“One Nighter” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza

You added Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza to your Saves list
Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   138 Barrack St, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (Formerly Medina Executive Barrack Plaza)   |
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“One Nighter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I recently had to go to Perth for work who had booked me into the Medina Executive.
After a hard days work I finally checked in around 10pm, at the reception was a very polite and very helpful young lady. Without requesting she offered me and upgrade to an apartment.... wow..... this is a great end to a hard day's work. The room itself was very good and yes folks it had some real fresh milk in the fridge! Upon having my little cuppa I settled into a great nights sleep. Oh...and by the way thank you to that young lady who phoned me in the room to say that my wallet that I left at reception and I didn'tt even know was heading up to my room, there is no accounting for GREAT service. Thank you Medina.

Room Tip: Just be nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kyle K, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear SantaMe

On behalf of the Team at the Medina Executive Barrack Plaza I would like to thank you for your great feedback. We appreciate the time taken to acknowledge the good work of the Team and I will ensure that this is shared during our next Team Meeting and with the person mentioned in your review. It was also great to know that your complementary upgrade assisted in making your stay comfortable.

We are looking forward to be welcoming you back to the hotel upon your next visit to Perth.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

5 night stay for business. The apartment space is great, good facilities & much better than a normal hotel room. Location is central for shops & pulic transport although the bar & Club X next door mean the area can attract a seedy crowd at night. I would love to recommend this hotel but unfortunately the bed was very uncomfortable(2 singles pushed together with a hard uneven ridge down the middle) & the pillows were very low quality which meant a very poor nights sleep.

Stayed August 2012
Dear Brad J

Thank you for the time taken and your valuable feedback in relation to your recent stay at the Medina Executive Barrack Plaza.

It was great to hear that you liked the hotel and its facilities and that this assisted in making your stay enjoyable. We are located very central to the main shopping district as we are to all public transport.

I was disappointed to hear your comment in regards to our bed and I would like to assure you that this will have our immediate attention. I do would like to advise you that if reception was contacted we could have looked into changing you rooms – we are available 24/7 are happy to assist anytime of the day. Also we supply different kinds of pillows which also can be requested with reception.

Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and if there is anything you would like to discuss further in regards to your stay I can be contacted at the hotel.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed here for ten days for business and had a great room with plenty of space and nice decor , but it overlooked the street which was very noisy . There was traffic noise during the day and early evening then drunken people noise thereafter until the early hours of the morning . If you stay here ask for one of the sides of the building that doesnt face a road ( there are two ) . That being said the rooms are spacious with great big bathrooms ( except for the tiles which are very stained ) and kitchens and there is housekeeping every day . Staff are friendly and very helpful . Parking is very expensive at $25 a day be warned !
Overall this is a great place to stay , a 3 minute walk to the major shopping centres .

Room Tip: Choose a room on the south or east side of the building , these sides dont face a road . Ask that yo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Kyle K, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Floss44

Thank you for your time and your valuable feedback in relation to your recent stay at the Medina Executive Barrack Plaza.

It was great to see that you have enjoyed your stay and that you liked your apartment and the location of the hotel.

I was a bit disappointed regarding your comment referring to noise. At the hotel we have a strict party policy and no noise is permitted. Reception is available 24/7 and any noise complaints are acted upon immediately - I do apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. Our apartments also have thick window glazing and in future a room on our higher floor could be requested to minimize the noise.

Also, we located in the centre of Perth CBD and parking at the hotel is limited but rates are in line with the surrounding car parking facilities.

It was again to see your positive feedback in relation your most recent stay with us and we are looking forward to be welcoming you back to the hotel upon your next visit to Perth.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed in a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment for two nights (Saturday and Sunday). The staff were lovely which is amazing for Perth. The apartment was also lovely - clean and fresh and huge. The couches were very comfy. The balcony was also nice despite the rubbish views, although it would be an idea for housekeeping to wipe down the table occasionally.

The apartments seem to be well cared for. They are certainly not brand new but everything was well maintained which is, sadly, unusual. The only immediate complaint we had was that the bathroom tiles are awful (in both bathrooms). FUGLY! But the showers were great: huge showerheads.

The kitchen is well stocked in terms of cutlery, crockery etc and there are even some nice touches like placemats. They didn't give us a tea towel but we improvised. Don't buy anything from the mini-bar. As an example they wanted $7 for a packet of lollies that you could get for $2.29 from the Woolies across the street. There are also two convenience stores within about 10 metres. The dishwasher was very loud so wait until you go to bed so the TV and dishwasher don't have to fight for supremacy.

We stay in apartment hotels quite often and this place had our vote as the best ever until we went to bed.

As with one of the previous reviewers, we (mainly I) had trouble with the bed. We had two king size beds but as with a frustratingly large number of hotels, it was actually two singles attached together with a gaping chasm in between. If you stay here and you want a real bed, ask for a queen. I ended up having to move one of the bedside tables to the other side of the room, turn the bed around the other way and sleep on a severe angle. Again similar to a previous reviewer we had an unusual linen situation to deal with. There were no sheets, just a doona inside an open-ended doona cover. To keep the doona from slipping out, they tucked it in so when you got in bed and pulled the only linen up as far as it would go, it just barely made it to your navel. It was too hot for a doona and too cold for nothing, so I took the doona out and slept under the doona cover. It was actually quite good, you could use it as a sleeping bag!

Overall the place was great but don't get a king bed and make sure they make the bed properly.

Room Tip: North facing rooms have awful views. Don't get a room with a king size bed. Check the linen...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear JamesM82

On behalf of the Team at the Medina Executive Barrack Plaza I would like to thank you for your feedback. This feedback is valuable to us as we always try to continuously improve our product and services.

It was great to hear that you enjoyed many facets of the hotel including the spacious rooms and its facilities. I will share your comments with the Team as they work hard to maintain the high level of standards everyday.

Also, I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback in regards to your bed and this will have our immediate attention as are the tiles in the bathrooms - unfortunately some tiles in some rooms are stained however our cleanliness is of high standard.

In response to your comment about the linen in your room; I am happy to advise that as of this week all our rooms will have top sheets which should resolve any future linen issues.

JamesM82, I would like to thank you again for the time taken and your valuable feedback and we are hoping to see you return to the hotel in the near future.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed in a 2br Executive suite on a Saturday night.

The positives
The front of house staff were very friendly and attentive and the hotel had a generally good vibe about it and it has good security.
Our apartment was quite spacious, comfortable and the lounge was a nice place to relax.
The balcony while it doesn't really have great views it was private and a nice place to relax also.
Mini bar was well stocked.
The rooms were quiet which was great because it was a Saturday night. We were 7 floors up though.

The negatives
No room service on Saturday. This was a shock. Although there are plenty of good cheap places to get food around.
The showers in both bathrooms had poor water pressure and I think the nozzles needed a cleanout.
We presumed the beds in both rooms were king size beds but they were not! Very sneaky hotel staff had pushed two single beds together (in both rooms!) and made the beds in such a way that we didn't realise until we actually went to bed!! This was VERY shocking.
I slept alone so it was fine but the couple I was travelling with did not sleep very well as a result.
The TV in the lounge room was way too small for the size of the room, actually slightly smaller than the one in the main bedroom. One bedroom did not have a TV.
And also the linen for the beds was not quite the right size and there was only a bottom sheet - no top - just the doona! Which was very weird.
The hotel is situated a couple of doors down from a sex club which had some undesirables hanging around. Actually there seemed to be quite a few homeless and/or undesirables around Perth generally. If you want to be right near the malls for shopping though, this is a great place to stay.

I think overall we were happy with the rooms for the price we paid. Perth is an expensive city and unless you pay top dollar, nothing is perfect. Would I stay there again? Yes, actually I would but I would make damn sure the bedding was as it should be and the showers worked.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Matthew D

Thank you for your valuable feedback in relation to your recent stay at the Medina Executive Barrack Plaza.

It was great to see that you have enjoyed your stay and that the size & layout of the apartment and our Teams friendliness assisted in making your stay enjoyable - It is a great recognition for the Teams work and I will ensure that this will be shared with them. It was also great to see that you would come back to the hotel.

We also have taken note of your other comments. Some of our beds are able to be configured in twin or king however these beds are specially designed for this purpose. This also has been followed up with our respective Department. Also a double bed could be requested for your next stay and we would be happy to arrange this in future.

I am also happy to advise that in response to your feedback that all rooms have top sheets moving forward. We also have committed ourselves servicing our shower heads to ensure full pressure is maintained in all our apartments.

I would like to thank you again for your constructive feedback in relation to your stay and we are looking forward to be welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

At best this is a three star hotel. The rooms are typical Medina, functional and clean. However, for $380 per night (during the week) you would expect a lot more. Internet access is expensive - $22 per day per device. There is a restaurant downstairs (not run by the Medina) which offers great breakfasts and drinks in the evening. Location whilst central, it is opposite the railway line and at the seedier end of Barrack Street.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for a room not overlooking the railway tracks.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Michelle A, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear GDMAUS,

Thankyou for the time you have taken to provide us with your feeback. We are always happy to receive feedback from our guests and discuss all feedback in our Team Meetings.

Our pricing is very comparable to similar properties in Perth and we feel that we provide good value given our central location and facilities. We regret that this was not your impression and offer our apologies.

Our Barrack Street location is a short 2 minute walk from Murray Street Mall which is the main shopping area of the City. We are also only a 5-10 minute walk to both Mt Lawley and Northbridge where you will find a large number of Restaurants, Bar's and Cafe's.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm Regards

Michelle Ashfold
Hotel Assistant Manager
Rome
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Me and my wife were at the Medina Executive for two nights on a tour of Australia (our honeymoon trip) during August, WA's cool months.
At our arrival we were shocked by the hotel's entrance: although this is said to be a 4 stars hotel, at the entrance there was rubbish just about the front door that no-one really cared to collect and through away. The atmosphere of the hall is more than a B&B or of a 2 star pension.
The room was freezing cold and the only heater was an air conditioner that didn't work. When we put it on it started operating in the cold mode and it didn't stop because the remote controller had ended batteries... The only way to stop it was to take the power off of the entire apartment! The front desk lady who answered the phone was very un-polite and sent someone to check after long 45minutes, despite three calls and one personal remark at the front desk!! The remote controller was stuck at 24 degrees and we had to ask for the master one that goes up to 30... We finished to struggle only after 2 hours upon our arrival....
The housekeeping was dreadful: despite the used towels were left on the floor (used and to be changed) we found the same ones back on the rack for a reuse. Plus, the toilette paper finished and... there was no extra roll in the toilette.
Finally, we had an early flight and needed a wake up call. Asked for that the night before but... no wake up call ever arrived. Fortunately, we had our phone alarms set (as an extra awareness).
All this to say, unless you really need to be in the city center (the Medina has an excellent position, although right next a sexy shop and a couple of peepshow theatre...), save your money for another REAL 4 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kyle K, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear GremioRoma

I would like to thank you on behalf of the Medina Executive Barrack Plaza for the time you have taken and the feedback in relation to your recent stay at the hotel.

It was with great disappointment to read your experience and that we have not been able to meet your expectations. This feedback is of great value and I will ensure that all points mentioned are being discussed during our next Department Managers meeting.

I understand your comment in regards to the hotels entrance/lobby however I am happy to advise that we are going through a soft refurbishment and new lobby furniture, decorations and plants are on order and placed in the very near future.

We pride ourselves for offering great accommodation and services and I regret that you did not experience this throughout your stay. It would be great to have the opportunity to rectify this and if possible at all to discuss your stay in more detail in person. I can be contacted at the hotel; alternatively you could send an email to mebp@medina.com.au for me to contact yourself.

I do apologies for the inconvenience caused however looking forward to be hearing from you.

Hotel Manager

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza? Share your experiences!