“Great location for city centre and Airport Shuttle” 4 of 5 stars

You added K Road City Travelers Hostel to your Saves list
K Road City Travelers Hostel
146 Karangahape Road | PO Box 68884, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Great location for city centre and Airport Shuttle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

At the end of our stay in NZ we lodged 1 night in a 2 person bedroom. It was clean, small and shared bathroom. The location is great if you have to catch the bus to the Airport because it's only 1 minute walk from the bus stand. Also walking downtown takes you only about 15 minutes. Downstairs is a nice cafe. Paid about 46 euros for a 2 person bedroom.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I arrived in Auckland, tired and burdened with my overpacked backpack and luggage. I took the bus shuttle to K Road, got off at the right stop, climbed a steep pavement to the location (146 Karangahape Road, Newton, Auckland) and was not surprised to see a narrow door, leading up a steep staircase to a hole in the wall reception area. It was then that I realized I wasn't booked in for that day, though I had sent several confirmations on the booking. After much searching and confusion we realized that I had been booked in on 22 December, not 22 November. Now it was a misunderstanding true, but when they had no beds left, and the receptionist kept calling up one hostel after another in his futile efforts to secure a bed, and always responded that there was no bed left, I was getting exhausted. Then finally when he found a bed in a 10 bed room in a hostel which through my research I knew to definitely avoid, I booked a bed on my own, at YHA Auckland International, on my first try. I was certainly curious why he always was unsuccessful, when I got it right without trying much. The receptionist did allow me the internet code so that I could show him details of our communications where I explicitly spelt out which bed, overlooking which view, and which dates etc. They even had confirmed receipt of the details. He could not deny I had not booked after that. His friend came in and helped out after that. His friend was more experienced and clearer. They found my booking and realized whoever booked it got the month wrong. They weren't apologetic much. On a good note, I asked for a tour of the premises which he obliged. I saw the rooms, and they were spacious, clean and tidy. The TV was certainly next to the laundry machines. The computer room was next to the reception and was clean and simple. Most of the interiors were white so it did give that clean look and feel. However, if you look closely, the furnishings look a little tired though wear and tear is inevitable. I had to make my way to YHA International myself, lugging my bags, and it didn't help that there were 2 YHAs in the area, and I found the first, and was given vague directions to the other, which was down a steep hill. I was really angry by the time I finally found a bed. It didn't help that the K Road City Travelers hostel receptionists did not do much to help themselves out of a real bad situation. They were just looking at trying to push responsibility and were not really willing much to make good (Hey guys, I understand Mandarin, and had a good mind to scold you back in Mandarin. It isn't nice to converse in Mandarin when your 'English-speaking guest' who you have stranded is waiting for an answer. Which is why I had to show you our emails before you accepted that it was your fault.) The area on the other side is a little seedy and deserted, (like they did warn me in our emails,) but nothing to be afraid of. It was only one block removed at any rate. So yes, it is a nice place, but be very careful your booking is done for the right day, on their side.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Free wifi wasn't the strongest, but still nice. Free breakfast was bread and a couple spreads. Locations is ok, not far from the airbus stop, but a long hill walk from most coach bus services. The deck is good area to chill and meet people.

• Stayed February 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

As a lone traveller visiting Auckland for the first time this place was seriously great;
Airport bus drops off 5 min walk away.

Rooms nice and clean and beds seemed new, I think all rooms are 4 beds or less. Rooms have lockers with a padlock which was plus.

Free wifi great plus as quickly realised that getting wifi in auckland is difficult unless you're in the library or burger king! It did go slow at times but not really an issue- just tried again later!

Free breakfast excellent, something that I didnt find in any other hostel. such a small thing that saves remembering to buy your own or carrying it from place to place.

Manager Charles is awesome! So helpful and friendly as are all the staff I saw!

Generally such a good vibe; not too big but still plenty of friendly people. Also quiet enough to chill out when tired.

Didnt realise before booking that k road is aucklands red light district (apparently!), but having stayed a while I though it was perfectly ok out at night. Some of the bars around are pretty cool and it's literally next to queen street too, only 5-10mins from the centre.

I couldn't recommend this hostel enough .... I'll be back!!

• Stayed November 2013
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Best value in Auckland. Free hi-speed wifi, free DIY breakfast (bread, jam, butter, peanut butter, ham, coffee and tea), clean kitchen with good facilities, clean bathroom, friendly and helpful staff and plenty of leaflets at reception. Hop on Airbus (airport bus) and get down at stop no.1. Turn left right after you get down from the Airbus toward Langham Hotel. Then turn right and walk down the street, make a cross over Queen Street and voilà, the hostel is just at the opposite side of the road. Just a few mins walk from the bus stop. Many restaurant and bar nearby, city center just down the hill about 10-15mins walk. The entrance stairway was rather narrow. Tough time for those with big/heavy luggage. Room was somewhat spacious; we stayed in a room for 3 pax with comfy bed and pillow (1 queen size and 1 single bed). No TV in our room which is ok for us. Surprisingly no air con or ceiling fan in our room. When I ask the staff about fan or at least a table fan for us, she said the weather in Auckland is chilling and windy, she suggest me to leave the window open. I don’t know but I find it funny that the room does not have a fan although it is chilling or windy outside. When you leave your window open at night, it’s a bit noisy down the street with people accelerating their motorbikes racing each other and the ongoing On Off siren from the patrol car or maybe ambulance. But with the free wifi and free breakfast (you can’t find it in any Auckland hostel), its good value for money. Highly recommended for backpackers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Plus points with K Road City Travelers is the free wi-fi, free breakfast, clean bathrooms, free towel upon request and friendly and helpful staff. In terms of value, K Road City Travelers get five out of points. However, it did feel a little old, dark and pokey to me. It's not a bad location, but it was a bit noisy and night from people partying in nearby locations! I would stay here again for the plus points.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Despite the negatives I'm about to mention we did quite enjoy our time at K road, it has a decent enough location at the top of Queen St and the free wifi goes along way to making up for everything else.
Having said that, the walls are paper thin and the place was noisy all night. The kitchen was tiny, although we did manage to cook simple meals in it. The balcony was constantly used by smokers with the door open, so the whole place smelt of smoke. And finally it was quite hot whilst we were there and our room was boiling even with the window open.
It's not that I wouldn't recommend staying here, it's just that I expect you could probably find something a bit nicer...

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to K Road City Travelers Hostel? Share your experiences!