly, although the first room we were given was the wrong type. After a quick trip back to the desk, we checked into a nicely sized room with 2 double beds. The beds were fairly soft and comfortable. Our room had a minibar area, and we enjoyed having the fridge to store water, juice and milk in. The bathroom design is horrible though. The shower only has a curtain surrounding it, and water splashed all over. We had to turn the showerhead to face the wall to avoid getting puddles near the sink area. Both my friend and I slipped numerous times, and used towel after towel to try to sop up water. I'm sure this setup would be nice as a handicap accessible shower, but it made us very leery to use it!

The concierge staff was fairly helpful in getting us booked on a ferry trip to Waiheke Island for a wine tour. We later tried to book a day trip to Hobbiton, Waitomo Glowworm Caves and Rotorua through the desk, but ended up booking it ourselves online.

Oh, one last thing: the internet service. Each device in the room was alloted 3 consecutive hours of WiFi access in a 24 hour period. This wasn't explained well when we checked in, so the hotel was kind enough to give us a few free passes. For the price of the hotel though, we felt that WiFi should have been free 24/7.

All in all, good hotel. It's centrally located and we were able to walk pretty much anywhere we wanted.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear NAUgrad2005,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review following your stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I can confirm the Bathroom design you received was an accessible room, hence the set-up of the shower, the majority of the rooms are a traditional shower design. I would like to apologise that you were allocated this type of room, I do know that over this time we were busy and we needed to accommodate your bedding configuration. I am also pleased to report that we have now changed the internet system so you are now able to access 24 hours non-stop, this is available on complimentary basis at low speed, which is perfect for email and simple surfing.
Thank you once again for taking the time to complete your review and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is a good hotel that could ge great with very little effort.
We had a lovely hige room that has recently been refurbished, but htere was no safe, something that I expect these days, although you can use the safety deposit boxes at reception.
Gym and Swimming pool were great, and there is alovely outside area that with a bit of tender loving care could be excellant and a real bonus to the hotel.
Rooms were kept clean and tidy but sometimes it was late in the afternoon before the room got serviced.
The only downside to this is its location as it is a good 15 minute walk to the harbour area and thats back up hill on the way back to the hotel, although the hotel is on the city bus loop that costs something like a $1 a trip.
all in all I would not hesitate to use or recommend this hotel in the future

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jec01,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel following your recent stay in New Zealand. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our refurbished rooms to be comfortable and clean, the final part of our refurbishment is the installation of In room Guest Safes, over 90% of the hotel is compete and we expect to finish the remainder this month.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and New Zealand in the very near future.

Hamilton, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The stay at the hotel was pleasant enough with reasonable facilities. Nothing to complain about.

I managed to forget something in the room I was staying in. It wasn't anything fancy, just some toiletries that I had purchased overseas and couldn't get in NZ. I checked out and and realised later that day that I had left something in the room. I phoned the hotel once I had realised my mistake (about 3pm) and told a staff member that I had left something, where I had left it, and exactly what it was. I was told that it wouldn't be a problem and that room service would pick up the lost item and hand it in that day. The staff member was pleasant enough and took my details and promised to call me back.

I didn't hear anything for a few days and assumed they must have forgotten to call back. I rang back and asked what had happened. I was told that nothing had been handed in. I was somewhat surprised by this given I had called the same day I had checked out and was told that room service had not been completed yet. The staff member told me that they would look to replace it as it must have been thrown out. Again, they took my details and promised to get a duty manager to call me back.

I didn't hear back from the hotel for a week so decided to call again. I spoke to a duty manager who had no idea what I was talking about. They promised to get in touch with "lost and found" that day and call me back once they had figured out what had happened.

Another few days goes by and I haven't heard anything so I follow up again. This time I get another duty manager who again has no idea what I'm talking about. This time, the duty manager says that they won't be replacing the item as the hotel does not take any responsibility for guest's property left in rooms. I questioned whether that was such a sound blanket policy but was told that was the hotel's policy and they would not be replacing it. The duty manager said he would double check with "lost and found", though, and get back to me once he had talked to them. Another week has passed with no call back.

The fact that the item is gone is annoying and I know that I should have been more careful. However, I am disappointed that I notified the hotel staff on the same day I checked out, told them where it was etc, and I have been told that nothing was handed in. I am disappointed that, despite being promised on four occasions that the Hotel would contact me, no one has called me to give me a final answer. The hotel staff were generally pleasant to talk to but obviously very dismissive of the situation and could not even give me the courtesy of a follow up phone call. Given the rating of the Hotel, I expected much more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear kal_f4u

Thank you for your review of Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland following your recent stay with us. On behalf of the team here I would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the level of service you have described. We will make contact with you directly through this site and offer a more personal apology. I will discuss this review and our service shortfalls with the teams that were involved to ensure a similar shortfall does not happen again, clearly this falls well below our minimum standards.
Once again I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

The staff were very professional and helpful. The rooms have been renovated so they have all of the mod cons. The only downside of the hotel was the location. It was a 15 min walk from the harbour. The buffet breakfast could do with some improvement as well.

Stayed January 2013
RendezvousAuckland, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear PavNick,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Auckland, we were pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and in particular the staff and the quality of our guest rooms.
You are correct, we are not located near the harbour, but our advantage is a leafier area of town in the heart of the Theatre, Parks and Arts district
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rendezvous Grand Hotel in the very near future

Best regards Paul

Been to Rendezvous Hotel Auckland? Share your experiences!