“no value for much money” 1 of 5 stars

YMCA Jewell House
180 Goderich St, Perth, Western Australia 6004, Australia (East Perth)   |
Ranked #43 of 53 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Oirschot, Nederland
“no value for much money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I don't know what's wrong with these people. I know that Perth is an excessively expensive place but for € 55,- a night I've stayed in pretty hotels all over the world and here I got a worn out boys room, shared showers, shared toilets and most of all: only grumpy faces, wherever you look.
If I would ever go to Perth again, I would NOT consider going back to this place.
It's not that is is very dirty or so, it's just that the price and the goods aren't matching at all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Kalamunda, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had booked my friend from UK in for 3 nights & it was dark when we arrived but reception staff helpful. We went to room which was basic but more than adequate, bonus of being across corridor from bathroom.
My friend said that breakfast was good, plenty of food available & well presented. He would stay there again as it was in good position for most things in Perth & met some interesting people there too.
I think it is a good cheap option for accommodation in Perth which can be so pricey now.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I checked in pretty late at night so there wasn't many people around, first impression of my room was pretty average for what you pay, bit of a funky smell but not too bad. Felt myself itching all night every night so there must be bed bugs or something like that. The next day when I got up and left my room I noticed a lot of strange characters around which kind of freaked me out a little, I didn't know what kind of place I was staying in, I was expecting other travellers like myself. The worst experience I had was sharing a lift with an older woman that was either mentally challenged or off her face that had obviously soiled herself as there was an overwhelming smell of feces and wet patches on the back of her skirt. When I got out of the lift I grabbed my stuff and checked out early. For the two nights I stayed there I didn't feel safe at all entering or leaving the building so I wouldn't like to think how it would feel for a girl! Don't go there, there is better options for less $$ if you look around!

Room Tip: Don't get 1
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Bridgetown, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I've stayed here a few times the last couple years when I just want a cheap room to myself and it is not the nicest place around. Things generally get cleaned daily but not enough to keep up with the amount of people that stay here. Recently there were actually 2 of the 3 lifts working but the middle one was jumping a fair bit and made me (and others) nervous to use. Generally there's only one lift working and have had to use the stairs before when it broke; not fun staying on 8th floor lugging luggage up and down! The breakfast is nothing special, but it is included when you book through wotif. Parking is out front and not secured, unless you get on with the smokers who will help look after things while out there. Never had an issue, but you certainly get the nervous feeling parking here.

Room Tip: Ask for room on south side during summer as no air-con in room, Ask for north side room in winter a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Burleigh Heads, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Highlights include brawls less then 50 meters from the entrance, arrests on the steps of the reception troubled sweaty sleep (no air con) and spotty wifi. Definitely not worth the price but Perth is expensive, look around as much as you can as I have heard some bargains exist (for Perth).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I arrive at the YMCA to find people drinking on the steps to the front door, others under the influence of various substances and people in cars looking to obtain drugs or prostitutes. My impression was this accommodation was a half-way house; an impression made even before I was 20 meters in the door. I checked in early and asked if “…it was OK to leave my bags in the room or behind the counter”. I was informed “no problem checking in early”; thus I was provided a key at reception and took the lift to my floor. As soon as I stepped out of the lift the smell reminded me of a barnyard. Carpet and walls stained, with the over powering smell of eremite. My room was very small, dark and dingy with a mouldy smell about it; thankfully someone had left the window open before I arrived. I left my bags on the bed and proceeded to the toilet; no running water to flush the toilet and to wash hands. On my way down in the lift I notice a sign stating no water service for 6 hours and no mention of this from reception. During the day I made arrangements for other accommodation. Six hours after dropping my bags off in my room I arrived back at reception and informed theme I want to cancel my accommodation, they stated I needed to contact the online broker for a refund and I was happy to pay for one night so I could move on with my life. BUT NO!! To cut a VERY, VERY LONG STORY SHORT!! I had to fight to get my money back for the nights I did not stay and only ended up paying for one night when YMCA wanted me to pay for two nights because I checked in early.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

receptionist or all the staff were like they dont give a thing about the customers. its like they are working without getting paid or something. i slept at deluxe single for 66 dollars. got the student promo. it was very nice room big and clean. fridge tv . wardrobe.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to YMCA Jewell House? Share your experiences!