“Rude and abrupt staff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mamak Malaysian Restaurant

Mamak Malaysian Restaurant
50 Kitchener Street | Chancery Square, Auckland, New Zealand (Formerly Mamak Malaysian Resturant)
+64 9-948 6479
Improve this listing
Ranked #319 of 1,294 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Rude and abrupt staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2014

A friend brought me here as he had been often in the past and found it good value for money. The meals were ok but at 9pm, when we were half way through our mains, a lady staff member told us we had to go up and pay. She then stood there and waited for us to go up. We were both stunned at the rudeness of her disturbing our meal but we went up and paid anyway. Upon returning to the table our uneaten meals had been cleared away! Other patrons were still eating and the restaurant clearly advertised a 9:30pm close time so this kind of rudeness was totally unexpected. I since discovered this restaurant has changed hands and the new owners are failing to maintain the high standards of their excellent predecessors.

Auckland
“Malaysian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

The most popular restaurant in Chancery, Auckland. Majority of guests are Asian. Prices are reasonable, service is quick. Limited bar and prices are quite high but this is a fast food restaurant and takeout. Food is tasty.

• Visited November 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kerikeri
“A new family favourite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014 via mobile

This has become a real go-to whenever we visit Auckland. It's all good, the central location, the exceptionally tasty food, the excellent value, and the efficient service. The menu works for my unadventurous seven year old and my egg-allergic 12 year old just as well as it does for me, my wife, and my highly adventurous 10 year old. Get here early...it gets filled up fast!

Visited October 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Wow😀”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

I am visiting NZ from USA. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of food at Mamak. The place is small but the service was great. Staff was very friendly. It gets busy so I recommend calling ahead and getting a reservation.
Will go back again before I leave town.

• Visited November 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
England UK
“Brilliant !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

A little Malaysian cafe with some outside seating in the Chancery area of town and with some the best Malay food we have had. It is a simple little place but the food is great and not expensive. We tried both the Prawn Randang and the Beef version and they were terrific. Loveley flavours from the meats and the coconut rice was superb. Not a huge menu but that was not a problem as the quality and the service (you won't wait long) tops it all. Our only downer? Forget the Malay Beer - it really isn't very good but please don't miss this little gem.

Visited October 2014