“Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

You added Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St to your Saves list
Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   157 Hobson Street, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Special Offer
Book direct for best rate
Ranked #30 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Porirua
“Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in May to see Jersey Boys. Within easy walking distance to the Civic and restuarants. Room clean, and good service. Good value. Will stay again next time in Auckland.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Slovak first
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed at the Auckland City Hotel May 2012 with my partner. It was his birthday and I wanted to do something special.

I was worried about coming to the hotel, after seeing the other negative reviews. However, I found this hotel to exceed my expectations in almost every way. The hotel was clean, my room was clean, the little finishing touches and gestures in the room bought warmth and class to our stay. Little things the room attendants did to make the stay comfortable stood out from previous places I have stayed.

We stayed in the Deluxe room. We have a lovely modern sparkling wine on arrival, with free parking, and food and beverage vouchers, including a voucher for a spa. The directional book was useful in the room, with places of interest, the restaurant menu, calling codes. Basically we were very well looked after, and the place is well organised and professional.

When you walk in, it smells fresh, looks bright, and has an arrival lounge, a separate reception. In fact, two lounges on the ground floor, with a large scale restaurant. The hotel looks small from the street, but inside, it is massive (with 10 stories high!).

The service was exceptional. The young gentlemen serving everybody was well dressed and presented, and had an eye of detail. He smiled, and stayed calm under pressure, including busy periods. He gave us a lovely warm welcome, and directed us to our room. The staff speak English fluently, and I am confused why people insulted these hard workers, as I understood them fine. They are fluent in English. The service was exceptional, efficient and fast.

The other lounge has modern and expensive decor, which influences Malaysia. It is carefully decorated, and isn't tacky. We went on the lift, and we got to our room. It smelt fresh, and the room was very clean and tidy. It looked like the room attendants at the hotel put extra effort into room service than other places I've been too.

My room facilities was a heater, which produced heat fast, silently. Window overlooking people in their apartments. Which was very interesting if you ask me. You'll be there hours looking into the life of "the apartment life". Different types of people, students, workers, elderly and children. Watching TV, parties, studying and sleeping. Facing these apartments was unique, I wouldn't say classy, but I think it all adds up to the experience. It was like a movie really. I even got up in the night to check what they were up to, all the lights were on in the apartment block, and still busy! At midnight!! We saw people cooking, to sleeping, to a student with nothing in their room, except a sleeping bag and books!

We had a bathroom, with a shower, basin and shampoo & conditioner. Shelves. It is very modern and posh.

Large queen bed, tea and coffee facilities, mini fridge, a large wide screen plasma TV, an in room safe, iron, iron board, glasses, cups, hair dryer, wardrobe, hangers, lamps, room decor etc, desk, cabinets and a table.

The room was very modern, and sophisticated.

Downstairs is the restaurant, the mustard seed. The only disappointment was that this is not the place to go if your a vegan. As a vegetarian, the only option I had for Breakfast was a toasted bagel with avocado, although it was delicious and fulling, I wish I could have chosen from a couple of options. My partner has the fry up. Hash browns, eggs, bacon, sausage and toast. For lunch or mains, the only thing I could have was fried vegetable rice, or vegetable noodle. Even that included caged eggs. This place only serves halal meat, just so you know. If you do not know what that is, find out. Besides the little of options I had, the food was delicious, cooked well and was fast. I wouldn't rate the food a 5 star restaurant, however, it is a very cost, so you get what you pay for.

I had FOC room service. I never actually ate in the restaurant, I had it delivered to my room. It was fast and delicious.

With the parking, it is located on Cook St. Auckland City Hotel is on the corner of Hobson and Cook. They have an automatic gate for protection, you'll need to hand them over your keys in case they need to move your car at some point during your stay,

Hobson St... after all, it is the city. The city at night is always unsafe, but this is a busy street (the main way to the motorway in fact), so beware that this isn't the most pleasant of streets in Auckland. But remember, the Langham Hotel is also located on an unsafe street, and so is the Stamford Plaza. Make sure you are not planning on letting minors rome the streets, that's all. I am a young women, and nothing bad happened to me when walking alone.

Auckland City Hotel is close to everything in the CBD. We walked to Sky City, no more than a 3 min walk in heels. And to the viaduct, 15 min in heels. The new metro supermarkets, and fantastic shopping. It is perfect for a city adventure stay, or if you are a tourist. Close to airport transfers from CBD bus stops (hotel also do them), close to 3X supermarkets, pharmacy, banks, department stores and westfield shopping mall, and how can i forget..... the iconic harbour and skytower. Auckland Cities Britomart is the home of public transport for all over Auckland.

We were located on one of the top floors, so didn't hear people at all. Nobody in fact. Had a good sleep on a comfortable bed.

Overall, the hotel exceeded my expectations, in all reasons really. Service, location, close to everything, how clean the room was (hotel in general), the restaurant inside, good value for money, and the friendly staff. I have stayed in all the fancy places, such as the Langham and the stamford Plaza, Auckland City Hotel is comparable to those.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Room
Saitama, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights during our short visit to Auckland. The hotel itself is clean and the staff is very firendly. We arrived a few hours before the check-in time, we requested and got an early check-in for free of charge, since we were travelling with a 2 yo. Thanks Howard for it. The Malaysian restaurant inside the hotel was great, wished to have dinner there more times. The staff arranged an Airport taxi for us for $35, which is the best in the city, I am sure. Altogether, we had a pleasant stay and we wish to come back again in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Gisborne, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

The staff are helpful and friendly, the hotel is very good value for money, being very close to Sky Tower, the Civic Theatre and the shops, we walked back from the waterfront. We have booked to stay again in a few weeks time, why bother to look further with value and service we are delighted with?

Room Tip: Room 106 has a big balcony! nothing to sit on, but its probably too cold to sit out just now! Very q...
phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

The lobby is nice, the staff VERY helpful, but our initial feeling upon arrival into the room was 'ick'. After further investigation, it wasn't so bad. Lets just say the hotel has some great photographers working for them, as what I saw prior to travel was not a reality. The room is very dreary/drab, had a small (although nice), oddly placed television, with a very uncomfortable bed (our main complaint). The bathroom made me chuckle, because the actual sink, which is shown on the website, is lovely, but the shower was definitely ick. Zero water pressure and looked almost slimy. We stayed for one night and we were on our honeymoon, so our standard may be a bit higher than usual. But at the end of the day, when you get a hotel room you want a good night sleep, and this bed made it very difficult for that.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed in an apartment which was well equipped with washing machine and dishwasher, for two nights. The apartment was very clean and quite spacious. The front desk staff were very welcoming and friendly. A continental breakfast was included. Be warned that each day only the used breakfast items are replaced - e.g I am not keen on muffins so didn't eat mine - the next day that muffin stayed in the breakfast basket and the other muffin eaten by my husband was replaced with a breakfast bar. If you don't like what is in the basket - don't leave it there or tell them you would like something else. I guess this is a minor detail in the big scheme of things. We got a special deal for this apartment on "Booking.com" and it was exceptional value. The hotel is not far from Queen St where you can catch the red bus which goes up and down Queen St all day and into the evening. We were also close to the Theatre where the "Jersey Boys" are playing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Nelson, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Unpretentious outside, the hotel is behind the facade of a historic building, the old Trades Hall, we were told. The lobby was fresh and clean.The staff were friendly and helpful at checkin, negotiating a fourth night in the same room at a good rate no problem. The room was clean fresh and airy, two double beds for two people, kitchen with microwave adequate for light meals, AND room service washed our dishes if we let them. Room service friendly and helpful when we needed extras. (We went down with 'flu, had to spend a couple of days in the room, that was ok.) Didn't need the A/C, but it was intrusive when we tried it. Bathroom was of good standard. On first floor, we looked out at two large carparks and two big apartment buildings, but it was pleasant enough for the days we were there, AND the sun streamed into our room. For inner-city sleeping I use earplugs, but my wife slept well without, so noise level ok.

The Malaysian restaurant is a very pleasant big room, formerly a meeting hall, but now quite cosy. Food excellent, portions were huge and we had enough for next day's lunch after our first meal there - they wrapped it up for us to take. Breakfast was good, all the meat is halal, so chicken bacon, but could not tell the difference. The restaurant staff considerate and friendly.

From this hotel, a short walk to anywhere. Certainly good value for the rate we were charged.

Room Tip: We had no problems on Floor #2 (First Floor). Suggest ask for one facing the north/west, if you li...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St? Share your experiences!