“You gotta do it once.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 nightlife in Auckland
Type: Bar/ Clubs
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Come on in to Auckland’s only ice bar, where everything from the glassware to the bar is completely made of ice!Once we provide you with a warm jacket, gloves and footwear you will be ready to experience this amazing winter wonderland.Whether you want to bring the entire family for a one of a kind experience, to enjoy Freddy’s famous cocktails, mocktails or shots from the Jäger Ice Luge, Freddy’s caters to everyone.With the unique Kiwi themed carvings, the interactive ice games and sculptures you can touch, play with or even lick at your own peril, you are guaranteed to have the coolest experience ever.Come on in and enjoy the Freddy’s experience.
FL
47 attraction reviews
“You gotta do it once.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

Don't worry about giving up your stuff. Honest bunch. They take EVERYthing from you. My wallet and all was in my purse. It's very hard to hold anything in the giant gloves you're wearing. I wore my camera and inside gave to bartender to take some pix. At my own risk of him dropping of course!!! Went in daytime. Place empty. You dress in their warm gear and we got to chose the music. Guy let us take our own pix, and he took some for shop. We bought his as his camera was set to show colors in dark and such. We got the fruity drink suggested by another review and it was great, peachacolada. 10% off coupon in city book we got at airport. $25 a person includes one drink. You get to smash ice glass into pieces in a trashcan when done drinking. Shattering ice is loud and fun! Sit on animal skins on ice benches. Touch touch touch everything. You're on a time limit for safety. Make some FUN pix!!! We LOVED having the place to ourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visited October 2010

Auckland
“Novelty but be careful not to be ripped off”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

Went here very recently with my partner having picked up a '2 for 1' Entry voucher from our accommodation. The member of staff said this was strictly for Entry only and did not include a complimentary drink (as the website suggested) and that it would be cheaper to each pay for an entry that did include a drink. Having felt conned as I couldn't see the 'Entry only' price in the price list, I subtly queried this later with a different member of staff who said that all entry included a complimentary drink. The first member of staff had simply made up a price to get us to pay more money to go in - absolutely unacceptable and not the way to treat customers.

Cocktails are expensive at $12 as they only have a dribble of vodka in, and you aren't allowed to take any pictures as they take them and then sell them to you for $$$. The ice sculptures are impressive but the lying staff and money grabbing nature of the place ruined it for me.

Sydney
19 attraction reviews
“Icebreaker...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

Have been to both the Auckland Minus 5 twice and the Sydney one once...with friends who havent travelled to NZ.(im from Sydney) I too think its/they are overpriced for what it is but i love how every visit has been different as in the sculptures etc...im always fascinated by it and more fascinated that i can eat my glass after my drink - sorry but little things amuse me :) People usually munch on chips or nuts at the bar - i munch on my empty glass! Definately overpriced entry & complimentary drinks. I found Sydney staff to be rude and bored with their job on my visit...the NZ staff have all been lovely. Be careful of your cameras...they do freeze under these conditions ( mine had to be replaced).
If i remember correctly we were allowed to stay in for 15 minutes...staff have 30 minute shifts...sculptures are renewed every 8 or 11 weeks ( all of this being at the time of my visits) I was also able to take my son in for the same entry fee but of course he wasnt entitled to drinks being underage and they were not transferable ( which i thought was a rip off) all in all, i do love the layout and sculptures in the place and will definately be going back to the AKL one in a few months, if its still open, to show my family who havent seen it. To be honest - if u r travelling on a strict budget don't bust yourself to get there - as someone above mentioned its just the novelty of it.

USA
“Gimmick and Rip Off - Don't waste your time or money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

The bar is pretty lame all together. When you finally agree to the $35 charge just to get in, you'll find out there are a lot of other hidden expenses later on. The staff is very friendly right up until you make it clear that you are not willing to drop a few hundred dollars. The bar is not even interesting.. total waste of money. Grrrrr.. why did I get talked in to going here?!

Sydney, Australia
26 attraction reviews
“Minus 5 Ice Lounge Sydney, Australia - same group, different location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

Right in the heart of the Circular Quay next to Bar Lenin, between the train station and the Opera House.

Everything inside minus5 is made of ice; the walls, the bar, the sculptures, the seats and even the glasses that you enjoy our famous vodka-based cocktails in. Our focus at minus5 is the art of ice. We have our own ice carver who changes the lounge and sculptures every 6-8 weeks, continually re-inventing the experience. Sculptures can reflect the season, location, wildlife, or even corporate logos and products for private functions. The possibilities are endless.

Once commencing the tour, guests are kitted out in Eskimo-like ice gear which includes insulated jackets, gloves and sheepskin-lined boots.

Guests can explore the ice lounge and relax on ice couches covered in deer skin, and sip on a wide range of vodka cocktails using only the world’s premium vodkas, served in our custom-designed glasses made from NZ artesian water.

Recommend!!