“Such a great experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Rainforest canyoning tours in two canyons 45 minutes drive from Auckland. The Piha Canyon - Full day, half day and night canyon options.The Blue Canyon - Full day adventure.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Such a great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My friend and I took the full day trip to Piha from Auckland. It was amazing. I felt completely safe with the tour guide and equipment. I was extremely nervous about abseiling down the last cliff which was 135 ft high. Our tour guide allowed me to go tandem with him so i didnt miss out on the opportunity. I was so grateful for that! He made the whole experience that much better :) I highly recommend this tour to everyone who has a spare day on their holiday!
Also, it was so great that the guide takes pictures of you during the trip. You can purchase them at the end for only 15$ usd. They all turned out great!

Visited March 2013

Dublin, Ireland
“A must-do while in Auckland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Both my girlfriend and I have experience in canyoning and were pretty stoked to hear about AWOL while in Auckland; we decided to book the full day Piha canyon trip and it was the highlight of our short holidays in the North Island! A very scenic drive up to the West Coast, about 45 minutes away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Auckland. Javier, our guide, was very knowledgeable about the area and gave us plenty of information about the local flora, apart from providing the less-experienced guests with complete and thorough training (from abseiling techniques to safety procedures) for the upcoming adventure. The water temperature is perfect, not too cold and fresh enough to keep you cool during moments of intense activity. 3 waterfalls down (the largest being 55m high), a brief lunch stop to replenish our energies and then to the bottom section of the canyon, with slotted abseils and a couple of cool jumps, apart from the caves and surprise appearances from local guests (check it out yourselves!). We were stoked to have completed one more canyon and couldn't recommend it more! Before leaving Piha (a gem of a place), we went down to check the black sand beach, which is cool and provides a few photo opportunities. If you're in Auckland for a day and have no plans, our suggestion is: GET WET WITH AWOL CANYONING!

Visited March 2013
northcarolina
6 attraction reviews
“A Great Experience if you are looking for Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We booked this trip through our cruise ship although you can book it through the direct web site also. Our time in port was cut a little short and we wanted to be sure the ship would be there when we finished. This is a great adventure. It advertises high level of fitness and the climb up the mountain was definitely a work out. Great instruction prior to climb. Enough guides to help you do what you wanted at your comfort level. I always felt like I could say no to any aspect of the adventure but I am SO glad I did everything. The pictures were great and were sent to us very quickly. The crew were super friendly. No negatives for this activity.

Visited January 2013
Vancouver, Canada
13 attraction reviews
“Totally fun day and we kept saying "I'm so glad we're doing this!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We signed up just by chance and were able to get a last minute booking for the next day. Perfect since we only had three days in Auckland. And are we glad we did?

We loved going e
Way back into the rainforest and gearing up, with a very thorough and definitely safety-oriented leader (there were always two guides with us...usually making sure no one was falling behind and also to help with safety, pics, eye. And definitely, without a doubt, get their pics. You can take your own but you will never get the close ups and angles they do, and I think they are a very, very good deal for the price. Definitely have not set out to gouge anyone with digital pic costs and you will be sorry to leave without them.

We had multiple jumps (we did blue canyon tour) and absailing (rappelling to me) which was surprisingly not too scary feeling but pushed the boundaries of what we were comfortable doing, in a good way! You feel safe but it is so easy to slip ( I did and thank god for the helmet and body suit...it happens so quick) and going down backwards is a very freaky thing. But at the bottom you feel so great and then get to usually jump into another pool, and another, all the way down the trail.

Lunch was simple but Delilah, and there was the world's friendliest eel (!) who kept coming over to say hi and bum some food from us.

So to cam and Javier, thx for the great day and see you again someday when we get through town again!

Scott and dvid

Visited February 2013
unknown
11 attraction reviews
“Huge dose of fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The right combination of abseils, waterfalls, safety and a huge dose of fun! You can safely put yourself in the hands of Cam and his awesome team. At no time were you pressurized into an activity you didn't feel comfortable in and even learnt some things about the native plants in the area. Beware the initial climb up to the waterfall is pretty taxing, though time was given for the group to rest and munch on chocolate and some juice.

Due to a combination with a cruise ship, my group was bigger than the norm. Would have preferred a smaller group as the waiting time was quite long, but I got the activity at such a great deal that I was willing to put up with a longer wait! There were a couple of beginners in the group and they had no problems with the jumps/abseils.

As with most activities in New Zealand, you do have to pay for the photos. Would have also prefer a couple more jumps/slides and more/better photos, but overall a fantastic experience! You won't regret doing it!

Visited December 2012