“An expensive 3 and 1/2 star city hotel with no parking.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra on Murray

You added Mantra on Murray to your Saves list
Mantra on Murray
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   305 Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save
Ranked #24 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Melbourne, Australia
“An expensive 3 and 1/2 star city hotel with no parking.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayted here two nights in early November. I was booked for four nights but I checked out early.

The staff were good. The check-in/out was smooth.

The room was clean and modern, though It had no view and poor airconidtioning (it was a week of 30degC days). My bed was two singles pushed together which normally is ok. This time one of the beds was very hard and one very soft. Not comortable at all.

Beware- there is no parking!

A good point is the location. It is the place to stay if you like shopping and good food. There is an Ibis on the same street , try that first.

Perth is an expensive place to stay, I was paying close to $300 AU for a standard queen room. Which for the quality of the hotel and the room was $150 too much.

Not a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Annecy, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

This hotel is absolutely fabulous! The room was huge and very well decorated, the bed was really comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I've never seen so good breakfast anywhere else - choice was fantastic. The hotel is well situated with restaurants and shops within a shopping distance. I can absolutely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for two nights during our trip to WA. While the rooms were nice (recently refurbished) we found the service quite bad. On the positive, the bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. The linen was nice and we had a little kitchenette which was handy. The hotel is also in a great inner city location. On the negative side in regards to the room, the air conditioner filter looked quite dusty as was the exhaust fan in the bathroom. The pub across the road was also quite noisy on a Saturday night.

In regards to service, We we trying to use the disabled access lift to help us with our luggage and pram out the front but could not get it to work. A staff member from reception was out the front talking to a tour guide and watching us. Instead of stopping to try and help by showing us how to use the lift he just walked off back inside and we ended up having to drag our extensive luggage, pram etc up the stairs.

After checking out we realized we left something in our room and despite several calls to the hotel to try and locate the item and messages left for housekeeping, none of our calls were returned, let alone the item. I felt very disappointed as it was a part for our baby's sterilizer and I made that clear on each occasion that I called.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Newcastle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

No way this is 4 star. I stayed at much nicer Mantra places b4. I reckon this establishment devalues the Mantra name. Room pretty average, no wall furnishings, bare hooks on walls, fused light bulbs not replaced, dodgy noisy aircon, lobby past its use by date. If you want to stay here, please do not pay more than $149 per night.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

False fire alarm seems to be very common in this hotel since I've stayed here couple of times. Past few days there's a fire and we were left on the street with only pajamas for three hours in the night. three levels had water damage and we were told to stay and bear with the water damage foul smell. Yesterday there was no water for whole day and today they had a flooded underground car park with sewage water. although the water is back, it is brownish color. Called the hotel receptionist and she said its okay. Will never come back to this hotel and will not recommend anyone to stay. Poorly maintain building with too many problems and false alarm in the middle of the night is very common. Luckily tonight is my last night here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

I've stayed at several Mantra hotels and this one was the worst I've stayed in.

It's not bad. It's clean and the staff were helpful. It's also centrally located. However, the problem is that the layout of the rooms and the finishings are very poor. Not much thought has gone into making the rooms workable and comfortable.

Examples:

In my room (Queen Studio Deluxe Suite) there was only one window which was in the bedroom. This meant there was hardly any natural light in the other room during the day. I had to have the lights on in the kitchenette and living space even though it was a sunny day outside. It felt like it was nighttime.

The air conditioning unit in my room was - literally - right next to the bed, at face level, when I was sleeping. If it's summer and you don't like the sound of a very old dodgy air-con unit working away two feet from your face while you sleep, you should ask the hotel in advance if they have a room without this setup (I don't know if they do).

The light bulbs in the bedside lamps were a strange, harsh flouorescent-like light. This wouldn't have been so bad, except there was no ceiling light in my bedroom so I had to use the bedside lamps. I couldn't read in bed before going to sleep because the light was so awful and harsh. The two lamps also had different colour light bulbs fitted (one was yellow and one was bluish-white, which created an uncomfortable bedroom atmosphere).

The couch in the living space is small and the cushions are thin (I am small but I imagine a taller person would hate it). It is also positioned at a weird angle to the TV, so you sort of have to angle your body to watch TV.

So none of these problems are the end of the world, and perhaps some of these were just in my room. But for the money I paid I felt this was a terribly designed room and my stay was not comfortable. They clearly have not put much thought into making their rooms workable. I have stayed at other hotels in Perth, in the same price range, and other hotels offer much more value for money.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
MANTRAONMURRAY, General Manager at Mantra on Murray, responded to this review, October 13, 2010
Management response from Amanda Silk, General Manager

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback about your experience at Mantra on Murray.
I apologize that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay and with the room design, if you would like to contact me directly I would be delighted to complete a property inspection of the various room types that we offer to acquire a room type that is more suited to your requirements.
As part of the ongoing maintenance refurbishment programme new air-conditioners have been purchased and are all being replaced between December & January to ensure guests are comfortable.
Once again thank you and I apologize for the inconvenience caused, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on 61 8 9347 7013 or amanda.silk@mantra.com.au
Kindest Regards Amanda
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

Chosen for location but disappointed. They may call it a "suite" but it's a mirage with a strangely placed wall separating the bed from the rest of room yet the TV is to be shared between the lounge and bedroom. Poorly prepared with a half open packet of crisps and lollies left in the kitchen upon entry - and then a few days later, surprised charges on my credit card for mini bar items which I never had. Needs a new broom through room service and management. Disappointment for the Mantra brand which I have always relied upon.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Management response from Amanda Silk, General Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent experience at Mantra on Murray.

I am very disappointed that the services we provided were not what you were expecting and that we did not meet your expectations, your experience falls extremely short of the Mantra Group expectations and my own personal expectations.
The issues you raised have been addressed with the respective departmental managers and additional training implemented accordingly.

In regards to room layout I would be happy to complete a property inspection of the various room types that we offer to acquire a room type that is more suited to your requirements.
Once again thank you and I do apologize for the inconvenience caused, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on 61 8 9347 7013 or amanda.silk@mantra.com.au

Kindest Regards Amanda

Been to Mantra on Murray? Share your experiences!