“Basically excellent but ruined by completely unnecessary faux-pas” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chantarelle @ Jessica's

Chantarelle @ Jessica's
99 Adelaide Tce, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (East Perth)
(08) 9325 2511
Improve this listing
Ranked #916 of 1,563 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Seafood
Neighborhood: East Perth
Neighborhood: East Perth
Tokyo, Japan
“Basically excellent but ruined by completely unnecessary faux-pas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

The food was really of a very high standard: fresh ingredients and nicely presented.
The starters were especially good. The prawn bisque was excellent and I would give 10 out of 10 for the risotto with basil oil (and that IS a compliment, as I am generally very reluctant to give top marks for anything).
The pork fillet with prunes was good, albeit not really my taste. The lamb shanks were not bad, but I will admit that you are quite limited what you can do with them and the caramelised onions were superb.
The waitress did her job perfectly - always there when needed but otherwise totally unobtrusive.
HOWEVER, two things went a long way to spoiling the overall experience: one was the criminal use of bottled dressing on the spinach salad (completely unacceptable in a restaurant of this calibre).
The other was the extremely rude reaction of the maitre d' when we presented a discount card on paying the bill. Again, totally unacceptable and her snotty, arrogant behaviour really left a dirty taste in our mouth.

Visited May 2012

Perth W.Aust
“Great service, good food at the rear of Hyatt Perth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Jessica's used to be a seafood restaurant; Chantarelle was a fine French restaurant in the Western suburbs. Some years ago the owners of Chantarelle moved into the Jessica's space, hence the name. We had fresh crayfish from the tank on the wall simply grilled with a little garlic butter. Others had barramundi and salmon served beautifully. But Chantarelle is not just a seafood restaurant. There’s also a lot of meat dishes on the menu. Wagyu sirloin or steak tartare, grilled fillet steak with braised ox tail, roast loin of venison and de-boned lamb shanks wrapped in prosciutto. They also do an mouth-melting braised beef cheek dish that will have you licking up the plate. Fantastic dining

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“A lovely dinner and will visit again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

My husband and I visited this restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary dinner. It was not a busy Sunday evening. The staff were friendly and welcoming. The service was fast and the setting has a pleasant ambiance.
We ordered home made bread with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. The olive oil was lovely.
My husband had Oysters Kilpatrick while I had the tempura prawns with Mango salsa. They were both lovely and was well cooked.

For our mains, my husband had the 400 g sirloin that came with potatos and I had the Crayfish Mornay with mashed potatoes. We ordered Cauliflower gratin on the side.
The presentation was excellent and the taste was superb. The servings, generous.

As my husband and I don't drink alcohol, we had Lemon Lime bitters and the staff were so diligent in ensuring that our glasses were topped up.

One of the staff offered to take our photo. As we mentioned that it was our wedding anniversary, for our desserts, they took wrote "Happy Anniversary" on our dessert plates with Chocolate toppings. It was such a lovely gesture.

The price was not cheap but the quality was excellent and get what you paid for, We used our Entertainment Card which saved us $40 and they did not scratch it which means we can return and use the card again and get another discount.

All together, it was a lovely experience, the parking was not a problem either as they have paid parking below or free parking on the side of the road. We would not mind telling our family and friends about this restaurant and would not mind coming back. My husband loves meat while I love seafood and they both delivered these dishes well.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Safed, Israel
“Horrid - Run away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Terrible service, terrible food, horrible atmosphere

• Visited August 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Very nice dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

This is a good seafood restaurant, but you have to know it is there.

Grumpily, I wandered around the lobby of the Hyatt and out into the East Perth area looking for food. Not being one for over stuffed, huaghty, pretentious dining experiences yet desiring good quality fare the area provides limited options. However, there are a couple of bright lights, one of them being Chantarelle @ Jessica's (I should have asked how they came up with that name).

The restaurant is located in the Hyatt complex... the first floor of the office complex area, riverside of the hotel (park in the carpark under the complex or walk to it from the riverside escalators in the Hyatt Lobby. C@J is *not* a hotel restaurant.

The large dining area was about half full at 8pm on a rainy Saturday night, and I was seated immediately.The staff was pleasant and very welcoming. The entire dining area has a view of the grassy flat and on to the river.

I ordered the Smoked fish chowder with scallops prawns & mussels as a starter. Having been underwhelmed with the quantity and quality of seafood chowders in many places I was pleasantly surprised to find the chowder to be a chowder. It was difficult to get a spoonful of it without a nice critter or critter part. The portion is large. I'd even consider the chowder with some bread to be a meal.

For my main I had Roast red emperor with carrot sauce & roast potatoes. Cooked and seasoned just right the kitchen obviously applies their care and attention to create a nice looking as well as excellent tasting meal.

The price is competitive with other good quality places in Perth (and why shouldn't it be?). Perth isn't a cheap place but comparatively, this place has value for your spend.

In my lone travels I often find restaurants that are less than welcoming for parties of one. This was certainly no the case here. I shall return.

• Visited July 2011