“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Gladstone, Australia
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had read some negative reviews and was a bit apprehensive about booking our party of 4 into a two bedroom apartment here but I thought the rate we offered at the time was too good to refuse for a CBD location. I contacted the hotel to ask about parking and they advised we could park for $25 per night. When I asked if there were any other options nearby they gave me the details of Tournament Parking which has a number of parking lots within very close distance. I appreciated the information and used it to book our car in for $56 for 4 nights.

Upon arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant young lady. She was a bit surprised when I asked to inspect the room before signing in but after reading some of the reviews I felt this was necessary. She rang the housekeeper who confirmed the room had been cleaned and she gave me the key. The apartment was quite modern and showed some wear and tear but nothing drastic in my opinion. The bedrooms were quite large and everything looked clean and neat. A bonus...... a balcony off the lounge/dining at the front and a large balcony at the back adjoining our bedrooms. A continental breakfast was included which consisted of a banana, cake, protein bar and yoghurt which we thought was sufficient and nutritionally balanced. We were also given complimentary wi-fi - another bonus. The wi-fi was a bit dodgy in the mornings but I guess many people were trying to access it, so I just had to wait until space became available.

We rang reception a few times about a few things (ie no dishwasher detergent, internet problems, and we needed some assistance with the operation of the washing machine) and within minutes someone was knocking on our door to assist. We were impressed with the service at this hotel.

All in all we thought we received extremely good value at this hotel and the location was great - just off Queen Street. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
NilayJani, Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for a wonderful review. It is great to see such positive reviews of our staff and levels of service coming through as we have been working hard in this area. We hope you can take advantage of this the next time you stay with us. Thank you for choosing to stay at Bianco Off Queen, Auckland and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Nilay Jani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Enjoyed a few nights here, close to the centre of Auckland. Reasonable rates for a large apartment with nice views from the top floors. Easy access to some nice restaurants, the airport shuttle bus and Queen St. Wifi wasnt so good, sometimes dropping out and the corridors show a bit of wear and tear, but the beds where comfortable, and good space compared to the average hotel room

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
NilayJani, Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It is great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our central location and explored the City. We appreciate your feedback, it will assist us in improving our services for future guests. Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Warm regards,

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

average, room was large enough and clean with nice furniture, really good kitchenette
lifts are very small and it's a long way up a steep fire exit if like me you are a bit claustrophobic!
parking was a pain as nowhere to leave your car while you checked in before you had access to the underground car park, had to cross your fingers that there was no queue and abandon it in a tow away zone.
no real problems but not somewhere i'd hurry to recommend

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NilayJani, Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am happy that you enjoyed the facility and cleanliness of your room. We appreciate your feedback; it will assist us in improving our services for future guests.

I have addressed your concerns with relevant department heads; will follow up personally to understand what we can do better as a property.

Please stay in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter so we can provide you with our best rates for your return! !

Kind regards

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

After having read other reviews about this hotel I emailed the hotel twice to request a room higher up in the property. No reply was forthcoming from either of my emails. My fault, I should have cancelled! On checking-in I mentioned to the staff member about my emails. He didn't respond but said that he had upgraded me to a 2 bedroomed apartment on the 4TH FLOOR..!
Dreadful room, I probably could have lived with the view of the air-conditioning units adjacent to this property and the fact that I could see directly into the next hotel, and also could have shut
my eyes to the badly dented fridge, the noisy extracter fan...but what a disgusting room...the carpet was brown and was badly stained, the lounge (well you couldn't really call it a lounge, as it was so small) had a well-worn setee and a little television that had interference and we could not get some channels. At least 2 of the channels we could get the picture, albeit very poor quality, but no sound. After the first night I went to the desk to complain. The young girl was lovely and said she would pass my concerns to the manager.....Waste of time....no contact
from him about my concerns. On checking out, the same young girl asked me if I enjoyed my stay and of course I told her that I did not enjoy my stay and that she was the person I spoke to the day before about how unhappy I was....I have waited this long before sending in this review as I did phone when I got home and spoke to the manager of Bianco...he told me that he had come from The Quadrant Hotel and that Bianco had lost all their emails.....blah blah...blah....he said he would get in touch with me...yeah right !.....This company (V.R. Group) owns about 7 hotels in the Auckland area.........I will certainly not be staying in any one of them in the future.....

Room Tip: Forget it !.....they just wont listen to you
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NilayJani, Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience during your last stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. I am thankful that you have brought some serious issues to my attention that i can now take a proactive approach in fixing.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my concerns so other readers are not mis-informed about our property.

The next time that you visit Auckland, I do hope you will honor us a return visit to our hotel and allow us the opportunity to show you the improvements we have made by delivering the usual high standards that you deserve and should rightfully expect.

I understand this website is designed to post feedback about your stay to help others to make a decision. I hope my response to your feedback will help others.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Serviced apartment at the university end of Queen Street. Tucked a block back from Queen St, it is close to some good restaurants and small supermarkets. Let down by cheap furniture in the living area and lack of air-conditioning.

Pluses
Spacious.
Firm matress.
Wifi in room (drops out)
Balcony.
Windows that open.
Washer and dryer in bathroom.
Oven, hob and microwave in kitchen.
Small supermarkets and restaurants metres away.
One block from Queen St and a short walk from K Road.
Fans and heater.

Minuses
No air-conditioning.
Uncomfortable sofa.
Cheap furnishings.
Odd included breakfast items: cake, muesli bar, banana, yoghurt, individual serve of butter.
Erratic housekeeping: tea towel appeared after several days, no washing up cloth, shower gel not replaced but extra shampoo left.
Tiny TVs (one each in lounge and bedroom).
Noisy at night, especially if windows are open.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. There are a number of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address.

We hope to see you back in the near future, thank you for your support.

Kind regards

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We have just stayed for two nights in Bianco off queen and would say it is a pretty mixed bag. The location is great for its proximity to Auckland centre but the area is also a little seedy too. The apartment block is used mainly by students due to it being next to the university. Our double apartment on the fifth floor was really well laid out and, on the face of it, looked clean and well appointed. There was, however, a very strong smell off curried food which had seemingly permeated every part of the apartment. Which wasn't that bad really. What was totally unacceptable was the infestation of cockroaches. They were crawling everywhere and drove us mad. Also that one of the beds had been dressed in sheets and covers which absolutely stunk of mildew.
What a shame that basic hygiene is letting down a place that could be much better. I couldn't recommend this place to a family or anyone who is looking for a plush, four star experience. But if you've already travelled a bit and can stand a bit of "roughing it" and if you can get it cheap enough, then maybe this is the place for you. Although I have travelled extensively and probably would not stay here again. There must be lots of far better accomodation in Auckland.

• Stayed February 2013
NilayJani, Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion and giving us thereby useful feedback.

I was very concerned that your recent stay was not up to expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for some disappointing aspects of your stay. Clearly, the experiences you have encountered are not at all the kind of fine service we strive to provide all our guests. Unfortunately we have let you down and for this I am very sorry.

I would like to mention one thing; Bianco off Queen has a comprehensive bug prevention program where Bi-Monthly room inspections designed for prevention and risk are held by a top independent company in Auckland. I will certainly be following up with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure that this is not a situation which arises again.

Please contact me at boq.fom@vrhotels.co.nz if you would like to discuss it further and if I could make your stay in Auckland next time as you deserve and should rightfully expect.

Take care and safe travels, again I am apologetic for your stay at our property.

Hamilton, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Never, never leave your car parked unattended oposite the Hotel. You dont know it at the time but there is no hotel parking on the street & this seems an obvious "unloading bay" upon checking into the hotel. It seems there are "vulchers' watching you park there & as soon as you walk into the Hotel they clamp you, an instant $190 de-clamping fee. Very unreasonable as before you have checked in, you can not park in the Hotels car park so where do you park to unload? Room rate for 4 singles in a 2 bedroom unit was reasonable, $200, however whilst modern, the rooms are tired & needed some TLC. Their cleaning standard is not particularly good either, old crumbled biscuits on the carpet beside the coffee table, Air Con filter so blocked very little air came out of the unit. Reasonably handy location but not really downtown Auckland, more upper Queen St Auckland.

Room Tip: Best suited for those with no vehicle.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
NilayJani, Manager at Bianco off Queen, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies for some disappointing aspects of your stay. The issues that you brought to our attention are important to us and are being addressed and we are committed to make adjustments and take the necessary measures to prevent these issues from happening to future guests. I would love for you to contact me directly at boq.fom@vrhotels.co.nz as there a number of issues you have raised in your review that are a real concern to me. We hope to see you back in the near future, thank you for your support.

Take care and safe travels back to Hamilton.

Nilay Jani

Been to Bianco off Queen? Share your experiences!