“Came here for a holiday, needed another after our stay!!” 2 of 5 stars

Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   40 Beach Road, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #9 of 76 hotels in Auckland
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Came here for a holiday, needed another after our stay!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week during our holiday, reception staff are like statues and do not offer any help. On the seventh floor of the building was our room, equipped with a mini laundry and kitchenette however there were no simple essentials in the kitchen like a chopping board or even a bottle opener..

I was kept up every night by young teen groups hanging around the bottom floor outside screaming and drinking, I could hear it crystal clear from the seventh floor and I rang reception three times in one night when it was happening and they did nothing. I was visibly tired the next morning and mentioned why to the guy at reception, I was told this is simply something that happens all the time and they did nothing about it..great customer service!

I was also working for two days during our stay and did not get to sleep on those nights either, we actually looked into getting earlier flights to get away from this hotel and fly back home, because of this experience I do not wish to return to auckland again to re experience not sleeping for a week and paying a hotel to do so, what a waste of money and so disappointed in their service

• Stayed December 2012

677 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

One of the 0nly accommodationI've ever stayed at where the room was actually better than itsphotos. We had a 2BR suite with very well-equipped kitchen, and good bathroom including washer/dryer (washing powder supplied). Flatscreen TV in living room and another in the bedroom. Same with CD/clock-radio. I booked it via an online discounter for NZ$130/night (based on extended stay option ) which was incredible good value. I requested a room high in thehotel and that's what I got . I also e-mailed on the day of my arrival requesting early check-in if possible . There was NO noise from other units or the street, . nice fancy lobby but .There is a bice breakfast restaurant and there are plenty of restaurants/cafes only a few steps away; the location is right near everything in downtown Auckland water front. Housekeeping staff very friendly and efficient too. the Internet connection was very quick at very good vale for money One of the nicest places I've ever stayed at NZ

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

On booking the apartment, I requested an extra rollaway (as the deal I got was for 2 queen rooms), at reception on checking in they informed us the rollaway would be in the room - it wasn't. I had to ask several times for it before it was delivered (15 yr old desparately needed a sleep). The main room had its own wall mounted telly, wardrobe & only 1 side table, it was quite small. The other room also had a queen bed, a wardrobe and no other furniture (lamps or bedside tables) and there was no room for the rollaway in there so that had to be placed in the lounge dining area. The bathroom was fine with laundry facilities. The kitchen was equipped with basic kitchen cockery and a dishdrawer. There was only 3 dining chairs (despite requesting an extra stool/chair, reception said no can do). We managed with bringing an unweildy balcony chair in so we could eat together on Christmas day. We left a plastic shopping bag of groceries near the kitchen bin (it was very obviously tins, packets of unopened rice/pasta, etc) and the cleaning staff disposed of it (???). After enquiring with management, we were compensated with complimentary parking (which is $18 per day in next door building).
Recommend for short stays and but not for families (unless correct bedding configuration is available). It is a new. clean modern place but not particularly close to anything, however supermarket, cafes, Britomart, shops all walkable within 5-15 mins. Really close to the Stadium off course.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed for one night for a concert event at Vector Arena. Location is ideal - the hotel is literally a two minute walk to the arena. Was such an easy walk back afterwards! It is also an easy walk to the new Britomart area and all central shopping.

We received excellent service from all staff who were very friendly and helpful.

Our apartment with two bedrooms, was very clean and tidy. The smaller room is separated by a sliding door from the living area.The apartment kitchen was very well equipped and there is a large Countdown supermarket nearby. All you could need really.

We travelled with a baby and had requested a travel cot, and the only surprise I had was being charged $15 for this. Although many hotels say there may be a small fee for a cot we have never actually been charged before.

Parking is well priced and convenient with the car-park building directly behind the hotel. We could see our car from our room.

I would happily recommend this hotel to friends and family staying in central Auckland.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed just one night for a concert at the Vector Arena and booked through Wotif.com. The check in was simple and efficient, if not just a little impersonal. The room was immaculate and well presented. We chose the Stadium apartments for its close proximity to the arena, and were not disappointed, was remarkably close. The little Vietnamese restaurant was refreshingly well priced and delicious food with good selection. As we were there for only one night, we didn't get to check out the Kitchen facilities, but noted that a large countdown supermarket was located near by. Only issue I would mention is that there is no aircon located in the bedroom, and opening a window invited a lot of noise. As we were staying during summer, this was probably not ideal - and if we had stayed another night, we would have asked the hotel to provide a better solution.
Overall, Great location in the centre of Auckland.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I traveled for 12 days in Australia and needed a place to do laundry before starting 12 days in NZ. I stayed at the Waldorf Stadium for only one night, but it fulfilled my needs.

The hotel is typical apartment-style, with a living room/kitchen, a bedroom, and a bathroom with laundry facilities. I believe it is one of their newer properties, and it appeared to be quite clean.

Living room: The couches are very low to the ground and hard to get up from, and also itchy. The tv seems pretty small by today's standards, but got a nice variety of channels
Kitchen: The kitchen facilities were fine, and have everything you would need to cook small meals.

Bathroom/laundry: The laundry does a nice job, and they provide you with 2 packets of detergent. I actually brought my own, so did not need theirs. I am not sure if they would charge if you needed more detergent.

Bedroom: The bed was actually comfortable, and they have a clock radio/alarm.

Noise: I was on the 5th floor and was a little worried about street noise, but it ended up not being too much of a problem since I had the ac unit's fan on. (The ac worked nicely to cool off the room, by the way.) I will note that I specifically asked for a quiet room when I made the reservation, but that request was not honored.

Area: not much of interest in the immediate area, but a couple of little restaurants and groceries nearby to pick up items/meals.

Service: In addition to not honoring my request for a quiet room location, they also refused to extend my check-out by an hour (regular time is 10am). I thought that was ridiculous, and poor customer service. But, again, I was only there for a night, and the laundry in the room was my main goal, and met my needs.

Overall, a good option for what I needed, but not a place I would stay for a week since it was pretty pricey ($180/nt) for a bare-bones property with iffy-service.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My company arranged my stay at this hotel for a few months whilst I was in Auckland for work. The lobby/reception area constantly smells like fertiliser. The staff are a mixed bag, I've come to know their ways after staying there a few months. (Not trying to be sexist) but the female reception staff are much conscientious than the boys. Friendliness and service is lacking. There seems to be a lot of confusion around that whole reception area as well.

The rooms. Quite new and clean. I stayed in the one bedder and it was spacious enough with a separate bedroom and bathroom. The kitchenette was well stocked with pots/pans/utensils Bathrooms were clean, functional and new enough.

No direct car park access. The car parking is across the road in the same block about a 1minute walk.

WiFi is appalling. No reception 80% of the time....very frustrating. Internet via cable is around $20 per week for 2GB of data.

Location of the hotel is relatively close to the Britomart nightlife scene and about 15mins walk to the Viaduct. It's just opposite of Vector Arena and very close to Countdown (supermarket).

Keep your expectations to around a 3.5 star level and you won't be disappointed...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel? Share your experiences!