“Got a discount deal - and was very pleasantly suprised” 5 of 5 stars

You added Waldorf Tetra Serviced Apartments to your Saves list
Waldorf Tetra Serviced Apartments
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   85 Wakefield Street, Auckland 1001, New Zealand   |
Blenheim, NZ
“Got a discount deal - and was very pleasantly suprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I needed a room in central Auckland for a night, and looking through the discount websites found a great deal at the Tetra Waldorf for only $80. I must admit i was bit concerned at how bad it was going to be.

My concerns were all totally unfounded; friendly staff, easy check-in, a very new room, clean, good heating, comfortable bed (it was only a queen but fine for just me) and good water pressure in the shower - everything I could have ever expected.

I was on the ground floor with a veiw onto an alley but that's not why I was staying there.

The only downer was the noise from other rooms doors closing up and down the hallway, but it was very minor compared to all the pluses.

I even made it down to the 'gym' the next morning - some free weights, a weight machine and a tread mill, nothing spectacular but fine to burn off some energy.

It's central to Queen St, the University and the city centre.

I'll definitely be looking for another cheap deal, and will be back to stay next time

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Waldorf_APTS_NZ, Manager at Waldorf Tetra Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Andye 10000,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are glad that you are able take advatange of our central location, great rooms, great price.

We look forward to meeting you in near future. Please feel free to pass our contact details to your friends or colleagues. Once again thank you for your wonderfurl review.

Kind regards

225 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed in April for over 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom apartment on 12th floor, south facing so no problem with sun making the rooms too warm. The website doesn't mention air con but there was a floor standing fan. We were told it was warmer than usual for April but the windows and balcony sliding door would keep the place cooler if needed. Hum of traffic noise could be heard but not enough to disturb us.

Whole apartment very clean, beds very comfortable, plenty of pillows and towels. Serviced once a week which suited us instead of having housekeeping coming in every day. No problem taking our own rubbish downstairs as was washing our own clothes in the laundry. Hairdryer in one bedroom with iron and ironing board [could do with more padding] Enough wardrobe/drawer space.

Staff and management very helpful and friendly.

We thought about hiring a car and were told it was 20NZD for 24 hours, not per night as others mention. So it could be better value for 24 hours than some other places - plenty of parking nearby to choose from.

We were visiting family, who we could visit easily by bus from the bus stop opposite apartments. Location very good for visiting Auckland sights - as other reviews mentioned Wakefield Street is quite steep so you're glad of the bus after a day's sightseeing. The fare up the hill is cheap, or look on Auckland Transport website about a HOP card. The red City Link bus stops on 'K' Road not too far to walk back from via Symonds Street.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Waldorf_APTS_NZ, Manager at Waldorf Tetra Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Val B,

Thank you for your wonderful reveiw . Any reveiw we receive helps to make us better.Our team prides itself in its ability to exceed the expectations of our guests and so it is always very encouraging to learn when they do.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

First things first there parking they offer for $20 a night is across the road (not attached to building) then to find out another 30seconds down the road is underground parking for $6 a night-not very pleased!
We stayed in 2 different rooms so the first room had hair in the shower, tea and coffee not refilled, dirty pots and pans, utensil draw needed at the least a wipe out ,skirting boards were filthy and found a computer mouse under the bed so perhaps cleaners are not checking under them?? Also a very dark and gloomy room and one of the bedside lamps had no where to be plugged in-pointless!
2nd night 2nd room there was mould on the bedroom wall in the corner, can't miss it!, also there is paint coming off the ceiling in the bathroom and beginning to mould and once again skirting boards were filthy. These are reasonably simple things to clean/fix and is a real shame that it looks as though it just comes down to pure laziness. Personally we won't stay ever again.

• Stayed April 2013
Waldorf_APTS_NZ, Manager at Waldorf Tetra Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Mike M,

Thank you for your comment. Guest feedback is very important to us and all comments, both positive and negative, are taken very seriously.

I appreciate your comments about the standard of our housekeeping and this is a major concern for us. You can see by our other reviews that we take great pride in our housekeeping standards. I have addressed your concerns with our Executive House Keeper and will follow up personally to understand what went wrong and what we can do to make it better.

We are also currently invistagating about the car park price which you have told us as we were under the impression that we are providing cheap carparking prices to our guest.

It was disappointing to learn of your poor experience with us. We love to have you back so that we can prove you that this is not our operating standard.

Please accept my sincere apologies for some disappointing aspects of your stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

It's a good place. I stayed there for three and a half months while working at the university. Great location.
Only disadvantage: If you stay "long term" you have to deal with the electricity company yourself, pay for carpet cleaning in the end, buy a network cable pay for anything that breaks, like light bulbs etc. so then it's not like staying in an appartment hotel any more but more like in your own flat. So you might find a better flat for less money if you stay in Auckland for a long term.
For a three months stay with the need to organize everything in advance to the trip, the reception is helpful and I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Spilario,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

If you sign a long term lease power & other things are not inculded as you are paying a low price but we alaways try to provide best services to our guests.

I look forward to meeting you in near future. Thank you for your wonderful review.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed for 5 days in room G03. Situated one level below reception. Close to lifts. It is a studio room. Very small so you dont want to be in it all day. No views, one small window facing another building. No one can see in... I think. It felt a bit dungeony... It cost me 123.00 a night. I have paid 95.00 a night for a bigger room at other appartments with parking in Auckland central but without a kitchen. The apparment is central and that is the key...if you need inner city access.

When I booked it said pay later.... when I arrived the manager wanted me to pay full price then and there. When I opted to leave he changed his mind. He asked for part payment, so I gave $200. That was my spending and contingency money for the week so I felt very vunerable. I have gone back to check my booking conditions and it did say I could pay later and that is what attracted me to book. I guess he looked at me and thought I was a risk. However he was polite and accomodating in the end.

The manager also said if I booked online he couldnt change it. I'd have to go back online and cancel my booking. When asked he said he didnt have internet access. I would have to go and find a place with the internet. Im never going to book online again. You enter into a contract.

Ok, in the room. When you cook... turn on the cooking vent. I burnt my toast and set the alarm off. It didnt take much to set it off. DONT OPEN YOUR ROOM DOOR TO LET THE SMOKE OUT! They dont service your room automatically everyday so, if you want someone to clean, organise it. I didnt mind... cleaners work hard enough and if I can make it easier and do it myself, I will. Pillows, sheets, bedding etc are beautifully clean. Oh and I needed a fan, the room is hot because its small and there is not enough free flowing air to circulate. Laundry room is scarey (thats just me) but awesome machines. Very accessable.

I paid for my entire stay $615 for 5 days, I didnt do a runner. Staff are kind and accomodating. If I am allowed to stay there again after this review, im going for a LARGER ROOM with a BALCONY for air and a VIEW for happiness.

Room Tip: Dont book online if you can help it, book directly with the hotel. Taxi's are on time and excel...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Kiwionatrip,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please accept my apologies and I have double check your booking confirmation which we have recived and it was saying pay on arrival I think their must be a printing mistake in our booking confirmation.

If you book through diffrent websites you need to cancel your booking through them I know this a hassle but we cant do anything in this only thing I can suggest you when your booking next time please book through our website so that its teasy to modify your booking and you will get the best rate for your stay.

Once again please accept my apologies for your disappointing stay.. I look forward to meeting you in near future.

Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The studio room was perfect for travellers who like a clean, modern, comfortable room but not too worried about space. It was well equipped with a small studio kitchenette including a double hotplate, microwave, toaster, kettle and kitchen sink. Also a decent sized desk with access to wifi at a daily charge of $5 per day which I felt was reasonable.

The Bed was very comfortable, not too hard, not too soft and 4 pillows provided.

The apartments whilst not right in the CBD are only really approx 15 - 20 minutes walk and 3 - 5 minutes by bus to Harbourside and the Britomart precinct which is where the main harbourside shopping and transport areas are. There is a bustop only 2 minutes walk away which was approx. $1.90 from memory for trips to local areas.

The apartments are very close to Auckland University, Art Gallery, Public Library(all within 2 - 5 minutes) and many restaurants. At the bottom of the hill (approx 5 minutes walk) access to Queen Street shops also, so very close to other shopping.

The staff were exceptional and very friendly, helpful and professional, they were able to advise on transport, eating out.

I also hired a car during my stay for one day and I found that parking the car in the Wilson carpark just on the corner of the block immediately behind the apartment(corner of Symonds and Airedale Street) for just $8 for overnight(till 8am) was better value than paying the apartment parking fee for just one night, as I was using the car during the day and only needed to park for the night. There may also be street parking available but a little harder to get especially during the day given that it is so close to the university and other colleges, so it is also nice to know that you can access the apartment parking (at a fee of $20 per night) which is more secure if required.

There is also a convenience store just out the front doors and to the immediate right and a cafe available which serves breakfast.

All in all, my stay was very comfortable and I would not hesitate to return to Tetra Waldorf as it was comfortable and good value for money.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are usually cheaper especially if you book them in advance but do not mind no...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Waldorf_APTS_NZ, Manager at Waldorf Tetra Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Nayjoy,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. A number of our guests also commented on the comfort of our beds. We are glad that you are able take advatange of our central location, great rooms, great price.I am pleased that our staff were able to help you with dining and transport requirements.

We would love to have you back in near future. Please feel free to pass our contact details to your friends or colleagues. Once again thank you for your wonderfurl review.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

First experience at this hotel was great when we were welcomed at the reception area. .breakfast was a great value at the near by coffee shop. . Stayed in the 8 levels in a nice clean 1 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment., good and cheap internet service.Quite spacious accommodation for the three of us.The location is great-central and near most of the locations and Queen Street. Not 5 star but very good value for money-Recommended

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Badar8989,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review. We agree with you our 1 bedroom aprtments with 2 bathrooms are quite spacious and also we are in close walking distance to many attractions.

We look foraward to welcoming you in near future and please feel free to pass our deatils to your friends and family.Once again thank you for your reveiw.

Ajit Gill

Been to Waldorf Tetra Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!