“Clean and functional” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza

Save Saved
You added Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza to your Saves list
Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   138 Barrack St, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (Formerly Medina Executive Barrack Plaza)   |
Ranked #8 of 57 hotels in Perth
Essex, UK
“Clean and functional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a night on arriving in Perth from Sydney. The apartment was clean and spacious, if a little soulless. Location was convenient. Car parking cost extra, as did Wifi. Just a little tired looking, perhaps, but we'd probably stay there again. Staff were friendly and helpful. Didn't appreciate the credit card machine not offering the opportunity to reject its own poor FX rate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kyle K, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Swiss6

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor in relation to your recent stay with us.
We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback.

It is great to hear that you found the Hotel location very convenient and our rooms very clean & spacious.

Also, I was glad to hear that the team was very helpful & friendly.
I will definitely share you candid comments with my team & I am sure they will be excited that they have been mentioned.

Our websites does state that the charges are applicable for internet and car parking.
We do find that our prices are very reasonable compared to other nearby hotels.

Regarding the credit card machine FX rate, we do apologise. There is an option for choosing your currency or destination currency.
We will take a note of this and will definitely re-train our team.

Once again, Thank you Swiss6 for your feedback.

We would look forward to welcoming you back to Adina Apartment Hotel, Barrack Plaza again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Adina Apartment Hotel Barrack Plaza

427 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a Premium 2 bedroom apartment here for a week in Dec 2012. The apartment came with 2 bedrooms both with ensuite bathrooms (one with shower and one with bath/shower), living/dining area, small study table, and kitchenette.

We chose to stay here firstly due to the location which is a stone's throw away from the main shopping area of Murray St Mall/ Hay St Mall. It is also just across the road from the Perth Railway Station and within short walking distance of bus routes. Secondly, as we were traveling as a family with 3 young children, it was important to have kitchen and laundry facilities on site. The Medina filled these criteria easily.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay. Staff at the front desk were helpful, assisting to fix the room safe which was out of battery and booking our taxi to the airport on our departure. We had read about the Medina being near X-rated joints and of noisy revellers at night, but we didn't experience any disturbances during our stay.

The only complaint we would have it the Wifi which one would need to pay for, depending on hourly (AUD11 per hour) or daily AUD66/day) use. We opted to purchase a Portable Wifi device from Vodaphone which cost us only AUD79 and enabled us to surf throughout our one week stay. This saved us some money. We would suggest that the management consider providing free or cheaper Wifi as many hotels and places to stay are heading in this direction.

Housekeeping was average- we usually washed our dirty dishes but on one occasion where we left some in the sink, the staff washed it but it was a cursory wash and not thoroughly clean. This could be an area of improvement.

We would stay here again if we came to Perth again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kyle K, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Sarah LH

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor in relation to your recent stay with us.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked the apartment including the full facilities that were available to you. Also, thank you for your comments in relation to our Reception Team. I am sure they were happy to be mentioned in your review.

It was great to read that you liked the location. We are very central as you mentioned in your review and all main attractions or public transport are walking distance from the hotel.

We will note your comment in regards to the internet. We recently reviewed the internet charged and I am happy to advise that they are in line with the market. I was glad that you found an alternative option to access the internet. I also am happy to advise that we recently implemented 30 minutes free internet for all our in-house guests.

Thank you again for your feedback and time on Trip Advisor and we are looking forward welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Perth.

Warm regards

uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Great location Paid for room on top floor so very quiet. Good facilities in apartment and could not want anything else. Only bad points were the carpet was not cleaned for the 10 days and the balcony window had not been cleaned for a long time, waited a few days then bought a bottle of window cleaner and did it myself, I am not one to complain about little things wrong.
Would stay again on another visit to Perth but it was a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Pay extra for room on high floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle A, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear rubydogUk,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your recent stay with us.

It is great to hear that you were very happy with both the location of the hotel and your apartment itself as well as the facilities we have available.

I will pass on your feedback to our Housekeeping Manager in regards to the apartment carpets and the balcony windows. The cleanliness of our apartments is of the utmost importanct to us and your experience is definitely not up to our usual standards.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza the next time that you are in Perth.

Kind Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed there with hubby for a 4 nights in December. On arrival we were told that we had been upgraded to a better room on a higher floor. Great way to start!!

The room we stayed in was quite spacious. Fully equipped kitchen, washing machine and dryer and large balcony with a view on the city. The room was clean but the chairs and table on the balcony looked a bit old. So did the tiles in the bathroom with a few white marks all over.
The location can't be beat! It is litterally 1 minute walk from the main malls and train stations. A large supermarket (Woolworths) is also very close to the hotel, making it really easy to purchase whatever you forgot at home.

Reception staff was very friendly and professional. Thomas who checked us in was a great help. He made sure everything ran smoothly during our stay: booked us taxis, an amazing table with a view on the river at the restaurant. Two things he did actualy surprised us: one of the nights we didn't book a taxi and were waiting at the front trying to get one. After 5 minutes, Thomas came outside asking us if we were alright and if we needed him to arrange transportation for us! Without us asking for it! Even better, everytime we would come back from Woolworths hands full of grocery, he would leave his desk to open the lift and let us to our floor. Now that is great customer service! But I'm not forgetting about the girls in the morning always smiling and so polite! Well done Medina for having such great staff!

I read comments about the adult shop and TAB located a few door steps from the hotel. That didn't bother us at all and we felt safe all the time. Something worth knowing: internet is not free in your room. You can have free access to it in the foyer for 30 minutes per day. Enough for us to contact family. If you are on a business trip, it would defintely better to have it in your room.

The only issue we had was not having any replacement towels after housekeeping cleaned the room. We had to call reception to get new ones. All the staff was very apologetic and we had new towels within 10 minutes.

This is the first time we are reviewing a hotel and we would definitely come back to Medina!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Chougirl54,

Thank you for staying with us at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza. We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with feedback from your stay with us.

It is great to hear how much you enjoyed your complimentary Upgrade to a higher grade apartment. We do try to provide upgrades were possible to our guests. I am happy to advise that we are currently in the process of re tiling all Bathroom's and Kitchen's in our Hotel,which will greatly improve the overall look and feel of the apartments.

Our team work hard everyday to provide the best Guest Service possible and it is fantastic to hear that Thomas in particular was such a stand out and was so helpful throughout your stay.

I apologise that your towels weren't replaced every day as this is definitely our procedure. I will speak to our Housekeeping department about this issue.

We hope to be able to welcome you back the next time you visit Perth.

Kind Regards,

Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Big apartments, fabulously central. Perth central train station is practically across the road, Beaufort street (an extension of barack street) is one of Perth's best strips for shopping, bars and cafes and Northbridge nightlife is also an easy walk away. The staff are polished and professional and all the amenities are suitable. The only reason I can't bring myself to rate the place higher is that it doesn't have anything to make it remarkable. Mainly because the interior design is a bit blah (but safe). Negatives: the couches needed a steam clean or probably reupholstering and our room key/s stopped working every time we tried going back to our room (but the reception staff were very helpful, efficient and apologetic), HORRIBLE and exorbitantly priced coffee/breakfast (didn't try any other room service). Positives: well equipped kitchen (and close to a large supermarket!), huge bathroom, washing and drying facilities, comfortable bed, quiet, pleasant staff, location, location, location. A good home away from home and an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mmaagg,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback after your recent stay with us.

It is great to hear that you were so happy with our fantastic central location and large apartments.
Our team pride themselves on great Guest Service and I will pass on your great feedback to them in our next team meeting.

I am happy to advise any future guests that we are currently undergoing a minor refurbishment which will help to improvement the standard of our apartments. In addition, as part of our re branding as Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, we will be soon be recieving a new style of key card's which will improve access in our lifts.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Perth.

Kind Regards

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Checked in here today after a long train trip from Sydney on the Indian Pacific. We arrived at the hotel at 10am and the reception staff were very obliging in storing our luggage for us until we could check in at 2pm. We went shopping in the mall around the corner and were contacted by mobile when our apartment was ready to check in promptly at 2pm.

But how disappointing to be allocated a room on the second floor with a small dirty balcony looking at the fire escape of the room building next door. The balcony is so unappealing that we won't set foot on it, much less actually sit out there. I had booked the room two months ago for a three night stay as part of our trip of a lifetime, and requested a high room as I knew the 2 bedroom premier apartments had balconies and I love a having a good view. After expressing our disappointment at reception about the low floor, we were told that the room allocations were only done the day before and the hotel was fully booked and this was the only two bedroom apartment available. I thought that booking so far advance would mean that we would have a fair chance of getting priority in the room allocations, but I guess not. I suspect that the better rooms go to full rate paying guests as I had booked and paid in full two months ago at an advance rate. Obviously there is no advantage in doing that, despite the hotel having your money well in advance and the fact that you are unable to cancel the booking without forfeiting all of your money.

Having said that, the apartment is very spacious and nicely decorated with a good kitchen, washer & dryer and two good sized bedrooms & bathrooms. The bathroom floor tiles are very dirty looking but that seems to be more to do with the type of tile than any cleaning issues.

But I'm still bitterly disappointed about the lack of a view, to the extent that it has dampened my enthusiasm for my first trip to Perth. I booked an apartment in Sydney at the Star Casino at around the same time as I booked this one and they managed to allocate us a spectacular apartment with views of the city and Darling Harbour on the 10th floor, which was a lovely way to start off our holiday and left us with some lovely memories of our stay in Sydney. The crappy view from this apartment is likely to leave us with not so lovely memories of our stay in Perth.

• Stayed January 2013
Kyle K, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Lazy66

Thank you for your time and feedback regarding your recent experience at the Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza.

I was glad that overall we were able to meet your expectations throughout your stay and once again I apologise that the view was not what you expected. I was glad you found time to meet myself and that the issue regarding the view was resolved.

As discussed the hotel is undergoing a bathroom and kitchen refurbishment hence throughout your stay we had limited availability in the Two Bedroom Apartments. This also is to rectify and replace the damaged tiles in all our bathrooms.

I was happy that we were able to accommodate an apartment with "view" for your next confirmed stay.

Overall I was glad that you enjoyed your stay with in particular your comments regarding your check-in where the Team looked after you quick & efficient by means of storing your luggage and contacting you promptly once the room was ready.

I was also glad to read that you found the apartment spacious and nicely decorated. We accommodate to both short and long stay accommodation hence the full extended in-room facilities are available in all One & Two Bedroom Apartments.

Lazy66, on behalf of the Team at the Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, I thank you again for your extended Trip Advisor review and I do hope to see you return back to the hotel upon your next visit to Perth.

Warmest Regards

Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I was shocked when I went to this place. From the outside or even the reception area you wouldnt think much, its not shabby just looks standard...
My apartment was one under the top floor and was facing the main street and skyline, it was amazing.
Room was huge, large kitchen, dining area, lounge area and bathroom. Bedroom itself was a standard size but it may have just seemed standard as most of the room was takne up with the super-king bed, just what I needed while on business travel!
There was a balcony which was a good size but as I said, as this was facing the skyline it was great to sit out in the evening. Although I was on the front of the building there was not noise or distraction.
The room had everything you can imagine, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer, iron and board, hairdryer etc..All cutlery and crockery, pans, knives...there is nothing you would have to ask for.
I would recommend this hotel and it was GREAT value for money due to location, size, cleanliness and hospitality.

Room Tip: Ask for a street facing room, preferably high up, view amazing
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Aleroo

Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor sharing your experience with us.

It pleased me to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to surprise you in a positive way. The team strives hard to make each stay a "home away from home" and I am glad that you were comfortable whilst being on a business trip.

All our apartments have balconies and I was glad that you enjoyed your view. In addition it was great to read that the in-room facilities assisted in making your stay comfortable.

Aleroo, I will make sure that your great feedback will be shared with the Team. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again upon your next stay to Perth and we will make sure you will have another memorable stay with us.

Warmest regards

Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza? Share your experiences!