I stayed here 7 nights in an executive room while I attended a conference and activities around the city. The location is good for CBD and waterfront venues and it's not far from K Rd or Ponsonby if you're happy to walk up and down easy hills for 10-15 mins. Reception was friendly and efficient, housekeeping too. Very late check-in wasn't a problem. The bus from the airport stops a 5 min walk away (up a hill though!). The room was clean and comfortable, reasonable linen on the comfy bed and ample towels. Very limited toiletries, best to BYO, I've no idea what the additional exec. amenities are, even tea/coffee is very basic. The kitchenette comprised 2 hot plates under a good rangehood and a microwave. No oven/grill. BYO sharp knife if you really want to cook. New World supermarket is 10 min walk away. In-room safe big enough for 13" laptop. Window opened and there was air con too (not a given in humid Auckland, strangely) 2 of the exec rooms are significantly smaller than the rest and of course that's what I got, so no couch, instead an armchair. It was ok for me as I wasn't spending much time in my room, but it wasn't what I expected after the website claims and photos. Also the exec floor is NOT reserved for business travelers so expect to be woken up at least once a night by children or young tourists calling out to each other down the hall at all hours. Lots of tour groups stay there. My room was near the lift which added to the noise. This aspect of the stay was the worst and I think it really misleading to advertise a floor as executive and then book it to everyone. When traveling for work you can't oversleep to compensate. Wifi for the exec rooms is free which is unusual in Auckland. Pay per hour is the norm and it is expensive. Wifi coverage was good but excluded the breakfast room. Breakfast was appalling. $20 for a pathetic choice of supermarket cereals,white sandwich loaf and sliced fruit. A few $ extra gets you the hot breakfast which looked ghastly, Bain Maries of goodness knows what. That the breakfast is SO awful is out of character with the hotel experience otherwise. Buy cereal for you room! There is a great cafe 5 min walk away- look up Remedy on Wellesley St. Would I stay again? Possibly if traveling in this price bracket. Having seen a few of the other CBD hotels where colleagues stayed, I certainly had a better experience (avoid Ibis Styles!!!), but for an exec. experience, there is scope for improvement.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1912, The year of the Titanic, was when the lobby and entrance of the Auckland City Hotel - Hobson St was originally erected. The hotel has retained the character and charm of its past enhanced with a new building housing 138 rooms with contemporary decor and modern conveniences. The Auckland City Hotel is ideally located at 157 Hobson Street - in the heart of Auckland's entertainment and business district with easy access to motorways. Only five minute's walk to the Sky Tower, Aotea Square, Civic Theatre and Queen Street, the Auckland City Hotel offers convenient, environmentally friendly accommodation for business and leisure travelers alike. Enjoy a meal at The Mustard Seed Malaysian Cafe & Restaurant, renew with a read of the Word for Today in our rooms or relax with a workout at our offsite gym and swimming pool, the Auckland City Hotel is called to serve more than just your accommodation needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Otel, HostelBookers, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St Hotel Auckland Central
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St New Zealand