“<1* - AWFUL!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Lantana Lodge Backpackers

Lantana Lodge Backpackers
You added Lantana Lodge Backpackers to your Saves list
Lantana Lodge Backpackers
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   60 St Georges Bay Rd. | Parnell, Auckland, New Zealand   |
Brighton, United Kingdom
“<1* - AWFUL!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I do not know where to start! We arrived to a voice from behind a locked door 'I'm on my lunch break, just go in...!' So we did, unfortunately.
There was a no shoes inside rule, which we ignored because the carpet was soaking wet and filthy dirty.
The room was uninhabitable, no other way to describe it. Simply disgusting! The carpet was again, wet, dirty and ripped. The window was broken (banged all night) and wouldn't close, therefore the bed was soaking wet... Speaking of the bed it certainly hadn't been changed before we arrived. It was filthy and had a lot of body hair between the sheets! We ended up in our sleeping bags, not sleeping at all that night. The wall paper was peeling, there was mould and cobwebs! Simply awful! The whole place needs gutting!
Bathroom much the same, absolutely horrible! Mouldy, dirty and smelly!
We didn't even venture into the kitchen/ lounge.
We booked and paid for 3 nights, left after the 1st and we not given a refund.
We find it unbelievable people have reviewed this place so highly. Especially when we paid $70 for a double room here! We quickly checked into Ibis Styles in the centre for $74....100% better!
This is not a harsh review, it is completely honest!! I wouldn't wish that experience upon anyone else and want to warn people what it's really like.
Sorry Lantana Lodge if this offends you, but this is simply unacceptable...!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I do not like writing negative reviews - but this is a necessity to warn people NOT to stay at this backpackers. I have just returned home from a weekend at Latana Lodge and it was an experience I do not ever wish to repeat. I have stayed in a number of backpackers across the country and never before have I encountered such a dive - trust me - 1 star is too many to describe my time spent here. The customer service throughout the entire experience was nothing but disappointing and rude, but it was the backpackers itself that was awful. I don't know when the pictures on their website have been taken, but they must have been a while ago, because currently the place resembles more of a dirty hovel. The sheets on my bed were stained and when I asked for an extra blanket because the one I had was paper thin and I feel the cold, I was informed they had run out of extras so I had to borrow some from a friend who lives in Auckland so I did not freeze the entire night. The towels that I paid for were also dirty. This backpackers also has a policy of no shoes inside - so one would want to bring some shoes for indoors because there is no way you want to be walking around in bare-feet! The state of the bathrooms was also disgusting - chipped paint, chipped basins, dirt and grime everywhere. Latana Lodge is run-down and depressing and a backpackers you do not want to ever stay in. This is surprising as it is in a nice location - but it has clearly not been looked after or managed properly and is falling into a state of disrepair and squalor. Think twice before staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Old plantation style home converted to hostel. The downers- building not well maintained, tidy but not truly clean, cold (was there in NZ winter), and the bathroom was very bad (shower curtain was mostly black with mold!) The good stuff- location is a great part of Auckland, staff is very friendly and welcoming, and the hot water pressure was the best ever :-D

Room Tip: Remember to specify girls or boys only rooms if required.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
New Brighton, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Four of us, 3 male, 1 female stayed here for an overnight in a family style room (1 bunk bed + 1 double). We arrived at ~1AM. The owner had prepared a set of keys for us and left them. The rooms were maintained but obviously old. The hostel itself was pretty chilly and cold, not too unexpected for Auckland. Overall, I think there are nicer places to stay in Auckland, but this place definitely provides some value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Read the reviews before we stayed and people claimed this as 'the best hostel they had stayed in' which motivated us to chose it for our two week transition in Auckland.

Our experience was the owner was friendly yet the place is tired and worn out, always had a dirty feel to it and was hard to relax in unless you have your own room.

Despite the owner claiming we could not stay more than a week as this place did not take 'long term renters' he allowed us to extend our stay on the first day. However, we were not in there longer than a week and that was pushing it. There was long termers hanging around all day in the lounge, some had passed out there from the night before. A year later we still see the same people unemployed people hanging around the lodge coming in and out. Anyway, back to what I was saying, the kitchen was always busy and it could be 9pm by the time we got to cook.

Furthermore, guests items had gone missing whilst we were there and that was the final straw.

Would I recommend it? Definitely not. If you like to hang around all day watching rubbish TV and smoking roll ups I reckon you would fit in. If not? I would not even bother!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We're a couple in our 20s and we stayed here for two nights...

Good
- The staff and owner of this place really care about you. They learn your names, what your plans are, and show you around like they're really proud of the place.
- You get free wi-fi and desktop computer use
- Big TV with cable channels and DVDs
- Nice kitchen and facilities and free tea and coffee!
- Parnell is a wonderful area

Bad
- As many others have mentioned, the place is quite old and a little run down.
- Lots of long-term residents who, whilst being friendly, clearly feel like they own the place

I'd recommend staying up the road at the manager's other hostel, which is called City Garden Lodge. Check out my review of that one!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed in 3 places in Auckland at the beginning and end of my NZ trip, and this was by far my favorite. Raj, the owner, went above and beyond to help us book airport transfers and a taxi service. He even drove by after hours to get me a new internet code after the Wifi stopped working. The hostel itself is in a great location near cafes and bars and restaurants. You can easily walk into the city. I loved the relaxed vibe and friendly backpackers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Lantana Lodge Backpackers? Share your experiences!