“A central location to explore a bit of Auckland” 5 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN President Hotel Auckland
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   27-35 Victoria Street West, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #24 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Wahiawa, Hawaii
“A central location to explore a bit of Auckland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

One of THE best rooms I stayed in while in New Zealand. I stayed at this property on the last three nights of my two-week trip here, and it was the perfect place to wrap up my vacation. I thought I would be relaxing in my room working on my laptop for a lot of the time—and the incredibly spacious and comfortable room was ideally suited for just that—however, there were way too many things to see and do in Auckland!

But first off, I was on the 14th floor of the hotel and had great views of the surrounding city skyline with the Sky Tower right down the street. Because I had a corner unit, the two walls of windows were great to let in the daylight. Two twin beds were placed together which was fine with me; they were really comfortable. Nice and quiet even though I was near the elevators. Good lighting; bed tables on both sides; good area to keep the suitcase open; nice work desk area with TV, keyboard for internet (optional to use); two really comfy chairs and small desk for a sitting area; spacious kitchen area off to side with sink, microwave, small fridge, hot water pot, utensils, plates; roomy bathroom with nice sink area, shower stall. There's a sign by the sink that indicates hot water is available for 15 minutes and more after 45 minutes. Thoughtful bathroom lighting starts off at lower wattage then brightens up, giving your eyes time to adjust to the brightness. There's a gym and restaurant, both of which I didn't use. You can also use the computers in the lobby area for your one-hour online access and to print out your boarding pass.

The only two slightly negative aspects of my stay were the constant hum of the heater, which did keep the room warm, and WIFI. Every guest receives free internet access for one hour per day in the lobby; you can also pay 5.00 for four hours in your room (affordable and worth it) or more if you wish. I opted for the 5.00 option, but for some reason I wasn't able to load pages up in my room though the signal was strong. I called the front desk and they tried to remedy the situation quite a few times, even coming up to my room to check the signal. They even gave me free 24-hour internet use. Unfortunately, the solution couldn't be found so I just ended up staying in the lobby for an hour a day. I do give them props for trying.

Regardless, I'm really happy with my stay here. The location is key and so convenient for checking out Auckland, especially if you don't have transportation. It's smack dab in the middle of everything! Just make two lefts out the door and you're on Queen Street for shopping; Sky Tower (with restaurants, Sky Jump, Sky Walk) is right up the street; the North Wharf is about a 15-minute walk away with its incredible array of restaurants, the Maritime Museum, fish market and lots more (check out the cool public bathrooms in the stacked cargo holders and neat buildings just past it). Surrounding the hotel are your choice of shops, services (camera and other), restaurants, cafes, bakeries and so much more. I enjoyed dinner at Elliot Stables on Elliot Street, a quick walk from the hotel, that's an indoor upscale food court popular with local folks after work and visitors; Elliot Atrium has a food court on the bottom and cute boutiques; the Downtown Shopping Centre on Queen Street has NZ gift shops, boutiques, food court; plus so much more. Note: there's a sundry store that you can see from the hotel lobby, but instead, go to Countdown grocery store about three doors down; items are cheaper. Lines are longer after work so go earlier if you don't want to get stuck there.

Your options for transportation to get further afield are also available. Britomart Transport and ferries to Rangitoto and Waiheke islands are on the waterfront on Quay Street (15-20 minute walk). Bus stops to get to attractions and neighboring areas (Parnell Village looks like a cool area) are right outside the hotel. You can also purchase a $40 day-long pass (second day is $20) at the Sky Tower's I-Centre for the Auckland Explorer (hop on, hop off) that takes you to major attractions. I did this and found that you need to start early in order to make the most of it since transport generally ends before 4 p.m. and each attraction takes at least one hour minimum to really enjoy (Auckland Zoo, Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium, Auckland Museum, Newmarket Shops, Eden Garden—check it out!—Motat and Parnell Village will all require more than an hour). So your best bet will most likely be the public bus system so you can take your time and not feel pressured to rush.

Transport to and from Auckland Airport is no problem either. I used the Super Shuttle NZ from the airport to the hotel (shared) and the hotel arranged personal transport for me back to the airport ($30 I think). There are other cheaper options as well.

All in all, I would definitely stay at this hotel again. If all you can do is a quick trip to Auckland and don't have transportation, this would be an ideal headquarters.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Romeo L, Front Desk Manager at BEST WESTERN President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Sarah 808

I wish to take this great opportunity on behalf of the entire team in thanking you for you wonderful review of your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN President Hotel. I really enjoyed reading your many positive comments about our property as well as making note on negative comments mentioned which will assist us to make future improvements. I again wish to sincerely apologize for the internet connectivity issues you had experienced during your stay and we will be working on improving our WIFI service. Again the entire team and I at The BEST WESTERN President are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the President hotel. It was in the very central Auckland and perfect for our needs, one block from Sky Tower and also Queen St. The service was very good, the staff very friendly and helpful. Our room was, maybe, slightly dated, but very clean and spacious and was serviced each day to a very high standard. The breakfast buffet was very good and had a great choice of food, both cooked and continental.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel and unfortunately quite noisy in the early hours of the mornin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Romeo L, Front Desk Manager at BEST WESTERN President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Julie W

Thank you very much for your recent review about the BEST WESTERN President Hotel, Auckland. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our great value buffet breakfast and found all our our staff helpful and friendly. I will be passing onto our housekeeping team your comments about the servicing of your room. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment in the near future.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed here for one night recently whilst travelling. The hotel offers nice sized rooms, efficient check-in and is in an excellent location one block down from the sky tower. The only down side were the noisy neighbours arriving back in the early hours, banging doors and talking loudly. For the price of the accommodation and the location, its very good value.

Dear TheGeneralPublic

Thank you for your recent review about your stay at the BEST WESTERN President Hotel, Auckland. We are very happy to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us and that your check in was efficient. I do however wish to apologize in regards to the noisy neighbors you had during that night, hope this has not dampened your impression of the hotel as very often this is something outside the control of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Bobin, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Other than our first night which was one of four during our stay in Auckland we would rate this Motel as Excellent, however it was ruined by the noise of slamming doors and wall banging by a group of young people on our floor. We recommend that all there doors be fitted with sound absorbing rubber buffers. This disturbance was reported to management about 9pm and although we believe they took some action the noise continued until around midnight. On the positive side the rooms (we stayed two nights on level seven and later that week on level nine) were very clean and comfortable. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. This Motel was close to all the active we were after. We would return to this Motel again and highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Romeo L, Front Desk Manager at BEST WESTERN President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Sue C

I wish to thank you for taking your precious time in providing us with feedback on your recent stay with us. I wish to however apologize about the noise incident which had occurred during one of your nights and I have passed your suggestion to the respective department. It is encouraging to read that your room was always well cleaned by our housekeeping team, for whom we are always setting high standards. We most most certainly look forward to your return to the BEST WESTERN President Hotel in the not so distant future.

istanbul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel and what we appreciated most is its cleanness. No matter on what floor you will stay the elevator will take you there in a second because it is almost as fast as the one at Sky Tower. The supermarket right below is also quite handy.
I started with positive comments but there are also a few negative points; When I checked in they took 150 Dollar per night deposit from my credit card for 3 nights although I had paid in advance and that upset me. The mattresses were quite soft causing me fall off the bed one night as I was rolling. The window sealing was not good and I was disturbed by the noise of the garbage trucks early in the morning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Stop 25

We wish to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule and provide us with feedback on your recent stay with us. In several late reviews we are reading about cleanliness and find this very encouraging for our housekeeping team in particular. In regards to the Pre Authorization processed on your credit card, this is a fairly common practice by many hotels and is done as a way of guarantee for incidental charges. I wish to apologize in regards to the soft mattress and will ensure to pass this onto the respective department. Also in regard to the noise issue you had experienced. We will be implementing a long term sound proofing project fairly soon which will address the noise issue in the long term. We hope to we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed in Auckland for 3 nights and found the Best Western to have the best rates for my group. We were looking for a hotel with a washer/dryer in the unit, and this hotel had the perfect 2 bedroom family unit with a kitchen. The Best Western is located close to SkyTower and Queen St so everything was within walking distance. There is a small market next to the Best Western as well so we were able to pick up water and snacks as needed. The location is great. The price was reasonable. The only issue I had with the room was that it had a strange sewage-like smell. This smell on the bags stayed with us for another week after we left the Best Western. We ended up purchasing some Febreze to take care of the smell. The 2 bedroom apt that we reserved also only had 1 heating unit, which made the apt pretty warm in one room and pretty cold in the other. Extra blankets are provided so we were able to resolve this issue quickly. Other than the smell, we would stay here again since all we really needed was a clean bed to sleep in. If you plan on relaxing in the hotel all day, I would say this is not the hotel for you. The internet is complimentary but is limited to just 1 hour and can only be accessed from the lobby. However, if you are planning on exploring the city and just want a clean place to stay, the Best Western is pretty decent place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Romeo L, Front Desk Manager at BEST WESTERN President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Kikkochi

I wish to take this this opportunity in thanking you on behalf of the entire team here at the BEST WESTERN President Hotel Auckland for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I wish to apologize in regards to the drain smell and have passed this onto the relevant department to look into further and rectify this. I am delighted to read that you found our location a major asset during your stay. On the internet side we will soon be introducing basic standard speed WIFI throughout all the rooms with a premium WIFI package available for purchase. We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our establishment in the near future.

Chamonix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Excellent location so easy access to all the attractions of Auckland. Great value, very good buffet breakfast, clean comfortable room and very helpful and efficient staff, Nothing was too much trouble for them and always with a smile. I would recommend this hotel to anyone ad definitely will use it when I return to Auckland.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Romeo L, Front Desk Manager at BEST WESTERN President Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Ann K

I wish to take this opportunity to thank you for taking your time and providing us with your fantastic and highly encouraging feedback on your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN President Hotel. We always strive ourselves in delivering exceptional guest service and experience and set a high standard for our personnel. We again like to our extend our sincerest thank you and look forward to your return to the hotel in the near future.

Front Desk Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN President Hotel Auckland? Share your experiences!