“Wild Waitakere Day Trip: Most Incredible Day Ever” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Small group, personal, active day tours. Waitakere Ranges has been our family home for over a hundred years. Share with us the wild bush, wild black sand beaches, real kiwi kai(food) with real locals and get a sense of the history and culture which has help shape this beautiful place to what it is today.
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“Wild Waitakere Day Trip: Most Incredible Day Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 2 week trip to New Zealand in celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary. We spent a week in the Queenstown area and a week in the North Island. We saw many amazing things and did wonderful day trips, but this one was truly a standout. We did the Wild Waitakere day trip with Shane Hintz on one of our final days in the Auckland area. Shane picked us up bright and early and we joined just one other person for an experience we will never forget. Shane showed us beautiful black sand beachs, a breathtaking colony of gannets, a rare New Zealand robin, and other interesting native birds. He treated us to a "kiwi foot bath" as he called it---definitely the most unique thing I have ever done, but I won't spoil the surprise! We hiked to a waterfall through a lovely rain forest and had the best lunch ever (thanks to Shane's lovely wife) and we learned so much from this passionate kiwi and veteran world traveler. Do not pass up this opportunity to escape from the city and see the beauty of Waitakere. I was so sad when the day ended, but my photos and memories will hopefully last a lifetime.

Austria
“best day tour ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Although we already have seen a lot of beautiful places while our round-the-world-trip, we were speechless by the places Shane showed us. This tour is one of the best you can get! Shane was lilke an old friend, we almost didn't want to leave. And the lunch was just delicious. Do it, do it, do it!!!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
“a day in waitakere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I took the the one day tour with a guide it is a great tour that everyone should experience and they take you a little off the beaten path with a terrific explanation of the area and history of the land and the people. The waitakere tour is a must for all travelers who go to nz the views are spectacular you walk a bit but well worth it.

Austin
“Best day trip from Auckland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We returned a week ago from our trip to New Zealand. Upon arrival from LA, we immediately headed out on Shane's Wild Waitakere Tour. I can't recommend it highly enough! You will truly experience the beauty of the northern island on this tour. Shane is a genuinely friendly, well-informed guide who is a wealth of knowledge on the flora and fauna of his native country. I researched quite a bit on tripadvisor and other sites before booking this tour- not only was it unusually well reviewed, the day trips were also a great bargain. I went with three other girlfriends & we all rave about it. Shane's tour takes you to places where the big tour buses cannot go. You'll traipse through rainforests, along black sand beaches, swim in the cold waterfalls, and enjoy a delicious picnic lunch. Definitely book it.

Visited September 2012
Leice
“Highlight of my trip - amazing day out with very friendly and knowledgeable tour guide - brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I was in NZ for just two weeks and went out on a tour with Shane towards the end of my trip. It was a beautiful day out packed with stunning scenery and great adventures! We swam through a waterfall, went sandboarding, walked through streams, climbed big hills and rocks and learned all about the nature and history of the region. Lunch was delicious and the whole day was awesome. I've done quite a bit of travelling but don't think I've ever enjoyed a tour so much......

Visited October 2012