“Cockroaches in the kitchen!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Perth

You added Adina Apartment Hotel Perth to your Saves list
Adina Apartment Hotel Perth
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Mounts Bay Road, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (Formerly Medina Grand Perth)   |
Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
perth
“Cockroaches in the kitchen!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

i was very disapponted in my stay at the Medina. I was coordinator of a conference at the convention Centre and it was a very handy location for the three day stay. On the second day of my stay i was in the kitchen and noticed a cockroach on the fridge door then a few minutes later noticed another by the sink. I called reception and told them that there were cockroaches in the kitchen and they didn't seem surprised or bothered. After the lack of concern i asked for a tin of mortein. A few minutes later the door knocked and i was handed fly spray?.. I used it as it was all I had and then it seemed to lure them out in total there were 7-8 cockroaches running around the kitchen. (Photos attached) at midnight i couldn't stay in the room any longer and asked to be moved. I was moved to another room without an apology or concern, very matter a fact!!

The next morning when i went to reception i complained and told them that i wanted to know what they were going to do? I never got a call or anything. It wasn't until i complained the following day when i check out that the manager called me. Still no real apology just free parking for one night!! When i returned to work the following week the invoice arrived with the full amount on it. I called and voiced my disgust at being charged for the night that i slept with COCKROACHES and was told that instead of $300 per night they would only charge me $260!! big of them ay.

Also, when i check out i forgot some flowers on the balcony and within a couple of checking out they said that housekeeping had checked and they had been thrown out!! Nice of them to even call the client and see if they mightt want to come and collect them.

NEVER staying there again even it is was FREE. :(

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

I stayed here with my partner for a few days while in transit moving. The company put us up in this accommodation and it sounded flash but we didn't know anything about it till we got there. We were happy to find it was a one bedroom apartment, as we were there for a few days and were able to buy supplies for breakfast and coffee. The bar and bistro downstairs was quite modern and did a decent feed. We weren't impressed at having to pay over $20 pn for parking - and the carpark was also very cramped and difficult to get a big car into, but we didn't really have a choice. Location was very handy to walk into Perth city, ten minutes from the mall etc where we did a bit of shopping. Also handy as a base for driving around town.

The apartment was quite modern, clean, and there were tvs in both bedroom and sitting room. I'd be happy to stay here again if I needed an apartment. For short stays, you can probably find better value in a CBD hotel.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Auckland NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Medina Grand –Perth on two separate occasions albeit very close together 8th to the 11th May 2009 and then again from the 19th to the 23rd May 2009

On our arrival both times we found the reception staff both friendly and helpful, the rooms (1 bedroom apartments) were certainly clean and quite well appointed on our second stay the room we were given had it’s own laundry and full kitchen facilities - The location of this hotel is excellent right next to the Perth Conference Centre, at first we thought this might be a problem with traffic noise, but no nice quite location – The hotel has a restaurant located on the ground floor, the Metro Bar & Bistro very good food, well presented, but a little on the expensive side – You can get a very good breakfast for half the price at the Conference Centre across the road – Overall would I recommended this hotel to a friend? – Absolutely!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

I stayed here on a business trip for 2 nights, and found absolutely nothing to complain about with any aspect of my stay. Studio room was ample for my purposes...Well maintained and clean. Front desk staff were always ready to lend a helping hand, or provide advice/assistance with my business needs, and I highly recommend this hotel for a stay if you're on business or pleasure, due to the central location. I did have some small issues with the The Metro Bar downstairs, in that...for a bar, the furniture seems impractical. It's mostly shin-height sofas/coffee tables, and for someone trying to wend their way through this, it can cause concern when trying to juggle drinks and move outside to the table area for some fresh air. Not overly user-friendly when you consider this is a bar after all, and people are not always using 100% of their mental faculties when trying to navigate through a low-level maze like this. I had no problems, of course, being of sober habits (yeah, right..), but others may find this a safety issue. All in all, a great stay, and I have no problems recommending this hotel as a very professionally run establishment. Top marks...but please consider reviewing the coffee table/sofa obstacle course in the Metro Bar.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

Very close to the Convention Centre (See photo). No complaints except the bus interchange starts operations at about 6:00am.

Bus every minute or less so when we slept with the doors/windows open (Perth is very hot) it was quite noisy but not a big deal either.

It does annoy me that they charge for parking - $25 per night!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

We stayed in these apartments when we first got to Perth. We were impressed with the apartment & the staff were very helpfull to us with regards to service & advice. We only stayed for 3 nights before we left on our travels but found it was in a good postion to get to do the things we wanted to.
Would we go back to these apartments? Absolutley!

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

My wife & I recently spent a couple of nights at the Medina Grand Perth, and were disappointed. Although the location is very convenient (our main concern when booking), the customer service left a lot to be desired.

During our 2 night stay we found the staff to be extremely rude. Examples of this include when our lift key didn't work, we were told we must be doing it wrong beause the receptionist was sure she had programmed it (we found her 5 minutes later standing in the lift continually trying the key which still wasn't working - which still didn't help us get to our room!), Plus when we asked if we could park the car out the front for 20 minutes while we checked out and packed the car, we were initially told we would need to pay $20 for parking, and when I told the receptionist that the manager from the night before had said this would be fine, she told me that it wasn't fine and that I could park for a maximum of 5 minutes or pay $20 (we were eventually given a 15 minute 'free' pass).

The continental breakfast (3 cold slices of toast, fruit salad & cornflakes, with no tea, coffee or juice for $19) was very poor value, and the rooms to be noisy and overly light early in the morning - although we were on the 5th floor, we could still hear traffic all night and the room got light before 6am despite the curtains being closed. In addition on the last morning we couldn't get in or out of our room due to electric wires hanging from the ceiling ourside our room & all the way along the corridor - we hadn't be warned of this at all, and when we couldn't get past the workers didn't apologise, they just said we couldn't pass at the moment.

The one positive was the friendly barman when we stopped off for a nightcap in the hotel bar one night.

The hotel obviously lives off of it's location, and the majority of it's staff do not deserve to work in the hospitality industry.

• Liked — The barman was friendly
  • Disliked — The rude and unhelpful staff on reception
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel Perth? Share your experiences!