“Family stay over Christmas” 3 of 5 stars

Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   40 Beach Road, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #9 of 76 Hotels in Auckland
Wellington
“Family stay over Christmas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

On booking the apartment, I requested an extra rollaway (as the deal I got was for 2 queen rooms), at reception on checking in they informed us the rollaway would be in the room - it wasn't. I had to ask several times for it before it was delivered (15 yr old desparately needed a sleep). The main room had its own wall mounted telly, wardrobe & only 1 side table, it was quite small. The other room also had a queen bed, a wardrobe and no other furniture (lamps or bedside tables) and there was no room for the rollaway in there so that had to be placed in the lounge dining area. The bathroom was fine with laundry facilities. The kitchen was equipped with basic kitchen cockery and a dishdrawer. There was only 3 dining chairs (despite requesting an extra stool/chair, reception said no can do). We managed with bringing an unweildy balcony chair in so we could eat together on Christmas day. We left a plastic shopping bag of groceries near the kitchen bin (it was very obviously tins, packets of unopened rice/pasta, etc) and the cleaning staff disposed of it (???). After enquiring with management, we were compensated with complimentary parking (which is $18 per day in next door building).
Recommend for short stays and but not for families (unless correct bedding configuration is available). It is a new. clean modern place but not particularly close to anything, however supermarket, cafes, Britomart, shops all walkable within 5-15 mins. Really close to the Stadium off course.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed for one night for a concert event at Vector Arena. Location is ideal - the hotel is literally a two minute walk to the arena. Was such an easy walk back afterwards! It is also an easy walk to the new Britomart area and all central shopping.

We received excellent service from all staff who were very friendly and helpful.

Our apartment with two bedrooms, was very clean and tidy. The smaller room is separated by a sliding door from the living area.The apartment kitchen was very well equipped and there is a large Countdown supermarket nearby. All you could need really.

We travelled with a baby and had requested a travel cot, and the only surprise I had was being charged $15 for this. Although many hotels say there may be a small fee for a cot we have never actually been charged before.

Parking is well priced and convenient with the car-park building directly behind the hotel. We could see our car from our room.

I would happily recommend this hotel to friends and family staying in central Auckland.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed just one night for a concert at the Vector Arena and booked through Wotif.com. The check in was simple and efficient, if not just a little impersonal. The room was immaculate and well presented. We chose the Stadium apartments for its close proximity to the arena, and were not disappointed, was remarkably close. The little Vietnamese restaurant was refreshingly well priced and delicious food with good selection. As we were there for only one night, we didn't get to check out the Kitchen facilities, but noted that a large countdown supermarket was located near by. Only issue I would mention is that there is no aircon located in the bedroom, and opening a window invited a lot of noise. As we were staying during summer, this was probably not ideal - and if we had stayed another night, we would have asked the hotel to provide a better solution.
Overall, Great location in the centre of Auckland.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I traveled for 12 days in Australia and needed a place to do laundry before starting 12 days in NZ. I stayed at the Waldorf Stadium for only one night, but it fulfilled my needs.

The hotel is typical apartment-style, with a living room/kitchen, a bedroom, and a bathroom with laundry facilities. I believe it is one of their newer properties, and it appeared to be quite clean.

Living room: The couches are very low to the ground and hard to get up from, and also itchy. The tv seems pretty small by today's standards, but got a nice variety of channels
Kitchen: The kitchen facilities were fine, and have everything you would need to cook small meals.

Bathroom/laundry: The laundry does a nice job, and they provide you with 2 packets of detergent. I actually brought my own, so did not need theirs. I am not sure if they would charge if you needed more detergent.

Bedroom: The bed was actually comfortable, and they have a clock radio/alarm.

Noise: I was on the 5th floor and was a little worried about street noise, but it ended up not being too much of a problem since I had the ac unit's fan on. (The ac worked nicely to cool off the room, by the way.) I will note that I specifically asked for a quiet room when I made the reservation, but that request was not honored.

Area: not much of interest in the immediate area, but a couple of little restaurants and groceries nearby to pick up items/meals.

Service: In addition to not honoring my request for a quiet room location, they also refused to extend my check-out by an hour (regular time is 10am). I thought that was ridiculous, and poor customer service. But, again, I was only there for a night, and the laundry in the room was my main goal, and met my needs.

Overall, a good option for what I needed, but not a place I would stay for a week since it was pretty pricey ($180/nt) for a bare-bones property with iffy-service.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My company arranged my stay at this hotel for a few months whilst I was in Auckland for work. The lobby/reception area constantly smells like fertiliser. The staff are a mixed bag, I've come to know their ways after staying there a few months. (Not trying to be sexist) but the female reception staff are much conscientious than the boys. Friendliness and service is lacking. There seems to be a lot of confusion around that whole reception area as well.

The rooms. Quite new and clean. I stayed in the one bedder and it was spacious enough with a separate bedroom and bathroom. The kitchenette was well stocked with pots/pans/utensils Bathrooms were clean, functional and new enough.

No direct car park access. The car parking is across the road in the same block about a 1minute walk.

WiFi is appalling. No reception 80% of the time....very frustrating. Internet via cable is around $20 per week for 2GB of data.

Location of the hotel is relatively close to the Britomart nightlife scene and about 15mins walk to the Viaduct. It's just opposite of Vector Arena and very close to Countdown (supermarket).

Keep your expectations to around a 3.5 star level and you won't be disappointed...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Wangaratta, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed for three nights and were very pleased with most aspects of our stay. The location was close to restaurants, the waterfront and the Countdown supermarket and the rooms were very well appointed. We couldn't hear other guests although at times the sound of the lift could be heard in the bedrooms. There was a very strong spicy cooking smell in the apartment which I initially thought was from the Vietnamese restaurant which is on the corner of the hotel. However as this was closed over the summer break I suspect it was the cooking of a previous guest. We were able to open the doors to the balcony which helped. The second bedroom was also very small and almost a little claustrophobic.
Overall we were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night before heading off to the Coromandels on the ferry. When we arrived I was a bit disappointed with the outside of the building but thought, oh well, as long as it's clean. When we got inside I thought we had paid in advance but we hadn't and for some reason our credit card wasn't accepted. The young lady on reception was incredibly helpful and checked us in before we had been for cash from around the corner with no problems at all. The room was excellent, very spacious and modern. It was lovely to have a balcony and as we were on the top floor we could (just) see the harbour sparkling in the distance. There was everything you could possibly need in the apartment, including a washing machine, dryer, iron etc. and if you had been travelling a while I imagine this would be a great stop to do laundry and regroup. I would have no problem recommending this apartment and would stay there again. It is about 10-15 minutes walk to the ferry terminal so very handy for that too.

Room Tip: Try to get 10th floor at the back of the building, although you overlook the car park you can see th...