“Best-ever dining experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Best-ever dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Two girlfriends and I have been eating out to celebrate our birthdays for at least 20 years, and after visiting Co-Op Dining in East Perth last week, have decided it is our best-ever dining experience. From the sophisticated yet friendly service of Kelli, who is an owner, to the cascade of amazing tastes and exquisite food combinations, we were in awe for the entire evening. And, as a bonus, the decor was modern yet luxurious, so we could hear each other speak, which at our age is becoming an issue. That is not to say the Co-Op is for oldies - the food is sustainable and contemporary, and the presentation impeccable. My personal favourite was the marron presented on a salt block. The restaurant was established last year by husband and wife team from the well-known Dear Friends Restaurant in the Swan Valley, Kelli and Kiren Mainwaring. They pride themselves on sourcing sustainable organic food and excellent wines to match the food, with Kelli providing well-informed personal advice. The care that goes into the meticulously planned menu is obvious from the entrée to the delicious hand-made chocolates served with post-dinner drinks. Our 9 May menu seemed to be tailor-made for us, and the other diners seemed equally as content with their meals. I am gluten free, and I certainly did not feel that I missed out. The five-course degustation catered for me as an individual, so when the other received cake, I received a specially made ice-cream. Final touches throughout the menu included butter dusted with mushroom power, and very fine slithers of radish on the marron to further enhance the sublime flavours. I tried foods I'd never heard of before, such as Morcilla, a Spanish sausage, and chiboust, a pastry cream. Kelli explained every dish to us, and its source, such as the locally caught sustainable herring with Pemberton finger limes (which burst in the mouth, creating a mini-explosion to support the sublime flavour of the fish). We also had as an entree free-range smoked yolk with morcilla, quince, dijon and mushroom, and a delicious pork belly with mushroom and quince. The main course was a choice between open-range organic pork, and grass fed Blackwood Valley beef (with beetroot and eucalyptus). Even though each of us was more than happy with our meals, we also envied our friends’ choices. And because the portions were adequate but small on this five-course menu, there was plenty of room for us to enjoy the banana chiboust, pistachio and coconut ice-cream, which was unequivocally the best ice-cream combination I've very had. Some say Co-Op Dining is expensive, but for a menu packed to the brim with amazing taste sensations, we can't wait to return

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Superb food & wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We went on a Saturday night and the place was full (only one two-seater table free in the whole place). We were lucky enough to get one of the only two booth seats at the back of the restaurant, which added to our enjoyment.
We had the 10 course degustation menu with the matched wines. The food was lovely but I can't recall a stand out dish. The sommelier was very knowledgeable and, when we displayed a deeper interest in the wines, happy to tell us more - this really added to our night.
It wasn't a cheap night >$400 for two with one glass of champagne to start, but for a treat, I would recommend it.
I did visit the bathroom which is outside the restaurant and down a long corridor. On the plus side it was easy to get street parking as the restaurant is tucked away in a quiet East Perth street.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Co-Op Dining - Is this Perths Noma?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

For my birthday we always go to one of the better places around town. This year we had a reccomendation to gtry Co-Op Dining.

So I had a look on line and here on Trip advisor, hardly any reviews anywhere and a couple of negative ones.

The chef is Kiren Mainwaring of Dear Friends in the Swan Valley and I know the wine supplier so knew what to expect from the wine list.

It is hard to say the next bit without sounding a pratt, but some of the negative comments on other sites were not made by people who regularly eat out in decent restaurants. They are probably at home in small places who charge high prices because they can.

If any of you have read my previous reviews you will know that I am not a course by course or photograph everything reviewer. I also think I am fair by pointing out both good and bad points.

That would also be difficult because Kiren changes the menu on a regular basis as a lot of his courses feature foraged ingredients.

The review.

Co-Op do a degustation Menu, 5 or 10 courses, with or without matching wines. We chose the 10 courses without the wine flight as I had an early start the next morning.

The wine list is quite comprehensive and a reasonable selection by the glass.

We had some Trout served on a salt block, not my favourite fish, but well prepared, presented and tasted brilliant.

We also had some very lightly smoked salmon with some foraged samphire from the Swan River. As the Samphire would overpower the subtle flavours it was cooked several times replacing the water each time to reduce the salt content.

Other courses included Duck and the omnipresent Pork Belly. Each flavoured with various interesting local ingredients.

Some of which were gathered from Perth Hills such as Wild Fennel Pollen.

We also had a couple of courses comprising local vegetables.

The desserts were also interesting with a sweet and salty chocolate and a haysmoked pannacotta.

Overall it seems to me that Mr Mainwaring is using his not slight skills to make interesting and different foods, combining traditional and new methods. He is doing this by remembering the reason most people dine out, to experience good tasting and looking food. Garnishes and presentation add to the whole experience and are not there to make things just look good. He has thought about the combinations and dare I suggest he has formed dishes around the ingredients he has foraged. That is, they are only a small part of the plate, but he has combined the other ingredients around them rather than seeing what THEY would go with.

There was not a bad dish on the night.

Having said that there were a couple of things which would have made the night a little more enjoyable for us on the night.

I feel there was too much emphasis on the vegetarian side of the 10 courses. Perhaps one more meat course would have been a better balance for us.

Secondly, if they took a leaf out of Restaurant Amuse book, how about presenting an A5 sheet with the evening menu printed on it? It also serves as a memento of the night.

The other thing that surprised me was the small number of patrons on the night. It was a Saturday and the place was not busy, on what is the traditional Perth night to eat out. I have been told that they are not advertising. Personally I think this is a mistake. This is a very good place to eat, the room is nice the service and the food great also.

I gave a low mark for "Atmosphere" because of the lack of other diners. Although nice and quiet, the buzz from other tables is also a factor I enjoy.

• Visited January 2013