“Reasonable stay for the price, terrible breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   157 Hobson Street, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #32 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Melbourne, Australia
“Reasonable stay for the price, terrible breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here 7 nights in an executive room while I attended a conference and activities around the city. The location is good for CBD and waterfront venues and it's not far from K Rd or Ponsonby if you're happy to walk up and down easy hills for 10-15 mins. Reception was friendly and efficient, housekeeping too. Very late check-in wasn't a problem. The bus from the airport stops a 5 min walk away (up a hill though!). The room was clean and comfortable, reasonable linen on the comfy bed and ample towels. Very limited toiletries, best to BYO, I've no idea what the additional exec. amenities are, even tea/coffee is very basic. The kitchenette comprised 2 hot plates under a good rangehood and a microwave. No oven/grill. BYO sharp knife if you really want to cook. New World supermarket is 10 min walk away. In-room safe big enough for 13" laptop. Window opened and there was air con too (not a given in humid Auckland, strangely) 2 of the exec rooms are significantly smaller than the rest and of course that's what I got, so no couch, instead an armchair. It was ok for me as I wasn't spending much time in my room, but it wasn't what I expected after the website claims and photos. Also the exec floor is NOT reserved for business travelers so expect to be woken up at least once a night by children or young tourists calling out to each other down the hall at all hours. Lots of tour groups stay there. My room was near the lift which added to the noise. This aspect of the stay was the worst and I think it really misleading to advertise a floor as executive and then book it to everyone. When traveling for work you can't oversleep to compensate. Wifi for the exec rooms is free which is unusual in Auckland. Pay per hour is the norm and it is expensive. Wifi coverage was good but excluded the breakfast room. Breakfast was appalling. $20 for a pathetic choice of supermarket cereals,white sandwich loaf and sliced fruit. A few $ extra gets you the hot breakfast which looked ghastly, Bain Maries of goodness knows what. That the breakfast is SO awful is out of character with the hotel experience otherwise. Buy cereal for you room! There is a great cafe 5 min walk away- look up Remedy on Wellesley St. Would I stay again? Possibly if traveling in this price bracket. Having seen a few of the other CBD hotels where colleagues stayed, I certainly had a better experience (avoid Ibis Styles!!!), but for an exec. experience, there is scope for improvement.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Slovak first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

LOCATION:
A 20 min walk to the pier, 10 min walk from Sky City. 5 min walk to Queen street. Very close to restaurants/ convenience stores.

TIDINESS
Acceptable

STYLE:
Contemporary, chic

STAFF:
Adequate reception service

COMMENTS:
Hobson Street is a rather quite street and is walking distance from Queen Street (great shopping and dining). It seems most rooms don't face the busy city street side and so there is no issue getting a good night sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

We stayed in the suite with two bedrooms on the 10th floor. The kitchen and living room were downstairs while two rooms and bathroom were upstairs.

This unit is not suitable for disable/elderly. Also we find it very inconvenient having only one bathroom/toilet. No aircon, only fans provided.

The unit cleanliness was not good enough. We found stains on the bed sheet and the curtains were filthy. I really hate the shower cubicle that creates a lot of noise whenever anyone showers. I think it's a norm that most hotel in nz uses this kind of cubicle.

Location is very close to skycity(5 min), mart & laundry just nearby. Queen street about 20min walk. The view u got is the student apartment. The Free wifi limit to 1 hour per day(if not mistaken).

I would prefer to stay somewhere else with better room and free wifi.

Stayed March 2014
Kalgoorlie,Western Austarlia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

My wife and stayed at the Auckland City Hotel for 2 reasons. First up we were visiting our neice and her partner who lived in an apartment in the same block and also because we had a hire car for the fortnight and this hotel provided, for $25 a night, which I thought fair as room tariff was moderate.
We asked for a room with a balcony and strangely enough only rooms with balconies are standard rooms on first floor,nd no lift to first floor! It was explained to us there is no view so that was fair enough.Funnily enough it looked directly into a 15 story appartment(more like tiny tiny motel units, all with a myriad of Asians staring back at us from their miniature balconies, and the smell from their cooking,I am glad 2 out of the 3 nights we stayed there it was windy enough to disperse the odours.
i should explain that our balcony was rather large and shared by theroom next to us and first night a considerable amount of rubbish on balcony, it was obvious it had not been cleaned for some time, so we dropped subtle hints to the front staff, I could see how far those hints were going to go!
We were back 6 nights later for our second stay and rubbish still there.I went to front counter and explained story t o2 different staff members on 2 seperate ocassions,one mouthed platitudes , the other a lady gave me an nasty stare and turned away.
We came back after travelling around 4 nights later for our last night before flying home to West Australia, rubbish still there so I went to front counter and a friendly attentive bloke said he would send housekeeping up immediately to clean it and he did, good on him, pity all other front counter staff I had spoken to didnt have his attitude.
The room itself was fairly small but very clean and tidy at all times, bearing in mind we stayed here 3 nights broken by our travels around the fantastic country.
We wer every happy with the room, towels bedding etc,and cleanliness my bug bear with the room was compendium said 9 ( I think it was) TV channels, 2 didnt work and instead of sports one channel ran continual ads for the hotel, when i asked front counter about this an Asian bloke(all staff were Asian) tried to explain as being the fault of the TV provider, strange how the provider only had commercials for the hotel then!
Now the parking, when parking one must hand the keys over to the staff or they clamp your vehicle.I had no problem with this as I could see the reason, limited parking so some vehicles parked in front of others.
We would stay here agin under the same circumstances if we had to stay with a vehicle in CBD because everything is in walking distance.
Cant comment on the restaurant or breakfast as we ate out with our neice

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I was check in for my group on 28 March 2014. Room are OK, nice and good facilities, but the staff are not friendly, not smile and not really helpful. Please do not deal with one of lady staff (Filipino), she was not friendly and not helpful.

Breakfast very bad, I am from Malaysia and of course expected the best Malaysian food from this kitchen , but it is really disappointing. The fried rice is tasteless, meals not variety and price is quite expensive (NZD20 per head) - not worth it

Bonus for this hotel, good location and not far from Sky city.

Room Tip: Please choose room far from lift, and higher level.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Good location in centre of Auckland City. Nice clean hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Mostly Chinese tourists when we were there. Menu in restuarant is nearly all Chinese food that is why my heading of 'room only'. Sandwich shops on same street - but try Father Ted's Irish bar for nice meals! Free one hour wifi per person. Overall - pleasant stay!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Fukuoka, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

After getting this hotel as a stopover between flights, I was expecting just a barebones bed and bathroom. But I was pleasantly surprised... the room was well appointed and clean - and very comfortable. Location is fantastic for downtown Auckland.
Best of all was the service... I was traveling with a group of 21 students and the staff went out of their way to make us welcome and answer all my queries. Happily recommend this hotel for anyone traveling through downtown Auckland.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St? Share your experiences!