“Absolutely awful” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
perth western australia
“Absolutely awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I am not sure where to begin...... Having had lunch and drinks at the Como several times, I decided having a family dinner to celebrate my husbands birthday and our return from Europe The Como was a good option with today being a public holiday. I booked for 10 members of our family. From the onset there were concerns from our group, all being foodies, there were questions raised about the prices being charged. We got over that and ordered our meals, that was after some 30 minutes of no one coming to our table. The waitress was rather off hand at and mumbled something about us ordering separately or as a group, I advised we would order as a group. The wait staff seemed flustered, given the number of staff on board and number of customers, not sure why this was the case..... When it came to my order of rack of lamb one of the dearest on the menu at mid thirties, waitress informed me there was no mash but I could have roast potatoes or chips, I advised neither were really suitable, and questioned why I could have chips and roast potatoes but no mash, she replied, we have been so busy the mash has run out..... I queried if the food was freshly cooked. My niece asked for nachos, run out. Our food eventually was served in dribs and drabs some 10 minutes from first and last .. My husbands was by the worst - he ordered paella, this resembled a creamy, white sauce rice dish nothing like paella at all, infact it looked identical to my older nieces risotto with extra seafood. He took one taste and said he couldn't eat it, my mothers barramundi was a dried out piece of fish and did not resemble barramundi, it looked like cardboard covered in sauce, my sisters kangaroo looked like it had been dried by the roadside, with accompaniments that didn't match the menu, my rack of lamb at $33 was dry and far from the pink I had ordered, I ate one chop and that was all I could digest, as for the broccolini - I like crips veges but not raw..... My husband is a big eater but could barely eat 2 mouthfuls and asked to speak with the manager. She was accommodating and understood our complaint but offered no explanation other than offering to have more meals prepared which we declined as we didn't wish to risk eating anything further. We accepted the offer of a drink on the house. The manager advised she would raise this with management and credit the 4 meals to us. Such a let done, especially having returned only yesterday from Europe with such wonderful cheap food.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Just returned from a dinner at Como Hotel.
Booked reservation for family celebration. Waited 20 minutes for service then another 30 minutes to get our drinks.
After a further 20 minutes meals arrived - Paella resembled a mix between baby food, risotto and easy mac pasta, having eaten paella throughout Spain any claim to the the title 'paella' was a stretch of the imagination.
My wife ordered rack of lamb to be told the mashed potato was 'finished' and that she would have to have chips or roast potatoes instead, after to acquiescing to roast spuds and requesting the lamb 'pink' it arrived over-cooked and too dry to eat.
Sister in-law ordered kangaroo fillet that arrived over-cooked and more reflective of 'road-kill' than a tender roo fillet.
Mother in-law's barramundi was a questionable piece of fish...
Overall despite a reservation, food and service was sub-standard.
The only food that was of an acceptable standard was the the pub grub - maybe they should stick to steak sandwiches a d chips.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Perth, WA
“Cold Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Took my family to The Como for dinner. Wait staff were pleasant enough, but not great. Kids meals were good value and decent portions for my big eating boys. However, when my meal arrived (baked atlantic salmon with potato gratin) it was not hot or even warm, it was room temp and in some parts of the potato was cold. I was starving so ate it anyway, but when I told the waitress at the end of the meal, she didn't seem all that interested. Not sure we will be going back anytime soon...

Visited June 2013
“Nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Visited with our children and had a lovely afternoon sitting outside. Also has nice seating inside for a more formal afternoon. Cool drinks by the jug. Kids menu was good value with the fish able to be ordered grilled or deep fried. Grilled was delicious. Kids meals were fairly large. If you are not too hungry order from here.
A range of Tapas like dishes are available and a great way to enjoy picking at food whilst having a lazy afternoon. A live band would have added more atmosphere. An area where our older children played pool.
We enjoyed our food drinks and afternoon.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good pub grub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Easy parking and access, drink prices OK - nice outlook in outside garden but not enough shelter when it rains

Visited December 2012