“More than disappointed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of That's Amore

That's Amore
Shop 2M, 1 Courthouse Lane, Auckland Cbd | Level 2 Metropolis Bldg, Auckland, New Zealand
+64 3020645
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“More than disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I have eaten here before and really enjoyed the pizzas on offer.

HOWEVER this time the experience was completely different. I ordered the bufala, but appeared to have been given a margherita. When I highlighted absence of buffalo mozzarrella from this order was met with complete negativity by the owner. I was questioned whether I was a buffalo mozzarrella expert and asked whether I was from Napoli. I am neither, but fail to see the relevance in my question. The photo of the pizza advertised ordered was NOTHING like the pizza I had received.

The staff appeared really uncomfortable as the owner shouted and became abusive. This is such as shame, as all I asked for was some buffalo mozzarella. I asked for the pizza to be packed for me to take away as I was being asked to pay for it but this was declined after a heated discusson. Eventually and reluctantly, the pizza was not paid for as a compromise.

Extremely dissapointed and would not recommend this establishment

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Italy
“Real, mouthwatering Neapolitan pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

As an ex-resident of Italy, I miss Italian pizza. Alessandro and his restaurant That's Amore have been my salvation!

Extensive menu of authentic Italian pizzas. You won't find thick bases or cheddar on a pizza here. This is the real deal. My fave is the Bufala. Truly divine.

The pizzeria is small and fun rather than glamorous. It's off High Street, but a little hard to see, because it's at the base of an hotel tower, but at the back rather than the side which faces the square. Don't let that stop you. It's worth finding.

Pizzas are a normal ~$18-$26 for dinner plate size - which is actually very good value for the quality of the ingredients compared to the likes of Hell, etc.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Auckland, New Zealand
“Perfect dough, divine pizza !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

In the quest for the best pizza, I'm always trying new places, and I must admit I'm never satisfied...
So I tried That's Amore pizza, and now, I'm totally addict !

I tried the Capricciosa pizza, with artichokes, delicious salami, capers, ham, mozzarella.... A combination to die for !
All the ingredients are really fresh and the dough is simply perfect, white, crispy, light and so tasty. You can choose between pizzas (43 different choice), calzone, salads, gnocchi, gelati....
We had some wine by the glass, a traditional red Lambrusco (slightly fizzy, low-alcohol wine) which pairs so well with the pizza. You can choose by the glass, a half bottle or a bottle.

For desert I ordered the homemade Tiramisu... Yuuuuuuuummmy. Served in a glass. So freshly made, that the Savoiardi biscuits were still crispy on the sugar side ! Very light, perfect for a desert. There was not cacao powder on the top but chocolate powder. This tiramisu was perfect, but I would just love it with more Marsala liquor !

The owners are real italian guys, from Napoli, in the south of Italy (where they do the best pizza in the world). You can hear them talking italian, I have no idea what there were talking about, but it give to the place a nice exotic atmosphere :)

That's Amore is by far my favorite pizza in Auckland. We are lucky to have such an authentic place in Auckland, where you can enjoy fresh tasty pizzas !
Grazie, grazie!!

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Waikato New Zealand
“not a good pizza!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

a very small place....very bad service and the pizza was the greatest disappointment because the it was tough(maybe old dough?), mozzarella cheese was watery and i paid $26 for a porcini pizza with some miserable bits of chewy mushrooms(were they?) out of a can that tasted like anything but porcini!!!
Go somewhere else!

Visited March 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
“Real Deal outside of Naples”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

If I'm eating Pizza in Auckland I will only go to That's Amore. It's located at the bottom of the Metropolis Hotel so you enter off Courthouse Lane - it can be a bit tricky to find but that is part of the charm. Alessandro is the perfect host and chef. You can also get a glass of wine or a beer and the Tiramisu is the real thing. I love the Romana pizza with extra olives and anchovies. Always left overs to take home for the next day. Eat in or make it a picnic in nearby Albert Park.

• Visited December 2011