“Sweet place with all the comforts of home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lantana Lodge Backpackers

Lantana Lodge Backpackers
You added Lantana Lodge Backpackers to your Saves list
Lantana Lodge Backpackers
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   60 St Georges Bay Rd. | Parnell, Auckland, New Zealand   |
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Sweet place with all the comforts of home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed here twice, once for three nights and then for two nights a month later. We stayed in the same rooms both times, with a double bed and bunk beds for the kids. The room also had lockers and a fridge. The beds were comfortable with clean linen, and the window opened to let fresh air in! The price of $120 per night seems like a good deal for Auckland.

The communal areas are a bit shabby, especially the carpets, but in a homely way. The kitchen is reasonably equipped, and there's a small eating area off it. The lounge had squashy sofas, two pc terminals, a TV and DVD player, and lots of books to browse or swap. There is also a wraparound covered porch, great for chilling out on. The loos and showers are unisex, but private, and we never had to queue, or ran out of loo roll. There's a washing machine and dryer downstairs, I think it was $4 for a wash and $4 to dry. There's a clothesline outside too. Everything was pretty clean.

The building is a pretty Victorian villa, in a quiet location, down the hill from Parnell's main drag, and about 20 minutes walk from the city centre. Parnell has lots of great coffee shops and other interesting nooks and crannies, good for a nose around. There is a parade of shops on the quay, including fast food places and a DVD rental store, about 10 minutes walk away, and a huge Countdown supermarket a bit further along towards town. This is not a party hostel, so suited us fine.

We found Raj, the owner, and his staff to be charming and helpful, and understanding when we complained about new arrivals being allowed to sleep in the lounge during the day when the kids wanted to use the pcs etc. The free access to the pcs and wifi (little vouchers for an hour/60MB each, but unlimited numbers of vouchers) is a real rarity in New Zealand and a great boon. We'd go back...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

wunderful old house but terrible experience!!!
The owner expulse us because we clame about bed bugs and .
I never had such a experience like that in all our world around travel trip even in India...

We think that it is important you to know what happened to us with the Lantana Lodge in Auckland. It is a small house in a pleasant and calm area. That s why we chose that Lodge .We don t have the BBH Card that why we had to pay a little bit more as usual for other Backpacker Lodge but the reference of the label BBH is for us a guarantee and we refer us to it. As we came in the double room, it smells like mold. We take the bedroom and think maybe it goes away. But during the night it was so uncomfortable that we ask on the next morning to become something like a room parfum in order to overcover the smells. The employee was very nice. And check with us the bedroom and find with us the cause. The under mattress was it. So we proposed him just put out the under-mattress. He excused a lot for the smell and for the disagreement and agreed. It was for us OK for the 2 next nights. But as the manager came, he asked what happened and was offensed that we put out the under mattress, I mean we made it with the employee. He was so offensed as we explained, the mattress was bad and unhealthy that he put us out the bedroom and wanted to pay back just one of the following nights. After an uncomfortable discussion he payed us the 2 following nights and we go. I was very shocked about the way he speaked to us and how he put us out. I would ask you to check the healthy security of the mattress in this hotel because it is absolute not healthy to sleep in that bedroom (downstairs). We refer also the BBH Group about it but who care. The best is now that kind of forum.

Room Tip: Check the bed and the kitchen...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Leigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012 via mobile

Stopped for 4 nights staff nice & room very clean and great facilities. Not a party place but you can still have a laugh and get a good nights sleep. Beds very comfy.a little walk from city centre but the exercise is good would definatley use and reccomend this place every time.

• Stayed January 2012
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I was there in November 2010

Everybody knows that NZ is quite expensive and if you've been there you will also know that, at least in Auckland, the hostels never include wi-fi for free and they charge you a lot...

However, at Lantana they give you "vouchers" ( a lot of them) to use either with your laptop or at the computers there to use for free..

The hostel is like a house but with a really good cozy atmosphere, the rooms are ok and the whole place is really clean..

The rooms are not hughe, so depending on who is in your room you might get staff around the floor in the room...:) (when I was there, a chinese girl who was living there and cleaning, was in my room so she did have some staff around...which is normal cos she was living there! :)
but they are not small neither, they are comfortable and with lockers!

You can walk to the city centre in 20 min and it is in a quite nice area...

The kitchen is ok too and the toilets are clean.

Good atmosphere to meet people.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed at Lantana Lodge at the beginning of my trip to NZ for 3 nights, and came back for a few nights at the end of my trip, after I'd toured the North and South Islands. I stayed in a room with just 4 single beds- ideal to catch up on sleep after the long flight from the UK. The room also had a little balcony, ideal for reading. The owner let me store some stuff in the basement of the hostel (free of charge) for the 4 weeks I was travelling around, after I realised I didn't need to be lugging a sleeping bag with me (most hostels don't allow you to use your own, to prevent bed-bugs spreading). It's about a 20 min walk to central Auckland, but the district the hostel is based is really nice and trendy, and most buses do pick-ups in the area, so no need to carry a heavy rucksack far!

It's a really friendly hostel- much smaller than these huge chain hostels, which is what I prefer. It isn't full of 18-year-old's who get sloshed every night- I'm passed that now. A wide range of ages and nationalities stay here, so a really cultural experience in it's self.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

I found Lantana Lodge in a nice and quiet part of Auckland. It is located in Parnell and although close to it is nothing like the city center. It is like in a little village with beautiful parks close by, and only a 15 minute walk to the city center. You can also take the Link bus from Parnell to the city center for 1 dollar 80.

Back to Lantana lodge. It is a big house in use as a small hostel. It gives a very homely and welcome feeling. There are two dorm rooms and a mix of double triple and family rooms. During my stay I found due to the size it is easy to get to know the majority of the guests which gives this place a very social vibe.

The owner of this place seems to invest properly in his lodge. I found the beds very decent. No squeaky noises when twisting or turning, and the mattresses are thick with springs and very comfortable. The dorm I was in looked freshly painted, and it and the rest of the place was cleaned daily.

The common area has a good tv with about 10 clear channels. There are also two internet computers for free use, and WiFi is free as well using the free codes you get from the manager.

I found the manager really takes care of this place and it's guests. He and his wife were very friendly, and I had a great stay here. I can really recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I stayed at Lantana Lodge for a weekend and I loved it! The staff were really friendly and helpful, I felt like I was being greeted into someone's home with so much care to my comfort! The lodge itself has the best feel, plenty of space and very comfortable! And as a solo traveler it was great because all the other guests were really friendly and of varying ages! This is definitely a hostel for anyone. I sat on the porch drinking beers with guests that were from ages 20 to one vivacious man that was 89! The best part about Lantana is it's placement, as not only is it a short walk to Parnell road which is lovely; full of interesting shops, great pubs, and delicious food, but its also located just around the corner from the french markets! If you are staying in Auckland, Lantana Lodge is the place to be!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Lantana Lodge Backpackers? Share your experiences!