“A very disappointing slip in standards” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Auckland, New Zealand
“A very disappointing slip in standards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I am a Coco's fan and have been since it opened. So it pains me to write this review but last night I had one of the worst meals I've had for a long time. I came here with a group of friends and we knew we'd have to wait for a table. No problem as the bar is generally superb. In fact, we ended up not waiting that long. The atmosphere at Coco's was as buzzing as ever. The maitre d' was friendly and helpful despite the place heaving at the seams. The barmen were doing an exceptional job of attending to everyone's beverage requirements.

So, what was the problem? Quite simply, the food. It was not up to scratch. Perhaps the chef has changed or had the day off but something was amiss. Even the polenta fries were missing their usual kick of rosemary. The chicken parfait was delicious but liquid... The chicken saltimbocca was bland - lacking seasoning and was a real disappointment. The cavolo nero side dish was tough. The side dish of beans and pork was the tastiest thing we had. I would have been quite happy with a large bowl of that with some mash but as it was I was left disappointed. My fellow diners were foodies and not impressed. One had a steak that was literally cold so had to be sent back. To top it off and add insult to injury, my margarita was awful. I'm a margarita fan but this one was lacking lime and tasted really watery. So, what to do now? Do we give you another go Coco's? We'll have to ponder this one as there are lots of other fine eateries in Auckland and some of them take bookings... The saltimbocca deserved a 1 or below. The pork and beans dragged the review up to a 2

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
Wellington, New Zealand
“Deservedly popular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

There are times when you realise that those in the kitchen just know what they are doing and do it with verve. Excellent and interesting food right through the menu. The service is what it is ... serving the customer. Be warned that there is no booking and you may have to wait at the bar - but the beer's excellent so no big deal.

Visited May 2013
auckland new zealand
“Even mid week buzzes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Have heard about Coco's for ages, mostly very good and we were not disappointed by our first visit this Wednesday. Even on this mid week night we had a 1/2 hour wait, speeded up by the attentive owner hostess who noted one of the local eccentrics repeatedly eying up one of the attractive females in our group and bumped us up the wait list. Our group of 5 all rated our main courses first class, with the pasta of the day and pork belly definitely moreish. The sample collection dessert went down well between 2 of us but the chocolate and cherry pies didn't get above average reports. A real cross section of customers and good vibes with music that didn't drown the talk but added a good vibe. Some might be wary of the reputation of the area, but talking later to the owner she observed that things run smoothly based on closing Sunday/Monday which are the nights the weirdos come out of the woodwork!
Outdoor dining would be fine in warmer weather.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Fabulous place, great service, food and cool factor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Just came home after a fantastic dinner! Tuesday night, rain, thunder and lightening at 5:30pm and it was packed with no spare tables when we left. Someone reviewed that it would be a great place to take a date and I fully agree. Made for small groups or couples so don't plan a big group. I had the fish on a risotto and it was wonderful along with a non alcoholic cocktail for $40 so not really cheap but worth it for the food and groovy atmosphere. You can't book, but there is a bar. A nice cross section of people dining, younger and older people from a variety of backgrounds which helps to make you feel very relaxed and at home. Great decor and the staff dress up, very cool. You must go ;)

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Fantastic Service - a great local”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I have been here many times and its just such a great place to have a meal.
We love it!
The staff and other customers are interesting....its one of the few places in Auckland where it has a city vibe.
My only slight disappointment is that they don't change the menu more often.
A great place for Auckland - surprised its not higher in the ratings.

• Visited December 2012