“Free food, wifi and excellent service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wickham Retreat Backpackers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Perth
Wickham Retreat Backpackers
You added Wickham Retreat Backpackers to your Saves list
25/27 Wickham Street, Perth, Western Australia 6004, Australia (East Perth)   |
Ranked #3 of 56 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Melbourne, Australia
“Free food, wifi and excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This backpacker is one of the best I've stayed at yet.

Airport shuttle to/from doorstep. Plenty of free in- house entertainment like pool table, table tennis, foxtel (cable), darts. Free wifi and HEAPS of free food; includng an awesome barbecue. This is a big bonus as Perth dining is really expensive; hard to find a meal at $10-below.

I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed 3 nights here recently and I am so glad I did! It wasn't without trepidation as it's been a long time to stay at a hostel, but Wickham Retreat exceeded my expectations. It felt more like a large summer home and it was easy to mix & mingle with other guests. The facilities are clean and kept in good order. The Thurs nite BBQ was really fun. No nickel and diming of their guests (free wifi and access to washer). I don't generally write reviews, but I highly recommend this hidden gem!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here in October for 5days initially ended up being 7days.
Perfect hostel for lone travellers or couples, not a party area head to Northbridge for that.
Bedroom dorms are 4per room loads of space for bags, private rooms are on offer too. Free wifi throughout hostel loads of free food for breakfast and snacks throughout the day. One or two free dinners a week we had a huge BBQ the owner put on and was a great way to get to know everyone.
About a 15min walk into the centre which is nothing. Would totally recommend the hostel and is the best hostel I have stayed in throughout Australia.

• Stayed October 2012
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights in September 2012. I paid $38/night for a 4 bed room. Price-wise it's the most expensive hostel I have stayed at, but you actually get good value for your money. Location is 10-15 minute walk from the city center. There is a free CAT bus stop a couple blocks away if you don't want to walk. You get free food, internet, and laundry. The food is great: shelves full of pasta, noodles, beans, onions, potato's pasta sauce, milk, bread, butter and twice a week they go but real food for you. On Saturday there is a proper BBQ and on Tuesdays/Fridays they stock the kitchen with pizza/sandwiches. The owner Charlie hangs around some nights and he is a really friendly guy. He took all of us out into the city to party one night, paid for the taxi too. His brother also has several shops around the Perth area and if you are looking for work it's very convenient. I would definitely recommend it to those in the area!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Amazing little hostel, the staff were all really friendly and the owner a generous and nice guy!all the free food you can eat (usually noodles, breads, cereals, pastas etc) and a Free BBQ every week. Just a short walk from the CBD and swan river. If I come back to Perth I'll definitely be staying at the Wickham!!

• Stayed October 2012
Oldham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Positives: In quiet residential neighbourhood, 4 bed dorms, heating available for chilly Perth nights, free towel use, small so not many late night parties, bedrooms clean and well decorated

Negatives: Not many places close at hand to grab a snack if arriving at night, could be quite difficult to find if using public transport

Room Tip: Couldn't really see the difference between the standard and delux dorms apart from in the delux...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Wickham Retreat Backpackers was a cozy place to stay for two nights. The ambience is congenial because the guests are considerate of each other and get along well.

My upper bunk bed was located in a 4-bed mixed dorm, which I shared with two young women who seemed to stay in the room most of the time I was there. Their many belongings were spread all over the room, leaving me a small space for my own things. Unfortunately, there are no lockers in the dorms. Very small lockers are provided at no charge; I was able to store my compact backpack in it.

There are several toilets and showers in the hostel, and two kitchens available for cooking up a storm. All pot, pans, dishes, cups, glasses and utensils are provided.

I saw way too much free bread stocked in bins, plus various cereals for breakfast. The kitchen was reasonably clean as were the bathrooms and patio area outdoors. I appreciated the free use of the clothes washer and dryer, and even the clothesline with plenty of clothespins.

The staff seemed friendly enough, and one staff member supplied me with a large, fluffy towel.

The hostel has a small but cozy living room with a fireplace and a large screen TV with plenty of DVDs. The place is rather small, housing about 15 guests. There is a good billiards table in one room, and several refrigerators available for guest use.

Overall, this backpackers place meet my humble needs quite well, and I was glad to stay there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Wickham Retreat Backpackers? Share your experiences!