“A good local Italian rather than one to travel too far to ...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“A good local Italian rather than one to travel too far to ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

To be honest, if we didn't live round the corner I'm not sure Gucce would have us travelling very far to get to it. Firstly it's ambiance is a bit strange - mainly because of the configuration of the building. It's high-ceilinged and the space is deep but narrow. The decor is nothing flashy - I recall three rather depressing urban black and white photos of, I presume, somewhere in Italy. They used to have a pizza oven here a while ago but replaced it with another table or two, which is a pity as it gave a bit of warmth to the place. The service on the whole is friendly enough but can be slow - it seems to be very popular with large groups celebrating something and they can sometimes take priority over smaller tables. I do like restaurants like Gucce that are not ashamed to have the kitchen on continuous view - though my view last night was mainly of the guy doing the plate-rinsing! The food here is generally good - though I'm not sure that an ordinary olive tapenade and hummus (with focaccia bread) should really qualify as special dips of the house! Tortellonis were pretty tasty; my wife's linguine di mare ($27) apparently "very good" and my son completely cleaned his plate of the surf and turf ($45). So, a bit of a mixture really - and we will be back but probably more because of its convenience than the out and out excellence of the overall experience.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

perth,wa
“My local”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I live just around the corner and Gucce is really good. The food is impeccable-especially the spaghetti bolognese (my fussiest child in world eats all of it) and fish is wonderful and spaghetti carbonara is the best in Perth - in fact the best ever I have ever had !! Staff lovely and friendly -it is a busy restaurant but you could do intimate too .

Visited May 2012
“Very Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012 via mobile

The evening started badly when at 7pm they were already out of two specials which we were not informed of until we ordered. After reviewing the menu again we ordered.
As our meals were served, my gnocchi was given to the wrong table, and I my friends had finished theirs before I received my meal.
Ironically even though I had to wait, the gnocchi was so over-cooked it was like rubber. Having said that my friends meals were quite good.
We have persevered with Gucci's bad service in the past because of the good and it's local... but this was the last straw.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“A local gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

It took me a while to figure out that Gucce was actually open. That's because it always looked closed from the road during the day. But I suppose the natives around Applecross know better because bugger me sideways, they are always full in the evening!

I have been to Gucce many times and like a snowball, every revisit seems to be better and more meaningful than the time before.

This really is a gem.

They use to have a wood-fired pizza oven that is sadly no longer, but
the food is consistently on the mark. It's not out of this world, but totally homely, and honest.

The decor, if you can call it that, emulates a trattoria except that it's like going to an indoor swimming pool on a 38 degree day. You should be outside. But don't be put off. That is part of the charm. You go there for the experience which is mostly about food and company.

I will say this, the "old" chef is brilliant (sadly I don't know his name and he isn't old). I have been there when he wasn't on duty and got what I deserved. A young replacement . But if he is there working his magic, then expect to be spell-bound by great food.

Oh...and one word extra. Most Perth restaurants fail dismally when it comes to service. These guys excel with it. Attentive, intelligent, friendly and knowledgeable. Well done Gucce.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kabul
“Tries hard - nearly makes it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Set in an upmarket small neighborhood shopping area in Applecross. It is an old butcher shop - the atmosphere is ok, nothing striking. The food was on the whole rather good - with a couple of misses. The service was a tad hit or miss. For a neighborhood joint, most worthwhile. As a destination I would likely stay in the cab.

Visited March 2012