“Absolutely Wonderful Stay at Ponsonby House” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ponsonby House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Auckland
Ponsonby House
You added Ponsonby House to your Saves list
8 Douglas St | Ponsonby, Auckland 1021, New Zealand   |
Ranked #10 of 59 Auckland B&B and Inns
Camas, Washington
“Absolutely Wonderful Stay at Ponsonby House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in the Earl Grey room. Lovely large, room (spotlessly clean!) with beautiful furnishings and the most comfortable bed of any B&B we've stayed in. The breakfast each morning served in our room was fantastic -- croissants, fruit, cheese, cereal, juice, coffee & tea -- always delicious.
Our hosts were so friendly & personable. Bernadette always had time to answer any questions we might have concerning transportation, things to do, and places to eat.
The location of this B&B is very nice, close to shopping and many good restaurants. Bus transportation is only 1/2 block away & will take you anywhere you want to go in Auckland.
Would highly recommend this lovely B&B to anyone seeking a very pleasant stay in a great part of Auckland.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed two nights in the ‘Earl Grey’ room at Ponsonby House on friend’s recommendation. What a stunner! The quality of the carpet tells you a lot about a place and this place has a fabulous carpet. Our room was large with a sofa and table to sit and enjoy the hot croissants and fresh fruit for breakfast. Small kitchenette with fridge, lots of china and cutlery and all the tea and fresh coffee you can drink. Very comfortable bed. The bathroom is fabulous. No nasty surprises here. Quiet Street but very close to all the action. Bernadette calmly ensures that her guests are well looked after. It’s great!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I needed a place to stay on very short notice, and pot-lucked the suggestion of Ponsonby House from another place which was full. I called Ponsonby House and Bernadette took my call, and cheerily told me she had a room due to a cancellation. As everything was booked out all through Auckland (a huge football tournament was on), I took it, knowing nothing about the area or the B&B. Well, I can safely say that I will not even bother staying anywhere BUT Ponsonby House in any future trips I have to Auckland. After I had booked it I called a Kiwi friend who informed me that Ponsonby is one of, if not the trendiest suburbs in Auckland. And the B&B itself is located about 50m from the trendiest part, of the trendiest street! We were a group of 3, and we shared the Earl Grey room. There was a king sized bed, a single, a lounge, coffee table and kitchenette. It was very spacious and even with 3 of us, there was plenty of room! Everything has been freshly refurbished to a very high standard, and the bathroom was huge and also freshly re-done to a modern standard. The bedding was extremely high quality, and the beds felt like hotel beds! Jonathan and Bernadette made us breakfast every morning and their fresh, hot croissants are to die for! I cannot recommend this B&B enough, they have simply nailed it! As for the person who said that there was no common area for people to relax together, it's not something that I understand, because to me a B&B is just that…. Bed and Breakfast. Not a hotel that has a cocktail bar or common area. Plus, you only have to walk 50m for the best bars in Auckland! Ponsonby House is incredible. Cannot give it wraps enough!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Lovely b&b on quiet street. Lots of good restaurants nearby. Good public transit, too. Bernadette was very caring - she waited all morning for my delayed suitcase to arrive! We highly recommend Ponsonby House.

• Stayed March 2014
Washington, DC suburbs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We chose Ponsonby house because of its location, and that worked well. It is close to the Inner Loop busline and that allowed us to leave our car and not have to deal with Auckland traffic and parking.
Our hosts were very nice. They parked their car on the street so we'd have a space to park when we arrived. They shared good information about Auckland and how to get around.
Our room was very clean, bed and pillows were comfortable. Our continental breakfast was delivered to our door each morning, and was very good. The bad news about this was there was no common room to meet other travelers. We did feel like we were in a hotel.
Other pluses, wifi was good, shower was fantastic, neighborhood was safe and lots of late night activity on Ponsonby Street.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
hertford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights recently and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It was clean and comfortable and we really liked the area. It was on the bus route but we enjoyed the walk down to the Skytower and other attractions and back up again. Very convenient. It was well situated for an evening stroll or meal in Ponsonby Road too. We were happy to have breakfast in our room, though it is good to meet other guests sometimes. Our hosts were very helpful and friendly.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I'm a bit torn writing this review. I wouldn't disagree with any of the other reviewers per se, but perhaps how I feel about Ponsonby House is the downside of online reviews and a website that markets well (my expectations were high after reading only positive things, and people who've had just a 'meh' experience like ours usually don't bother to review).

The owners are indeed very helpful and pleasant. The location is reasonably good (though Douglas Street isn't exactly flash). The room was clean, the bed comfortable. The house is nice enough.

The major downside is that Ponsonby House has absolutely no communal space. No lounge, lobby, or dining room, and no garden (except a small veranda on the front) or off-street parking (on street parking is free though).

Part of the experience of staying in a bed and breakfast or hotel for me is the breakfast part, and it left us underwhelmed and a bit disappointed. A continental tray is left outside your bedroom door in the morning: croissants, cheese, bread and jam/honey, standard cornflakes and muesli and a couple of bits of fruit and yoghurt. Apart from the fact that it feels a bit like being given a packed lunch allocation, the major downside is that you have to eat it in your room. Of all the B&Bs I've stayed in (in NZ, Aus and Europe) I have never experienced this before. It felt a bit weird filling a kettle in the en suite to make a cup of tea with breakfast! (And of course, there's no coffee machine).

Our room had two chairs and a small narrow desk-type table (not really set up for eating). To be fair, I asked if there was anywhere else to eat and was offered the veranda or the owner's own back yard (which felt a bit too much like intruding on their space). It just wasn't at all what I was expecting.

If I had been aware that that was the arrangement I'd not have booked at Ponsonby House. Nothing on the website seems to spell this out, but neither does it specify to the contrary. Some people might like the novelty, but I prefer to choose my own breakfast and eat it in a comfortable environment, at a table. So I guess it comes down to what you are anticipating. If you are ok with the breakfast set-up and basically being confined to your room, everything else is fine. Would we go back? No, probably not.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Ponsonby House? Share your experiences!