“A wonderful insight into Aukland and the Maori history” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 104 Tours & Activities in Auckland
More attraction details
Owner description: Come on our personalized 3-Hour tour, showing you the highlights of what makes this city of Auckland so special. From the diverse eateries to the many Volcanoes, to the working farm,and beautiful gardens that we have. We can guide you to Auckland's best shopping, cuisine and sights. Along the way, you'll learn about the Maori culture and settler history. We will meet local people and share stories which provide you with an enriching experience. Small groups (16max and yes we even take 1) increases the quality of the tour, so you can ask as many questions as you like. We get plenty of time to stretch our legs with 4 stops along the way. Let us show you 'our Auckland'.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children
Toronto, Canada
“A wonderful insight into Aukland and the Maori history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

A most impressive tour, especially the urban Marae and learning the Maori history past and present. Paul was a great host and made me feel part of the tour, not just sitting and looking. It was great having a personal tour of the museum and zoo, learning things I would not have found out on my own. His offer to 'even do the tour for 1 person' is fantastic, I was that 1 person!
This is a tour - not to be missed!

Visited February 2010
Torutours, Manager at Toru - Day Tours, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Thank you for your review ,and a big thanks for the photo's. Great photography.

“Enriching”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

It was a memorable experience.we enjoyed the comfort of the natives and their culture and language We learned alot and would highly recommend this tour to travel agencies in Singapore.Paul is one the best tour guide I have ever come across .. Keep up your good serivces..

Torutours, Manager at Toru - Day Tours, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Thank you for your kind review. What is really important, especially when travelling abroad, is actually meeting the local people and spending time with them. After all it's a long way to New Zealand and i'm glad you felt comfortable. Thank you also for the recommend.
Singapore
“An awesome Immersion of Maori History and Culture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

Paul picked me up at the Copthorne on time at 10am, normally if a tour is just a single person, the tour operator might just give reasons that it doesn't make any economic sense and so on. However this wasn't the case for Paul, He asked me if i was alright with being the only guy on the tour. For sure i didn't mine because Paul made the whole experience extremely interactive and personalized.

Along the way to meet Anthony and his family in the Ma Rei (Hope i get the spelling right) was further exposed to Maori songs. I'm not a singing fan but there was no harm trying, only to find out that i need to sing a song at the welcome ceremony! Personally i don't want to offend anyone especially Maori who are a Warrior Race! So Sing away!!!

Reached the Ma rei, had the welcome ceremony, chatted and got to know more first hand from a proper Maori whose family didn't sing the "Treaty of Waitangi". Experience was truly priceless as we talked and exchanged ideas! Amazing experience... At some point I actually felt that i was a Pacific Islander being big and all!!

Off we went for lunch to other historical attractions in Auckland. Being a history and culture buff i truly enjoyed the historical values of the places that Paul brought me for the day from peaks of hills, to the sandy beaches and landmarks all having historical value. The whole tour was truly exciting, magnificent and Paul's knowledge of it's history and personal sharing added a personal touch to the whole tour!

On a whole, it didn't feel as if i was going out on a tour, but it felt that i was out with family! I would do the whole tour again if I am in Auckland!! Thanks Paul for leaving such a lasting impression with your hospitality and sincerity!

Visited November 2010
Torutours, Owner at Toru - Day Tours, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
This review optimizes why we do what we do.
Dalian, China
“Good,NZ,GoodTrip,Good People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Me and my wife Ada visited NZ during Oct last year, Toru tours were with us all time!
It's fantastic trip! Good price, good service quality and most importantly, good people with good heart. I would rate the company 12 out of 10 :)

Thank you, we will make sure to have you as our guide next time.

Will Yang

Visited October 2010
It's way overdue ,but thanks for your kind review. I'm really glad you felt we looked after you.
Regards
Paul.
Sydney, Australia
“I've learnt so much and had such fun doing it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Finding it by chance, this tour turned out to be one of the true highlights of our trip to New Zealand. Paul, our guide, is a caring, knowledgeable person. The "Urban Village" he's taken us to is a fantastic concept. We have learned more about Maori culture there, than all the rest of our holiday. It preserves and teaches Maori culture, while living in the 21st century. An unbelievably successful idea, one that should be trialled elsewhere as well. It allowed us to see the Maori people in their "real life" of today, while working at retaining their old, traditional language and crafts. The experience helped us form a respect for the Maori people, we could not have accessed elsewhere.
Paul is equally informative about the rest of Auckland and knows just where to take us to enjoy it. The lookouts, the museums, volcanos .... It was a fabulous day.

It is a tour I'd recommend for everyone visiting Auckland and I have mentioned it to our travel agent on our return.

We wish Toru Tours every success in the future. It is truly deserving of it.
I'll add photos later - on the wrong computer for it.

Visited March 2010
Torutours, Owner at Toru - Day Tours, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I really wanted to show you the authentic side of the culture, and I am pleased that you have been able to share that experience. Looking forward to the photo's.
Thanks also for advising your travel agent.
All the best.