“A great foodie experience!” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #5 of 20 Food & Drink in Auckland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Auckland's number one food tour experience. A fun and flavour filled insight into the excellent cuisine, markets, restaurants and producers Auckland has to offer.The Big Foody is the tour to give you the tastiest insight into New Zealand. 4.5 hours of tastings and ideas on where to enjoy the most of your Auckland gastronomic experiences. Small and intimate groups. Pickups available! Tour starts 9:30am 9.30am - 2pm Mon to Sun. Other times by arrangement. "There are many ways to explore Auckland’s culinary scene but none may be more tasty, enjoyable and informative than the city tour offered by The Big Foody. Elle Armon-Jones, the self described “big cheese” is well qualified and thoroughly knowledgeable about all the nooks and crannies that make Auckland a strong contender for food capital of the southern hemisphere. Her informative commentary about food, wine, culture and the current trends is lively and enthusiastic. She’ll have you salivating in seconds." Diane S. Travel Writer Los Angeles
3 attraction reviews
“A great foodie experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I was the only one booked the morning of the tour so I had Elle as my personal tour guide. We went all over Auckland on our tour of the city and I learned a lot about the city and its food and drink. Since I prefer craft beers to wine, Elle customized the last part of the tour to go to a couple of pubs for a beer tasting. Overall it was a great Auckland experience and I would reccomend this tour to anyone wanting to learn more about and sample the local delicacies!

TheBigFoody, Owner at The Big Foody Food Tours, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thanks for the lovely review. Loved that we could tailor it for you and show off our FAB New Zealand beers. Have an amazing rest of your time travelling and I'm off to research New Mexican food!!! :)

Oregon, Wisconsin
“Wonderful way to start your New Zealand vacation and Elle is a great guide.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was definitely the best part of our three days in Auckland. We found the most luscious mango I've ever had, discovered an awesome shop that carried the best of New Zealand foods and imports from around the world, tasted NZ wine, and savored every moment at the fish market. The lunch was fabulous and Elle was a wealth of information.

Visited February 2014
TheBigFoody, Owner at The Big Foody Food Tours, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hi Guys - Thank you for your comments. I loved meeting you both and getting the salivating thoughts going!!! I hope you've had the best time in NZ and with your daughter. Please keep in touch and come back and see me again!!! Big Hugs

Elle x
“Yum yum yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We had a great time on this tour visiting all sorts of different places. I would recommend this as a good starting Activity in Auckland only because Elle has so much good information about where and what to eat for the rest of your trip!

Visited January 2014
TheBigFoody, Owner at The Big Foody Food Tours, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Loved meeting you both and thank you for coming on the tour! I hope the coconut fish was a success!Come back to NZ soon :)
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
“Fantastic Tour for Foodies!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

From start to finish, this was a fantastic tour! Elle is a wonderfully enthusiastic (and hilarious) guide and extremely knowledgeable of the area and, more importantly, the food! She's everything you'd want and need in a guide. We visited a farmers' market where I tried my first mussel fritter (delicious). Elle then brought us to Sabato (a specialty food store), which offered a wide range of European foods, took us sightseeing to Mount Eden and finished the tour with a wonderful wine tasting lesson and a delightful tour and seafood lunch at the Auckland Fishmarket. I had a wonderful time and strongly recommend this tour to anyone visiting or moving to Auckland. Thanks, Elle!

Visited January 2014
TheBigFoody, Owner at The Big Foody Food Tours, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Please come and open a Greek restaurant in Auckland - please please please. Great tour with you all and I'm glad to hear you got back ok depsite all the rubbish weather. I'll keep you posted with the book and recipes :) Happy 2014 and big hugs x
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic Food & Strongly Recommended Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Elle's Big Foody Food Tour was the highlight of my visit to Auckland. What an interesting and varied tour! Knowing I had an interest in markets, Elle included several on the tour (she's happy to personalise your tour to your interests) including Avondale market, La Cigale French Market and the Auckland Fish Market complete with lunch and a tasting of very good local wines. Another great foodie place included was Sabato, offering a wonderful range of foods from Italy, Spain and France along with the most interesting range of utensils and other kitchen/dining supplies. I was a very happy shopper!

Despite so many markets and foodie retailers being closed at this time of year (1st Sunday in January), Elle's vast knowledge of Auckland and its food sector ensured that not only did we visit an interesting and varied range of places, but that on my next visit to Auckland, and my next tour with Elle, there'll be many more places to visit that weren't possible this time. Can't wait!

Visited January 2014
Didn't we have a great day? Loved touring the markets with you and swapping stories. Please come back again soon and we can do loads more!!! :)
Happy 2014 and big hugs x