“What a let down” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #271 of 1,180 restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Refreshment Room is all about fresh, homemade and inspired, rustic Italian cooking. We make almost all of our food onsite and incorporate locally produced organic and seasonal ingredients into our meals; also supplemented by our chef-tendered vegetable garden. We cater for vegetarian, gluten free and vegan diners. We provide a relaxed, dining experience with a large outdoor deck and stunning views of the Waitakere bush. Only five minutes from Titirangi Village. We host large groups, banquet dining, functions and events.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“What a let down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We booked this place as it said they cater for vegans, great! So we rang the day before to give notice and arrived on time. We waited 15 mins to get our table, then when I mentioned the vegan options I got a blank stare. The waitress decided I could have two options, so I chose one... She returned a couple of minutes later to tell me they had egg in them, then didn't offer anything else. At this stage I thought she was only offering a non vegan dish and we would have to leave!

Eventually I got offered a pasta dish. It was disgusting! A very basic bowl of pasta with tomato sauce and basil thrown on top.. I couldn't even eat it and I could have made better myself.
I can understand them not having an option but as far as I'm concerned it is false advertising, we rang in advance as requested but it was obvious they had no idea of how to make a vegan dish.
Yes vegans eat good food too and this was just an insult.

Needless to say we didn't stay for dessert. The service was extremely slow leaving us waiting for drinks. The food was terrible and over priced. The restaurant is also noisy with tables really close together.

Our meal consisted of a few olives, some bruschetta, a bowl of pasta with tomato sauce and some ravioli and it came to $100!

Wish we didn't waste our time when there are so many nicer places that easily cater for vegans in the city.. Come on its not that hard!!

I think most people with a diet requirement are always on the look out for new places to try and recommend to each other but unfortunately this was a huge disappointment and we won't be recommending to anyone :(

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A nice treat for something different!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We came here for lunch a few weekends ago. The food was wonderful and the location fab, with a nice peaceful deck area. The service was a bit hit and miss but the food more than made up for that! Would recommend this place for something a bit different - out of town location and very tasty food!

Visited January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent food and a wonderful night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

In Auckland visiting family and inlaws (who looked after the kids so took a well deserved night out). My cousin recommended this place so we went to dinner with 2 other couples. Fantastic views and great night. The food was very very good and service was also excellent. Would definitely dine there again. Pricing is also very reasonable.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Auckland
“HIGH CUISINE OFF THE BEATEN TRACK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

A birthday dinner with friends was highly enjoyable in this special location. Tucked back a little off Scenic Drive (you can miss it) between Titirangi Village and the Arataki Centre, the Refreshment Room offers the rare joy of a regular fresh new menu every time you go. The meals are tasty, fresh and unique, the service is good and the wine choices are excellent. Bookings in advance are essential.

Visited November 2012
Waitakere city
“Stunning food in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Love the combinations they do of meat and vegetables. plenty of fresh ingredients. I would be happy to be blindfolded and stick a pin in the menu!

Visited November 2012