“Local Favourite” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Local Favourite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I have been to Matilda Bay many times for party's, weddings and family dinners. I have never had any complaints about service or the food in fact thoroughly enjoyed each experience. The location within Matilda Bay overlooking the water whilst drinking some local brew dining on local seafood is just perfect.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Australia
“Food Nice - Service Shocking”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I went for a business dinner with two colleagues and was a pretty average experience to say the least.
As we were there on a Tuesday night, you would expect attention due to it being a pretty slow night, that was not the case.
The waitress got our drink order incorrect from the start not "knowing" what beer a cider was.
One of my colleagues told that waitress he was not drinking and drank water but was asked each time she came back to the table if he wanted a beer which upset him a little.
We ordered our food and having not been there for a few years, did not realise there was any accompaniments.
The entrees were a decent size and nice but the mains came out with nothing except the main - 3 venison cutlets, the waitress again let us down by not informing us of this or upselling the sides which were at a pretty high price for the size of them.....
As we were eating the wait staff were removing accompanying plates and knives which was pretty rude.
The rest of the wait staff seem pretty disinterested and were more intent talking to themselves than worrying about the customers.
For a restaurant of this repute, the service and attention we received was the worst I have experienced in a number of years.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Klang, Malaysia
“Great Food, Service and equally great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Recommended by a friend and reading conflicting review, we decide to head there anyway.

We made 7pm reservation for 5 persons. Being tourist, We arrived early to enjoy the view and photo session before meal. The view is great. Snap, snap, snap and we headed for dinner.

As like any fine dining, service is as expected.

We order oyster, dry aged ribeye, seafood platter (2 portion) and salt cured duck. As we have read from reviews, we asked for tap water, which is free. We order wine as well. a good selection of wine.

The food is as expected, great. Do save some room for dessert, which are great too.

Total bill is around $300 but with Entertainment Card discount of $55, it's certainly worth it!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
““$5 per person for...tap water!” - reply to the Manager's reply...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I wrote a review last month after visiting Matilda Bay restaurant - in a nutshell, I was disappointed because of the hidden charges i.e. for water and the fried potatos, which arrived at our table with no explanation (we assumed they were part of the main course) and (to my surprise) later appeared on the bill.

My review received a reply from Mr Warwick Lavis - the manger - who wanted to "clarify a couple of the points raised".

I thought his reply needed a reply, since he claimed that "As well as offering tap water at no charge we offer unlimited bottled sparkling and still water at a cost of $5.00 per person. The options would have been offered on your arrival..."

Dear Mr Warwick, you may instruct your staff to tell the customers about this, but unfortunately they do not. We were given only two options - still or sparkling water - and noone mentioned that the still water is not the tap water.

You also failed to explain how the fried potatos got to our table and why we were charged for them, even though we did not order them.

I hope this additional review explains why I was disappointed and that the management takes it on board in order to create a better dining experience for the customers.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Never disappoints”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have been dining at Matilda Bay on and off for 20 years and always have a wonderful time. The views are magnificent, the service excellent and the food is fabulous. 3 of us were there for dinner recently on a Tuesday evening and were surprised to see how busy it was, which I think goes to show how popular it is.
I had the king fish entree which was cured in citrus juice and served with bean sprouts and grapefruit, and was to die for! We all had steak for our main course and I believe that the steak is as good as the best steak I've had anywhere. We had the "chips" as a side dish were are served in a cute little basket and paper, as well as a salad. I had the chocolate dessert which was a combination of a warm chocolate brownie, a smear of smooth chocolate mousse and a brittle chocolate basket; the combination of temperatures and textures was divine.
It was an expensive evening but thoroughly enjoyable.

• Visited September 2013