“Nice and shiny” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kangaroo Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Kangaroo Inn to your Saves list
Kangaroo Inn
113 - 123 Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (Perth CBD)   |
Ranked #1 of 53 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Angusthescot
“Nice and shiny”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Kangaroo for 6 nights?Excellent location!Helpful staff and everything is brand new as it has just opened.There is free wifi too.Decent rooms and facilities.

There is no 24 hour reception though.

Our only complaint would be the above.In every hostel we have stayed in there have been ground rules which where adhered to as there was always somebody around.

A message to the management after our stay would be to have somebody around 24 hour.

There where people staying who had no consideration for other guests.Coming back drunk and rowdy in the early hours.I have no problem with this if they went straight to bed.But they stayed up to the early hours shouting and playing music,slamming doors talking on mobiles.

If you don't want this place to turn into party central and go down hill the i suggest you reinforce your rules which you now have in place.

There was also the issue of men in the ladies bathroom all related to the Friday and Sat night.

I think you dealt with the problem in the end and things where better on the Sunday.

Sad that it spoilt an otherwise excellent hostel stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear AngusTheScot,

Thank you for staying at Kangaroo Inn

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on us. I'm happy that overall that you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed our facilities and our staff gave you helpful service.

I do apologise that your stay was disrupted by the unruly behaviour of a few guests. We take yours comments seriously on this incident. Please be advised that I personally spoke to the guests about the incident the next day as soon as I was made aware.

We have a Night Caretaker on site after Reception closes who would have attended to the issue immediately, but unfortunately in this instant they were not alerted and it may be possibly because guests didn't know how to reach the Night Caretaker which is an oversight on our part.

I am pleased to advise that since this incident, we have implemented a number of protocols:

1) We have made signage more prominent advising how our Night Caretaker can be contacted.

2) We have updated our Registration Process and Innkeeper House Rules which make it explicit that we reserve the right to evict guests who are anti-social at any time.

3) I have advised our Night Caretakers to keep an eye out for anti-social behaviour and to evict guests where necessary.

Thank you again for your feedback. My staff and I look forward to welcoming you back to Kangaroo Inn when you are next in Town.

Regards

Jon
Innkeeper @ Kangaroo Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Sompting, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I started loosing my faith in Australia...I arrived two days ago, straightaway I cancelled my first reservation with the first backpackers place when I saw the room (more like a pig farm), then went to another one which was still horroristic. Then I found this place. One of the biggest relieves of my life!!! This is a new Inn, opened it's doors only today. Apparently I was their first tenant :) It's new, everything is new, comfortable wide beds even in the 6 person dorms, air conditioning, card access to the rooms. Toilets and showers are beutiful,new, perfect clean. There is a cosy reading room, a spacious, beautiful lounge/tv room with a huge flatscreen tv, billiard table, a large back garden with BBQ and sunbeds. New fully equipped kitchen, laundry, free WiFi. And again the quality and cleansiness is just like in any stars rated hotel. Fantastic value for the money. You'll have to pay a little more than at the "pig farms" but trust me it worths every single cents.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sebestyen,

Thank you for your review.

I hope your stay at Kangaroo Inn made your holiday to Perth much more enjoyable. We aim to deliver value for money for our guests.

As you know we are not the cheapest budget accommodation around, but I'm sure you agree that the additional benefits such as free WiFi, BBQ facilities, 4-star hotel grade beds, clean facilities and the like more than make up for this.

Thank you again for your custom, and again thank you for the review.

Regards

Innkeeper @ Kangaroo Inn
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This place really needs better signage. The entrance door doesnt face the street and you need to go up a ramp which it shares with the ramen shop next door (side note real good noodles there). It does have signage but the queue of people waiting for a table at the restaurant obscures it.

After you wrestle your way past the long queue for the Japanese restaurant you find yourself in like a tardis of a place. Serious like 4m ceilings spacious modern lobby....totally unexpected and unreal.

They've got a massive outdoor timber deck which would be sweet to use (unfortunately it was raining the day i stayed) . Other common areas include a chill out downstairs area including tv lounge and dining. I think the owners must be National Geographic fanatatics as they had all these magazines lined up alongside other mainstream magazines. The humungous billard table was also a plus, god knows how they brought it down!!

Kitchen was fully decked out, gas stoves, ovens, fridges, freezers and microwaves. AND for a change they didnt ask for a deposit on the plates and knives, obviously they trust their guests unlike other places I've stayed.

On the rooms, it was awesome, I slept in a single room, it felt like a proper bed and i'm not sure why but it seemed bigger than other single beds i've used. I got me own TV and the room had an inroom safe like u find in some hotels. They provided linen and quilts. They made a point at reception that you weren't allowed to use your own sleeping bags which is a good sign they want to keep the place free of bugs.

Toilets down the hall, nice and new, like the hand dryers, you slide your hand in and out, very sci-fi tech.

Service was very friendly, but they seemed new and didnt have things like visitor maps but they were more than willing to give me directions to the tourism outlet, but the point was that they seemed to care which is refreshing

Room Tip: This place is well hidden. Look for the yellow pillar between the Japanese Restaurant and the news o...